Sign in to follow this  
Jockos

End of Lego

I don't know, if it's ever been discussed, but what do you think: will Lego ever end? If your answer is yes, please, write down why, when, etc.

Yes they probably end when they make some huge mistakes again.What mistakes I think for example quality of bricks become worse thanks to new materials...

They could make some VERY bad choices, like a shift in the target audience (ex, all for kids) that can reduce the amount of consumers by a ton, but it's going to take some REALLY dumb changes to permanently end Lego.

Remember, they almost went bankrupt, but they were saved by Bionicle.

Another question came to my mind: what would they do with their inner collection? Would they keep or sell it? Has anyone seen the sets together from Day 1?

No. Because, like asking if McDonald's will ever end, LEGO is now a permanent fixture of our established culture - only if our culture ends will either ever 'culturally' end. However, where to many that makes sound business sense, after time it actually reverses itself. A company like that can become so intertwined with the demands it must satiate, placating the global partners it now has, and designing, producing for the machinery of it all, that it no longer has an identity away from that, nor can it really "do its own thing anymore....". Not without the approval of the many.

So LEGO will not end. Even as a business. No. But, like all 'big business', it does run the risk of transforming into something that is thereafter a certain point of accommodation, only LEGO by name. Capitalism, sadly, only really has one good side. And some would argue, even here, that that is happening now, as we speak.

But LEGO, as a secondary market, will continue to thrive. Even if LEGO ended today, it will remain nostalgic for anyone who is currently a toddler well into their own old age. And of course, that doesn't begin to factor in LEGO as an artistic medium, whatever age one is: An MOC-er can be an adult, or an infant, for whose to say more on the validity of our purpose than are we? And post-apocalypse, if everything is not incinerated, will be a perfect market for found LEGO... As a futuristic nomad, I'll gladly sacrifice the weight of one more weapon, in order to carry a bag of LEGO instead. There'll be peddlers, caravans, black markets, all over again as a new society ferments, as there always is, and because plastic is immortal, as is the human capacity to solve and build, there will be LEGO there, I can assure you.

So, though in soul, or trademark, it might die, LEGO will never end. Besides, think about this: There is not another word for it - which is a pretty good indicator of thing's social longevity.

Edited by notaromantic

Companies do not end, their assets can be sold off completely or in pieces. Even the name can continue on like Eastman Kodak.

The Vault collection could be bought by a museum interested in the history of children toys or someone with enough money.

They definitely could, especially if they decide to find "eco-friendly" materials for their product. You, know their product that's infinitely reusable and defeats said purpose for going eco-friendly, but still spending millions of dollars on it regardless.

Having too many themes out would also be an issue as well, especially if there's a shortage in one of their largest markets.

Trying to push too hard into the oversaturated mobile market could also bring about some issues.

Another issue would be prioritizing the manufacturing of products that aren't in demand, in the place of those that are.

Having too many licenses that make no economical/profitable sense (in the long run especially regarding demand) would also be and issue, especially if they got licenses to cartoons that haven't been socially relevant for 30+ years, app games that stopped being popular over 4 years ago (even if they are being developed into movies), and movies that were socially relevant two+ generations ago.

It would be even worse if they tried to do that all at once without a second thought...

Oh, wait...

TL;DR

Lego is doing too many things at once. They should choose to focus on the Lego System proper, rather than what's painted on them, what they're made off, or whether they interact with other toys. Consistently doing all of these things can make them lose money. If they push too far, there may not be any help trying to save them.

Edited by Penkid11

They definitely could, especially if they decide to find "eco-friendly" materials for their product. You, know their product that's infinitely reusable and defeats said purpose for going eco-friendly, but still spending millions of dollars on it regardless.

Having too many themes out would also be an issue as well, especially if there's a shortage in one of their largest markets.

Trying to push too hard into the oversaturated mobile market could also bring about some issues.

Another issue would be prioritizing the manufacturing of products that aren't in demand, in the place of those that are.

Having too many licenses that make no economical/profitable sense (in the long run especially regarding demand) would also be and issue, especially if they got licenses to cartoons that haven't been socially relevant for 30+ years, app games that stopped being popular over 4 years ago (even if they are being developed into movies), and movies that were socially relevant two+ generations ago.

It would be even worse if they tried to do that all at once without a second thought...

Oh, wait...

TL;DR

Lego is doing too many things at once. They should choose to focus on the Lego System proper, rather than what's painted on them, what they're made off, or whether they interact with other toys. Consistently doing all of these things can make them lose money. If they push too far, there may not be any help trying to save them.

