DanSto

[MOC] BB8 mid-size (and friends)

Hey Daniel,

I purchased the Dec. edition of Brick Journal as one of the main reasons was the instructions to your BB-8 MOC. My kids love BB-8 and I using this model to teach my daughter the wonders of bricklink ; ) We might give the other droids a go too after that as they look great together. I supported your mid-sized Droids Lego Ideas project. I agree the similar project should be disqualified but therein lies one of the issues with Lego Ideas!

Thanks for making instructions to your MOCs available. Good luck with Ideas!

FYI, its not viable to bricklink BB-8 at this stage. There is only one person selling the orange plate, round half 3 x 6 with 1 x 2 cutout. 12 are needed and they want $12 USD per piece! Its a pretty key piece and not one you can readily color substitute. Would 3 x 3 round corner plates work instead? Bloody captive market. They were selling for ~$0.60-0.70 per piece a month ago. It's pretty obvious why the price has now skyrocketed!

Hey Daniel,

I purchased the Dec. edition of Brick Journal as one of the main reasons was the instructions to your BB-8 MOC. My kids love BB-8 and I using this model to teach my daughter the wonders of bricklink ; ) We might give the other droids a go too after that as they look great together. I supported your mid-sized Droids Lego Ideas project. Thanks for making instructions to your MOCs available. Good luck with Ideas!

Thank you very much.

I agree the similar project should be disqualified but therein lies one of the issues with Lego Ideas!

I told to the Ideas support that this is not Fair Use of my original design of the panels : they answered that both models are welcome :sceptic: . Similarly, I have contacted the builder who does not see where is the problem because the inner design and the head are different :sceptic: .

FYI, its not viable to bricklink BB-8 at this stage. There is only one person selling the orange plate, round half 3 x 6 with 1 x 2 cutout. 12 are needed and they want $12 USD per piece! Its a pretty key piece and not one you can readily color substitute. Would 3 x 3 round corner plates work instead? Bloody captive market. They were selling for ~$0.60-0.70 per piece a month ago. It's pretty obvious why the price has now skyrocketed!

Yes I know : if you look at the price guide on bricklink for this part you get this selling quantities :wacko: :

January 2016 Total Qty: 320

December 2015 Total Qty: 236

November 2015 Total Qty: 425

October 2015 Total Qty 48

September 2015 Total Qty: 29 (my 12)

August 2015 Total Qty: 10

July 2015 Total Qty: 8

( http://www.bricklink...18646&ColorID=4 ).

Concerning the present high price of this part (the part as a value around 0.2 EUROS), I agree with you but there always people who try to profit from our passion :angry: .

The 3 x 3 round corner plates do not work so well because they do not form a circular disk. We definitively have to wait that these parts become available again :sceptic: .

The famous couple of droids of "The Force Awakens" movie.

These two droids are particularly essential because each of them owns a part of the map allowing to find Luke Skywalker.

BB-8_R2-D2_virtual.JPG

BB-8 : "Come R2, let's have a glass of fresh oil !"

R2-D2 : "..."

Having approximately 750 parts, this model is more suited for the standards of the LEGO Ideas projects -BB-8 alone is too small and C-3PO increases too much the number of parts).

So it is my new project : https://ideas.lego.com/projects/128669 and it waits for your support :wink: .

May the force be with you to support this project and to share it with all your contact.

Thanks.

Edited by DanSto

Now that Lego Bricks and Pieces has re-opened after the break the orange half round plates are available directly for purchase in quantity and at retail price!

That's a good new because some bricklink sellers were exploiting the popularity of this droid :

Civisme_BL.jpg

Notice the "Build the droid of your dreams!" :grin:

Edited by DanSto

Yep. That's what I was referring to. It couldn't be much more blatant than that! Even selling the required number of plates. At least now we can all build the droid of our dreams for a reasonable price : )

Yep. That's what I was referring to. It couldn't be much more blatant than that! Even selling the required number of plates. At least now we can all build the droid of our dreams for a reasonable price : )

Agreed !

24436887900_4c477066d6_z.jpg

BB-8 and Finn by Daniel Stoeffler, sur Flickr

Hey Daniel,

I just wanted to give a shout out for sharing your model. My daughter and I are having a lot of fun with BB-8!

Cheers mate

Hey Daniel,

I just wanted to give a shout out for sharing your model. My daughter and I are having a lot of fun with BB-8!

Cheers mate

Thanks for the pictures and the nice smile :sweet: .

I think I should also make a picture of BB-8 with Rey :wink: .

Edited by DanSto

As the part price for the Blue round tile is skyrocketing it thought about another solution. Maybe there are some other ideas too.

The Tile with hole can be placed lower but this will reduce integrity.

tileojs0f.jpg

r26dsfy.jpg

Edited by Midlife-crisis

Nice to see that you have build the pair :classic: .

For the top of the head of R2, you could also use the same build as for BB-8 with a Plate, Modified 2 x 2 with Groove and 1 Stud in Center (ref 87580) instead of the 1x1 plate :wink: .

Nice to see that you have build the pair :classic: .

For the top of the head of R2, you could also use the same build as for BB-8 with a Plate, Modified 2 x 2 with Groove and 1 Stud in Center (ref 87580) instead of the 1x1 plate :wink: .

HA!

you´re right, have plenty of them in my pile.

:) thx!

On 3.10.2015 at 10:14 PM, DanSto said:

BB8+R2-D2 by Daniel Stoeffler, on Flickr

The 3 droids stars of SW7

five_droids by Daniel Stoeffler, on Flickr

Enjoy :wink:

Hello DanSto,

did a few mods to the R2-D2 to fix a little stability issue with the feet and it provides a better mounting of the last trunk plates. With the rounded slope plate instead the rounded axle-plate.

I think you see the changes well enough and hope you like it.

best regards

mc

r2-d2mod7cypp.jpg