Sign in to follow this  
strangely

MST3K Revival

With the comeback of MST3K official (You can read the official statements here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k) I thought it would be a great time to start discussing the new show.

So far I'm happy with the choice of new host. Jonah Rey seems like a good choice for host, granted I'm not super familiar with his work. He and the other new actors featured in the Kickstarter videos seem to fill the parts pretty well (Tom Servo will take some time to get used to).

Hopefully it'll hit its stretch goal and we'll get an entire season of episodes (Only $3.3 million to go for a full 12 episodes!!!).

(Tom Servo will take some time to get used to).

Yeah, totally agree there, I hadn't even heard about this until I saw this post, guess that shows how good of a fan I am. I hope they get a full season out of Kickstarter, but I don't think they will, but maybe I'm just being a pessimist. I hope this makes it back on TV somehow, but I'm happy enough we're getting 3 more episodes.

Based on the way it's trending right now we'll get to at least the six episodes. I personally think it'll go over the four million mark. But with the Turkey day marathon and more casting announcements still to come there's a decent chance of making it to the full season.

I'm always a little sceptical about revivals like these, especially when they replace the cast. So much of the charm of MSTK was in the characters, not sure I'll be able to relate to them in the same way, but time will tell. Sometimes it is honestly best to just let things end, I think, but there are occasions when reboots and revivals work extremely well.

I'm always a little sceptical about revivals like these, especially when they replace the cast. So much of the charm of MSTK was in the characters, not sure I'll be able to relate to them in the same way, but time will tell. Sometimes it is honestly best to just let things end, I think, but there are occasions when reboots and revivals work extremely well.

I think Tom and Crow will stay the same for the most part, the various videos with the new cast have shown them to have a similar personality and in Crow's case even a similar voice to the previous incarnations.

Admittedly it is a lot of change to happen all at once, but then I realized that MST3K had aired on three networks (KTMA, Comedy Central and Syfy), had four versions of the satellite of love (Interior sets anyways), two hosts, two voice actors each for Tom and Crow, Three for Gypsy, four for Magic Voice and two eras of mad scientists. Change is definitely a part of the show, for this era it's just happening all at once. It will take some getting used too of course.

For me, ultimately I feel like this is a good idea for a revival. Riffing movies is a pretty timeless pastime and as a series it's definitely not dependent on always bringing back the same people. The only constants are the robots after all (And even in story there was usually a technical reason for their voice changing), so it's at least a series built to come back as needed (Or as wanted).

Edited by strangely

Sorry to bump this topic... but it was announced recently that the classic MST3K is coming to digital network Comet, on Sunday nights starting on September 4! I never got to see it... I haven't got cable... but this should be a lot of fun. They're starting with Manos: The Hands of Fate. :grin: