Vodnik

[MOD] First Order Transporter

I mentioned already in other threads that in my opinion the 75103 FOT is significantly too short. It is really well designed set and after I built it myself I understand why TLG decided to make it this short - it is quite big anyway! But I still decided to improve the look at least a bit by lengthening it somewhat. I didn't want to fully redesign it, just extend existing design, so I went for a moderate six stud long extension. So my FOT is still too short, but looks much better than the TLG version. At least I think so :wink:

I created the extended version in LDD first and then built the real one.

21736950741_dd96819580_b.jpg

21727624215_051762b476_b.jpg

21539784888_7b7a8d4e84_b.jpg

21539784738_e0b8510514_b.jpg

For comparison the original TLG design:

21540430620_1e7f261158_c.jpg

Edited by Vodnik

That looks alot better now and offcourse can carry more troops.

Indeed, but with only four FO troopers + Phasma in the original set, my transporter is now seriously understaffed... All hope in the FO BP that is supposed to be in the January wave.

I'm impressed at what a huge improvement just 4 studs longer is.

Did you take the wheels out though?

It's actually 6 studs: 4 in the front and 2 in the rear.

The wheels are still there in their original positions relative to front and rear of the vehicle (so further apart from each other) - it was just standing on a soft surface for photos, so they sunk in it.

That is quite the improvement, still a tad short compared to the drawing, but sooooo much better then the out of the box lego version, and the interior actually looks like it could transport a decent number of troops now!

Oh, wow! The 2 studs added in the back are really subtle! Very nice, all around.

Am I the only person using the clips in the troop bay to hold the extra missiles?

Edited by rollermonkey

Am I the only person using the clips in the troop bay to hold the extra missiles?

Probably not, but I eliminated spring shooters from my build, so no need for any missiles here.

Nice MOD, but with the extended length, is it able to carry more minifigures?

Of course.

Thanks very much for sharing that file, Vodnik! I love how you modified the model - extension and stud shooter replacement alike - and will shamelessly copy it (if I find the right bricks).

Great mod, but a Dutch phrase says:

`Al draagt een aap een gouden ring, het is en blijft een lelijk ding`

:wink:

Edited by Legocitycustoms

Awesome!! I was thinking on whether to get this set, but I saw it really short. However, after seeing your mod I am definitely going to buy it and mod it just like you did!!

Also thank you a lot for sharing the LDD file :D

Great mod, really tempting to pick up a FO Transporter and try this modification, looks so much better than the chibi-like original.

There's a nice cross-section of this vehicle in the new TFA Cross Sections book. Very, very mild potential spoiler:

The troop hold is designed for about twenty troopers and the crew compartment to the rear features a second variable height platform that allows the pilot to "pop up" into the starboard raised viewport section when they need to land. According to the illustration, these craft are piloted by TIE veterans.

I think changing the top cabin makes a huge difference as well. using your ldd file with some smaller changes i changed the cabin completely to get a more accurate overall look:

dxuts.png

23jlsmh.png

Edited by deskp