Sign in to follow this  
CraigR

Started building my vintage sets

Hello :-D

I'm new to the forum but have been a long time fan of lego, ever since I had them as a kid. Now that I'm emerging from my dark ages I've caught the bug for it again and started sorting out my old sets.

They aren't quite finished yet but will get there eventually :-)

For now, I've attached some pics...

DSC_1203_zpsw03ekwt4.jpg

DSC_1201_zpsg1lpzw12.jpg

DSC_1198_zpsomenmbuz.jpg

That's it for the moment. I'll post back when they are completed.

Hi Craig, welcome to EuroBricks and welcome back to the world of LEGO.

As a child of the 80s, too, I love to see classic Town. I therefore look forward to see your collection. Are you intending to build a town layout?

It's the first town set that got built Chubbs :-) plenty more to come!

Hi Craig, welcome to EuroBricks and welcome back to the world of LEGO.

As a child of the 80s, too, I love to see classic Town. I therefore look forward to see your collection. Are you intending to build a town layout?

Thanks for the welcome laka, I don't intend on building a full layout but I have around 30 sets to build ranging from simple vehicles to an airport and space shuttle kit too. I'm building them all one at a time to see what I have missing and set about getting the missing items to complete them and then maybe either store them or sell them to fund my true addiction, Technic!

Thanks for the welcome laka, I don't intend on building a full layout but I have around 30 sets to build ranging from simple vehicles to an airport and space shuttle kit too. I'm building them all one at a time to see what I have missing and set about getting the missing items to complete them and then maybe either store them or sell them to fund my true addiction, Technic!

That's a shame about the layout :wink: but I'm sure there will be interested buyers out there, if you decide to sell. Until then enjoy your town sets :smiley:

Edited by laka

It's more down to space than anything. But the enjoyment in building the sets and reliving my childhood memories. I'm sure this is a very common thing in the lego world ha ha.

Anyway... More progress...

DSC_1204_zpsphxdxhrs.jpg

Sadly I am missing an engine and the tail piece is from a different set (which is in the queue for building) and missing a Base plate. Still, good for an afternoon :-)

Building old vintage sets is such a joy.

I still remember back in 2010 i think it was, when i found all my childhood LEGO and came out of my first dark age.

I rebuilded all of the sets i still had instructions for.

First of all it was so nostalgic. Secondly it was so much fun to se the pile of sets placed all over the livingroom.

Memories :wub:

And i also missed parts here and there. Such a pita. But at least you can build most of it :wink:

Edited by KlodsBrik

All the sets which were built on a pier were simply brilliant.

Plus I used to like the way on your fire station set, the hose reel opened up, flip up the roof, open the doors and hinge down the reel. It was cool back in the day. I was always less impressed with the space tyres on the 4x4 included with that set. Those tyres always go oily to the touch now they are getting old.

Edited by paul_delahaye

Agreed that missing parts are a royal pita but sadly it's a nasty side effect of moving home a lot over the years. I also agree that the pier sets are uber cool. I have one more pier set to build which, in my opinion, trumps the police pier set by a mile!

Anyway, some more progress...

DSC_1219_zps4tcw9ynn.jpg

DSC_1218_zpszpuk29un.jpg

I'll complete the snorkel set tomorrow (early night as I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow) but very excited that all the set specific parts are here so far :-D

Great! The pier and the garbage truck were on my wanted list back in the days!

Once in a while I rebuild my eighties and nineties sets too, love it!

Ah, I love the red airplane and the yellow garbage truck! :) These vintage sets really gives me good childhood memories/flashbacks :wub: Thanks for sharing

Thanks both! Not managed to do much this evening but I have managed to finish the snorkel team and have some fun with my fire crew minifigs...

The finished engine...

DSC_1223_zpsy0oo7jgu.jpg

Tried to get crew together but they are a nightmare...

DSC_1225_zps6mjeuqme.jpg

You can see dai falling over on the front right and due to health and safety all the guys on the roofs have to wear safety equipment...

And that random guy by the flag?

Some say legoland Denmark was built so he could have a holiday home...

