Because a technic beam is a bit less high than an 1x2 brick (a half plate less high), and you need 7 and a half plates to get the height of a 3 studs plate put verticaly.  

Edited by Courbet

Just found that out myself,  haha. It works exactly as you mentioned before, thanks.

Do you know how many studs long the grey attachment with the grey gear to this elippse is (i guessed 24 but not sure)?

Hello everyone,

I have finished building an accurate replica of Akiyuki's last module to date : GBC Strain Wave Gearing. It is beautifully designed as expected from Akiyuki (although my cat is not that interested this time).

A MPD file is nearly completed (I had fun with all the weird angles on this one) and I will publish it and a draft PDF this week.

Cool! Still waiting on my bricklink order to arrive. Will cross-check your mpd and pdf for sure :)

P.S. Your cat was expecting mice instead of balls

Edited by tismabrick

Wow guys, you are picking up the speed! This is great. But next time you could overtake Akiyuki and publish instructions before he publishes his video. Thanks for the effort.

Can someone explain the black module with big yellow button? Is this necessary when building GBC modules?

1 hour ago, Kim72 said:

Can someone explain the black module with big yellow button? Is this necessary when building GBC modules?

The train regulator is not necessary but it is very convenient.  You could just power your GBC directly off a battery box, but then you would not be able to control the speed and you would have to replace batteries.  The regulator can run from wall power and has speed control.

22 hours ago, Courbet said:

Hello everyone,

I have finished building an accurate replica of Akiyuki's last module to date : GBC Strain Wave Gearing. It is beautifully designed as expected from Akiyuki (although my cat is not that interested this time).

A MPD file is nearly completed (I had fun with all the weird angles on this one) and I will publish it and a draft PDF this week.

Great work Courbet! 
I am really looking forward to build this module as well!
Can you tell me if ball joint *without* pinhole can be used in this module?
I just bought 40 red ones so it would be nice if they fit as well... ;-)

On 11/28/2016 at 7:41 AM, Courbet said:

I have finished building an accurate replica of Akiyuki's last module to date : GBC Strain Wave Gearing.

Amazing!

5 hours ago, Theo van Vroenhoven said:

Great work Courbet! 
I am really looking forward to build this module as well!
Can you tell me if ball joint *without* pinhole can be used in this module?
I just bought 40 red ones so it would be nice if they fit as well... ;-)

While I could not do a test with 36 of these balls (32474, right?), I exchanged some on my model and did not see any change of behaviour, so it should work ok with a full set of these.

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around this thread for a while now, but I thought it was about time to say thanks. I'm located in The Netherlands and I started to be interested in Lego GBC around October 2015. Through some The ReBricker instruction videos on rebrickable.com I ended up here on this forum and I followed all posts made in the Akiyuki project ever since.

So far I’ve built 10 Akiyuki GBC modules and I’ll build a few others for sure. I won’t name all 10, but my top favorites will certainly be the ball factory, train module and invisible lift. I had a lot of fun buying the parts for these modules (thank you BrickLink), building them,    watching videos online and keeping an eye on this thread and Akiyuki’s work. I think I also lost some weight while chasing Lego balls through our living room :tongue:

So hereby I’d like to thank of course Akiyuki as he’s simply a genius! His Lego GBC modules are like awesome machines, really amazing what this guy can do with Lego! Besides that I’d really like to thank all contributors to this forum thread; such accurate, beautiful and easy to follow instructions! Blakbird, Courbet, The ReBricker and all others, thanks for all the hard work done and for making this possible! :laugh:

Below a first simple video from my side. Sorry for the low quality and darkness. Also the Fork to Fork was giving me a hard time… guess it needs some maintenance. It’s a layout of 6 Akiyuki modules on our dinner table. The story is that I was planning to build the Train   Module, but couldn’t decide on which loading station to go for. Obviously the crane loader had to be built, but I liked the other one as well, so I built both of them and found a way to incorporate both in a layout. Hope you like the vid :grin:

Wow, great setup.  I like the additional switch track you added to the train so you could use both loaders.

20 hours ago, Courbet said:

While I could not do a test with 36 of these balls (32474, right?), I exchanged some on my model and did not see any change of behaviour, so it should work ok with a full set of these.

Thanks for checking!

Do you have a complete partslist available already?

