ZigZag Module with indexer and outputramp (yellow) by Akiyuki

www.YouTube.com/watch?v=sUtS52lqL5w#t=9

min. 01:13 - 01:29

I never was in GBC. Now i have read this topic and i have to say: Just WOW. Incredible what can be achieved if some talented guys are working together. My hat to you, very admirable. And all these BI for free. Very altruistic!

Well, because i have quite no system parts and buying all these parts via bricklink would not be allowed by my wife ;-), i had the idea, just to build one or max two of these modules. So may i ask you GBC akiyuki experts for an advice:

Which one would you recommend if i could build exactly one, so what is the one and only?

Which two would you recommend if i could build two. These two should be able to be linked together quite easily, ie. the output of the first should directly go in the Input of the second one.

A side-constraint: would be great if the recommened modules would not contain too many rare parts, which are quize uncatchable

Any advices?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Kumbbl

@Kumbbl: The Catch & Release module is fine to start

there is no problem to config the outputramp with normal technicbeams and roll back to the input

I'm Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I have tried searching for the answer, but can't find anything yet.......

• I have a list of all my sets and parts in Rebrickable (and Peeron).

• I can open a Brickstore file and see the parts I need to build (for example) the Pneumatic Module.

• How can I relate the two systems so I can see what I need to buy to build this module?

I think the easiest way is to create a Private MOC in Rebrickable and import the Brickstore file.

Then Rebrickable will show you how many percent you have already and all the same nice features as with public MOCs.

@Kumbbl: The pneumatic module is pure technic and the part count is rather low, so I'd say go with this one first.

+1 ... Go for the pneumatic module, the pneumatic logic is fascinating.

Which one would you recommend if i could build exactly one, so what is the one and only?

Which two would you recommend if i could build two. These two should be able to be linked together quite easily, ie. the output of the first should directly go in the Input of the second one.

That is pretty hard for anyone to answer for you because the depends on what you find interesting. If I was going to have only one it would probably be the Invisible Lift and if I were to add one more it would be the Cycloidal Drive.

I'm Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I have tried searching for the answer, but can't find anything yet.......

• I can open a Brickstore file and see the parts I need to build (for example) the Pneumatic Module.

• How can I relate the two systems so I can see what I need to buy to build this module?

Just use the subtract feature in Brickstock. Subtract the module you want to build from your parts. Any quantity that ends up negative is something you still need.

Hello everyone , I begin to reproduce the GBC , thanks to your instructions ( blakbird 's) by I have a concern not to find in France the pipe to make the marble run . that you advise me ? thank you in advance

@blakbird im going to stick my hand up and do the spiral lift type 2 but I have some questions:

1 should I do the extended version or the smaller version?

2 ramp or no ramp?

thanks

Hello everyone , I begin to reproduce the GBC , thanks to your instructions ( blakbird 's) by I have a concern not to find in France the pipe to make the marble run . that you advise me ? thank you in advance

I don't know how to get it in France, but you can use nearly any 3mm pneumatic tubing.

@blakbird im going to stick my hand up and do the spiral lift type 2 but I have some questions:

1 should I do the extended version or the smaller version?

2 ramp or no ramp?

I would recommend the extended version. I think it needs a ramp in order to be usable.

I don't know how to get it in France, but you can use nearly any 3mm pneumatic tubing.

I would recommend the extended version. I think it needs a ramp in order to be usable.

Ok thanks

The Basket Shooter instructions have now been tested. My thanks to OneMoreRobot for doing this.

basket_shooter.png

There have been a couple of alterations from the alpha build instructions but nothing that major.

The beta instructions are available for download

The design has also been loaded into Rebrickable.

Note that for the Akiyuki Project, these instructions should still be considered to be in draft form. Blakbird's panache for instructions and alignment to the Akiyuki project standard have yet to be applied.

Notes about the build;

1. As identified earlier, the construction of the underside of the upper ramp with Akiyuki's original model is a total unknown. There is no known source showing the appearance of the ramp underside.
  2. There are two places in the original build where Technic bricks were used when there seemed to be purpose for them; the two 1x2 Technic bricks on the base plate and the 1x6 Technic brick on the trigger cover. You may decide to use normal system bricks in their place.
  3. OneMoreRobot reported an issue with his build which I did not encounter with mine. The aforementioned 1x2 Technic bricks were getting displaced when moving the trigger (using the control panel). His solution for this was a 1x2 plate on top of the 1x2 brick and a 2x6 plate on top of the 1x2 plated. Your actual mileage may vary.
  4. The build was reversed engineered from Akiyuki's video but some variations exist;