It doesn't seem to me that all of these things are causing Lego to go dowhnill anytime soon. Rather, they recently became the #1 toy brand in the world.

Back to the original question, though. The universe itself as we know it will end some day, in the heat death of the universe. Given this, humankind will not stick around forever, and this means Lego's days are not infinite either.

I do hope Lego sticks around for the rest of my life, though. :sweet:

ALL THINGS MUST END.

But most of us will probably do so before LEGO does.

Those bricks last a long time!

Yep!

ALL THINGS MUST END.

But most of us will probably do so before LEGO does.

Those bricks last a long time!

Will you put who will get the bricks in your will?

Personally I hope that TLG has at least another 50 years left in them if not more (but 50 years should be enough to keep me in Lego for some time)

But eve if the unthinkable were to happen and the flow of new kits and bricks were to abruptly halt, Lego as a toy will go for quite some time in the secondary market. Just think about other iconic toys with cult-like following. Lionel stopped making trains in 1969, saw their chain of direct to consumer toy store get whittled away to nothing, filed for bankruptcy protection several times the 1980's before finally being liquidated in the 1990's. Still, in my area there are several toy train conventions and trade shows _every year_ where thousands of fans buy sell and barter fifty year old engines, rolling stock and track. Granted, most of the fans are, themselves at least fifty years old, but if defunct toy trains are good for half a century of after market life, a far more flexible (and arguably more popular) toy like Lego should be able to do at least as well, if not far better.

Personally I hope that TLG has at least another 50 years left in them if not more (but 50 years should be enough to keep me in Lego for some time)

But eve if the unthinkable were to happen and the flow of new kits and bricks were to abruptly halt, Lego as a toy will go for quite some time in the secondary market. Just think about other iconic toys with cult-like following. Lionel stopped making trains in 1969, saw their chain of direct to consumer toy store get whittled away to nothing, filed for bankruptcy protection several times the 1980's before finally being liquidated in the 1990's. Still, in my area there are several toy train conventions and trade shows _every year_ where thousands of fans buy sell and barter fifty year old engines, rolling stock and track. Granted, most of the fans are, themselves at least fifty years old, but if defunct toy trains are good for half a century of after market life, a far more flexible (and arguably more popular) toy like Lego should be able to do at least as well, if not far better.

Well not to mention, Lionel has been pieced back together and continues to make products (trust me, they weren't making O-Gauge Lionel SD70MAC's back in the 1950's :grin: ). Anybody also recall when Hostess Foods went bankrupt and we had to go a year without Twinkies? They eventually came back. So arguably Lego could die, property could go for sell, then in 5 years Lego re-enters the market under new ownership.

Wow! Thank everyone for the exhaustive answers! Now I believe, it won't stop. (Nor even Technic)

Again, thank you very much. I give you another clue for thinking: in the near future (let's say in 20 year's time) will be there just 10 themes or this number goes up to 50?

If you think about it they are already doing it.....

Changing colors on bricks and base plates, anyone that thinks it is anything else than a money grab has issues.

Boxes are big, price tags are higher and parts count is down....I'm amazed when they announce "record profits".

I love building "fill in the blank" and never having enough bricks, plates, tiles, flats out the wazoo. Notice I said brick, not some dumb garbage flat panel or a 1*2 brick that is 5 tall and solid.

All the useless pieces that get used for one set or two or the countless stupid heads; capes,cups, winglets, canopies, tires, rims, jet/thruster and other parts that are usually useless in 99% of the things I build.

I do this for my kids who are 5 and 2(5yr old can build anything, 2 is just getting started), it is frustrating running out of bricks all the time and dad is pretty good about finding deals, yard sale finds and sniping ebay auctions for some pretty big lots, record so far is a 42lb one.

Lack of bricks is getting to be disturbing and continuing to become worse. All but the largest sets, simply lack them.

Look at what they have done to the trains, I get and understand that it is not a Lego profit driver, but why do something so dumb as to pack straights and flex track together? Someone was taking advantage of some of the Danish laws regarding smoking stuff there. Hey no one wants this and no one has enough straights, so lets package it together. Seriously?

I look at the stupid Star Wars tax and wonder why people even buy the sets. Parts counts are down and you pay extra to boot. If we quit simply playing into their hands a lot of this stupidity would stop but people are to busy with "me,myself and I" and have to have it now mentality.