Or am I just too impatient? :wink:

19 hours ago, Lego_GBC_NL said:

Below a first simple video from my side. Sorry for the low quality and darkness. Also the Fork to Fork was giving me a hard time… guess it needs some maintenance. It’s a layout of 6 Akiyuki modules on our dinner table. The story is that I was planning to build the Train   Module, but couldn’t decide on which loading station to go for. Obviously the crane loader had to be built, but I liked the other one as well, so I built both of them and found a way to incorporate both in a layout. Hope you like the vid :grin:

I agree with Blackbird, the coupling of the additionnal switch with the unloader is a great idea and is well done. Bravo!

1 hour ago, Theo van Vroenhoven said:

Thanks for checking!

Do you have a complete partslist available already?

Or am I just too impatient? :wink:

I will publish my mpd file tomorrow, or friday at worst.

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:38 AM, tismabrick said:

Actually we were asked by Akiyuki to not publish anything before he finished his post and video ;)

any reasons why?

Hmmm, isn't it obvious?

(In case it is not: It is not devilish thought, if someone wants publish his own MOC first.)

You can now find on Bricksafe my mdp file of Akiyuki’s latest masterpiece. I have also made a draft PDF with better resolution than before. Search for "Akiyuki Project" on Bricksafe to access both files.

A word about Akiyuki’s Strain Wave Gearing GBC module:
- although the Stepper part is the one Akiyuki used on Cycloidal Drive, I have modelled the steps a bit lighter (removing bricks and plates) to be more accurate to Akiyuki’s design. Akiyuki fixed the Stepper with frictionless pins on one side to give more play and I think it helps greatly to reduce friction from that mechanism. Using those on Cycloidal Drive too is probably a good idea.
- speaking of friction, there also can be a lot of it with the double gearing around the back turntable if the 12t bevel gears are not properly synchronised.
- at my first attempt at running the module, the main shaft, built with classic bricks and plates, collapsed rapidly under the load, so I used Technic bricks to rigidify it and I have kept it that way
- the stopper rod must be timed properly for the module to work correctly. The module is very reliable once properly set-up.
- there is a slight difference between Akiyuki’s video and his pictures with the very first part of the output slide (light bluish gray ramp is 7 studs long on pictures and 8 in the video), I have done both and in my experience the module behave the same. In the end I modelled the video version.
- The rubber band is the 3x3 kind, very common in red.

Finally, I have borrowed Philo’s modelling of the Type 3 Turntable from his impressive 42043 Ldraw model to use in mine.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:51 PM, tismabrick said:

Cool! Still waiting on my bricklink order to arrive. Will cross-check your mpd and pdf for sure :)

Let us know if you found some parts that you interpreted differently.

8 hours ago, Courbet said:

You can now find on Bricksafe my mdp file of Akiyuki’s latest masterpiece. I have also made a draft PDF with better resolution than before. Search for "Akiyuki Project" on Bricksafe to access both files.

A word about Akiyuki’s Strain Wave Gearing GBC module:
- although the Stepper part is the one Akiyuki used on Cycloidal Drive, I have modelled the steps a bit lighter (removing bricks and plates) to be more accurate to Akiyuki’s design. Akiyuki fixed the Stepper with frictionless pins on one side to give more play and I think it helps greatly to reduce friction from that mechanism. Using those on Cycloidal Drive too is probably a good idea.
- speaking of friction, there also can be a lot of it with the double gearing around the back turntable if the 12t bevel gears are not properly synchronised.
- at my first attempt at running the module, the main shaft, built with classic bricks and plates, collapsed rapidly under the load, so I used Technic bricks to rigidify it and I have kept it that way
- the stopper rod must be timed properly for the module to work correctly. The module is very reliable once properly set-up.
- there is a slight difference between Akiyuki’s video and his pictures with the very first part of the output slide (light bluish gray ramp is 7 studs long on pictures and 8 in the video), I have done both and in my experience the module behave the same. In the end I modelled the video version.
- The rubber band is the 3x3 kind, very common in red.

Finally, I have borrowed Philo’s modelling of the Type 3 Turntable from his impressive 42043 Ldraw model to use in mine.

Let us know if you found some parts that you interpreted differently.

Wow great work for doing this

10 minutes ago, nychase said:

Have you happened to output a full BSX inventory yet?  

I will be creating one but not until I finish the instructions just in case anything changes.