• the centre framework which spans from the left to right side. I originally built this as per the original Akiyuki model. However, I found that the centre of the upper ramp sagged in the middle. I therefore reworked the centre framework to provide a means to support the centre of the upper ramp with two 5L Technic beams (they can be hard to fit on but persevere).
  • added additional support to the right hand side of the control panel
  • the exit ramp differs from that shown in Akiyuki's "deconstruction" video. This build attempts to create the ramp seen briefly in the vidoe of the second version of the build. The reference material is somewhat spartan on that video.
  • the ramp between the upper ramp and the trigger mecahnism uses hinge bricks. Akiyuki appears to have used 1x2 technic bricks plus a technic pin but I found the mounting on the supporting plate too flimsy.

I have no qualms about these instructions being modified/improved as you see fit. Like the Akiyuki Cup-to-Cup GBC build instructions, these instructions simply represent an interpretation of Akiyuki's original model.

Finally, a callout to OneMoreRobot for the suggestion regarding the exit ramp. It works very nicely mate. Thank you.

Regards,

David

[Edit: added Rebrickable link. Acknowledged OneMoreRobot's exit ramp improvement].

Edited by djm

I think the easiest way is to create a Private MOC in Rebrickable and import the Brickstore file.

Then Rebrickable will show you how many percent you have already and all the same nice features as with public MOCs.

Thanks Theo and Blakbird

Duh. finally found out how to create a "Private" MOC.

Edited by Chilly

What you are doing is great for the GBC fans!

I really enjoy those modules, but had a hard time trying to find some guidance on where to start. Your work will be very usefull to me.

I was considering to start with the Ball Factory, but I believe it's madness for a beginner. Since now I can find great instructions and parts list for many models, I'll start with something easier.

Thank you!

I'm searching for a source for buying a bunch of suitable balls for my first Akiyuki module - either original TLG or third party, doesn't matter for me ... hmm, i was sure i had already read about this in this topic but sorry, could'nt find it anymore... so, could someone please post a recommendation where to buy balls for a reasonable price... thanks a lot in advance!

Now I am left with the question of whether or not to include this compressor in the instructions. It is certainly NOT Akiyuki and furthermore it is rather crude because I have no talent. On the other hand, anyone can simply elect not to build that part. Thoughts?

The compressor add-on is definitely a plus. Also, when I built mine (a while back), I found that adding an air-tank makes the motion much 'smoother'. My $0.02, of course.

Edited by DrJB

Mogwai messaged me with a link to a hitherto unknown (to me) photo of the underside of the Basket Shooter. Since the size of the image is beyond the accepted dimensions here on EuroBricks, I'll post the link to it instead Nice find Mogwai!

Interestingly, it looks like the version 2 of the Basket Shooter with the following easy to see differences;

• the "H" construct on the side
  • a shock absorber near the control panel not present in version 1
  • the middle linear actuator is adjusted from the side away from the control panel

Someone else is welcome to take my LDraw file and amend/publish accordingly!

Regards,

David

Mogwai messaged me with a link to a hitherto unknown (to me) photo of the underside of the Basket Shooter. Since the size of the image is beyond the accepted dimensions here on EuroBricks, I'll post the link to it instead Nice find Mogwai!

This blog has many high-res pictures of different models.

Some useful tongs are also included:

GBC_Tongs_02.jpg

Edited by goggel

Nice find! I wish we had access to this image earlier because it really shows a lot of changes. Most obviously, Akiyuki has done away with the baseplate altogether. This has a lot of advantages for access to the mechanisms. A couple of side effects of this are that the adjustment actuators are no longer anchored to the floor so they need to be supported differently. Likewise, the triggers are not supported on the bottom so it looks like a rail has been added to support them from the top but still allow them to slide side to side. The control panel is now collapsible and held either out or in by a spring damper. Extra long slip joints have been added to the controls to make this possible. There is also an L motor, a clutch gear, and a ratchet. The motor is very remote from the triggers so this means a long drive axle is needed. The new input hopper lifter is also driven from this.

Incorporating all these changes would be a huge amount of work. For the moment, I will concentrate on updating djm's instructions to "v2" which will be only minimally different in design but different in presentation. At some future date, I may try to update the whole thing to this "v3".

I'm about halfway through the spiral lift, hoping to have it done in the next few days

Hate to be that guy.....did you give up on the elevator lift? Other than invisible and Basketball I was most looking forward to it.

Hate to be that guy.....did you give up on the elevator lift? Other than invisible and Basketball I was most looking forward to it.

I just have not had time to do it yet

What's Elevator? the one that's often behind the Marble Run? (two buckets going up and down on string?)

yes that one