I can count on one hand the amount of Lego sets I have bought at retail price anywhere. It was one for my sons birthday since we took him to TRU. The rest I wait for sales, BOGO 50% off, clearance and the like.

I have to buy some things direct from Lego because they are not in any store close, like switches and PF train, motors, battery boxes etc and I wait for sale or 2 for 1 points on them all.

Maybe one day when I run a company and can decrease playability and parts count while making record profits and advertising my eco-friendly wind farm......

I understand they are a business and need to make a profit. Lego has now jumped on the more is better just like everything else and given time it will start hurting them where it counts and they will be too dumb to notice.

Edited by v6TransAM

I think while Lego has become the most powerful toy company in the world right now, they're still wavering and recovering from some of the financial decisions in the early 2000s. Much like grandparents who lived through the Great Depression hoard sauce packets and napkins and save leftovers for too long, they're still overtly concerned about falling back in that pit so they've been doing as much as they can to increase profit and squirrel away money. While this is good for stability, eventually they're going to reach a point in at least 10-15 years where they stop concerning themselves with customers and quality, or they're going to have everything like a finely tuned machine with large part counts, low costs, good customer service, and good brick quality. Lego will easily last 150+ years, it's just a matter of how they value the reputation of their company versus profits. It's not unfeasible, Nintendo started out as a Hanafuda card company in 1889 and they're around in 2015 after 126 years doing the same thing in essence. However, I lean to the more optimistic side of Lego's future. They have more bricks, more colors, more themes, and bigger sets now that are even better designed. Compare a City set from the 1980s to today, and it will be drastically improved in comparison from brick quality, details, and building design. But I do think they're going to have to cut back on themes a bit, down to the core Creator, Technic, City, Classic, and 4 or 5 action/story themes possibly.

End of LEGO probably not very soon, but an end for a lot of fans may be around the corner as the new materials are introduced.

I am not going to buy anything that will have a life span because the material deteriorates with age, and even if that won't be an issue, there will probably be some compatibility issue with the older ABS bricks. I already have difficulties handling the fact they yellow due to sunlight.

I am not going to buy anything that will have a life span because the material deteriorates with age, and even if that won't be an issue, there will probably be some compatibility issue with the older ABS bricks. I already have difficulties handling the fact they yellow due to sunlight.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can deal with the yellowing part - just keep it out of direct sunlight - but changing their core materials to a lesser product would definitely fall in the realm of potential deal-breaker.

Unless they released an LU theme at that particular time point. Or some other theme I really like...Darn it, we're all so hooked on LEGO, that probably all we're going to do if and when such a change happens, is keep buying with one hand, while we type about it with the other. :sceptic:

Edited by Lind Whisperer

It's a pretty big assumption to make that using greener plastics would necessarily mean they'd deteriorate with age or have compatibility problems with ABS. Maybe the only noticeable difference would be that they don't yellow over time....

Edited by AndyC

Long after humanity is nought but a forgotten rumour and the earth is no more. There will still be Lego bricks floating through endless space.

And then some alien steps on it with bare feet and starts cursing. :classic:

Mostly like when our sun expands during its end of life, it'll melt all the LEGO in the world. ABS plastic decomposes at around 400 deg. C.

It's a pretty big assumption to make that using greener plastics would necessarily mean they'd deteriorate with age or have compatibility problems with ABS. Maybe the only noticeable difference would be that they don't yellow over time....

I will defend my pessimistic assumptions by referring to very common manufacturer practices of planned obsolescence, further fulled by complete ignorance about the issue from 99% of consumers.

My mindset about keeping old things and not buying new stuff is very rare, so i am not used to companies taking into consideration such minorities that don't promote spending.

Nobody buys a new iphone thinking how they'll be buying yet a newer one in 2 years time. All they think about is now, and even if they acknowledge it, they still buy it because that's just the way things are. Do you expect a parent who buys LEGO toys for their child to think about what will happen to them in 10 years time? But if it says "ECO" "responsible" "efficient" "green" "renewable" or whatever on a box with a tree logo on it, It may affect a lot of superficially environmentally conscious moms, which might be just enough to cancel out any potential loss of customers.

I will be very happy if they find a feasible solution, but some things are impossible no matter how much money you throw at it. Until then, I stand behind my skepticism.

I am fairly certain that LEGO as a company will continue beyond my lifetime. To answer selfishly, that's all that matters to me.

Hopefully I will still be enjoying their products and pricing during that time.

The company will have learn't from previous mistakes that nearly saw them go out of business, I can't see them making similar mistakes in the future.