All we know is, he is called The Fig.

Yeah. I know. I need another hobby already ha ha.

Those old Harbor sets are just the best. Really fun designs.

I've been putting together some old, vintage sets recently too, and a couple of things have jumped out at me:

1) The diversity of Town sets back then was terrific. So many different types of sets that TLC largely ignores now, in favor of yet-another police station.

2) Of course the set designs are more simplistic than current designs, but they have an undeniable appeal. I guess I'd call it "charm." It's hard to describe.

3) TLC must think that kids have gotten really stupid in the past 20 years. The instruction manuls these days are watered down to the point of being insultingly simple. I recently put together the old Yellow Castle, that I acquired in a tub of old bricks. It's a 700-piece castle that you put together in TWELVE numbered steps! These days, the instructions for that set would be 3 manuals, and you'd have piece calls-outs, and you'd never put on more than 2-3 pieces per step. WIth those old manuals, you actually have to pay careful attention and study each step to identfiy what's new. Why does TLC make their instructions so easy these days? Are kids really so dumb? I can't figure this one out.

I went through the same thing back in 2010 when I got the bug again. Even though I had all my 80's sets in original boxes I still found a few missing parts as I went through the sets. Its like being in a time warp when I get the old sets out. love it :classic:

Most LEGO sets in the '80s, '90s and early '00s were great and had instructions that were contained on one booklet or sheet of paper. These days, it has gotten difficult to find so much as one LEGO building set where

there's only a few steps to follow. I most certainly agree that the building instructions have been dumbed down. I remember when I put together my 6441 Deep Reef Refuge set back then, only to feel I've accomplished

something when I was done. The same thing happened when I put together my 7140 X-Wing Fighter after receiving it as a Christmas gift back in 1999. Both sets had one booklet for instructions, a LEGO Shop at Home

pamphlet, plus a brochure featuring their product lineups for the year (with the LEGO Club Magazine subscription on the back cover), that's it, unlike the multiple instruction books that they give us today for each of

the individually numbered bags.

Edited by Justin

After some time spent looking through my instructions (and my very poor memory) I've got a rough list of the sets I have (give or take a brick or 2):

715 - Basic Building Set (7+) - 1990

1497 - Pitstop and Crew - 1987

4011 - Cabin Cruiser - 1991

4031 - Firefighter - 1991

4543 - Railroad Tractor flatbed - 1991

6345 - Aerial Acrobats - 1993

6354 - Pursuit Squad - 1990

6356 - Med-Star Rescue Plane - 1988

6358 - Snorkle Squad - 1987

6368 - Jet liner - 1985

6381 - Motor Speedway - 1987

6385 - Fire House - 1985

6389 - Fire control Centre -1990

6392 - Airport - 1985

6430 - Night Patroller - 1991

6480 - Hook and Ladder truck - 1986

6511 - Rescue runabout - 1992

6521 - Emergency repair truck - 1987

6530 - Sports Coupe - 1990

6540 - Pier Police - 1991

6541 - Intercoastal seaport - 1991

6590 - Vacation Camper - 1988

6675 - Road and Trail 4x4 - 1988

6676 - Mobile Command Unit - 1986

6693 - Refuse Collection Truck - 1987

7715 - Push Along Passenger Steam Train - 1985

7722 - Steam Cargo Train Set (4.5v) - 1985

That's the list so far, and doesn't include several Technic sets. So I have a few to say the least :-)

Edited by CraigR

Thats a great Vintage Sets you have!...i had the fire truck back then and what left now is some parts which i might think of reconstruction it again.

so any other Vintage Sets you have? love to see Fresh Vintage threads ...Thanks for bringing back the memories :)

Good Luck

I've been putting together a lot of my vintage sets and someday will take pictures.

It has dawned on me that 1984-1989 is my favorite for castle, 1989-aprox 1992 for pirates, and 1990-1993 for town. I have some sets from 1994-1996 that do not hold nearly the value for me. I may start projects where I complete some lines I started and never finished from those eras utilizing brick link. At this point it might be more rewarding for me to expand my 4wide airport than to ever start a 6wide airport.