snaillad

MOC: Grand Prix Auto Services

Hello everyone!

My latest build is finally complete after taking up most of my desk space for the last few months. It's called Grand Prix Auto Services.

A Gas station/Garage which is of a streamlined style from around the 1930's/1940's USA. I struggled to build a car from that time with what bricks I have so went for a more late 50's look with the car and scooter.

I've seen some great examples by fellow EB members L@GO and ER0L but felt with so many varied styles out there and not too many versions in Lego there was room for one more! :laugh:

Mostly I wanted to use some of the curved window pieces I had purchased some time ago and this was the perfect opportunity. Most of the model is built sideways with only a little vertical building in places. It's therefore a little less stable in certain sections.

Anyway, enough waffle and on with the pics;

21361484831_2736e1761d_c.jpg

21165348668_39483f4e28_c.jpg

21166282159_7df0327ed6_c.jpg

21165310558_88273c3b4d_c.jpg

Any feedback,comments or questions welcomed!

Very well toned look great stained glass and glass brick. Differently. And closer to the style of the fifties.

And the machine is suitable. Excellent.

Edited by Nemo57

Wow, this is beautiful! The result from all that SNOT is just great. The "GAS" lettering came out very well, the gas pumps are clever and fit in nicely, and that car is delightful as well! I'm impressed. :sweet:

Really good. Though you beat me to it! I have a streamline moderne corner gas station under construction.

I love the checkered flag and red motif. Very striking.

There's no words one how spectacular this is the detail and streamline of everything is impeccable!!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Wow

-RailCo

I don't think I can give more positive feedback to you Snaillad, after the Piazza Maria. It was the pinnacle of Lego realism. But ok, this is nice too. The feel and smell of old gas stations is petrol head magic. Nice streamlined art deco. Favorite parts of the build: The tower, the pumps, the car although I find the hood a little flat (but I see that it is to emphasize the lines of the chassis lines to the headlights). And the vespa, nice touch.

Awesome, and instantly recognisable as one of yours. My favourite details are the black and brown trim the base of the building and the bowsers.

9198929916_b0540e73a9_o.png

It's true, there aren't that many interesting Lego gas stations as one could think - I'm trying to collect some of them in a Flickr group. Now this is without a doubt one of the very best Lego stations I've ever seen - which isn't very surprising since it was built by you. :wink: It's rather a sculpture than a building - I escpecially love the amount of SNOT work but also the colour scheme. Car is great, too.

Ah well, there were times when people were able to see great architectural design by just filling their tanks. Those were the days ...

Fantastic. I love your streamline building style. Congratulations.

Indeed. Very smooth and slick lines make the build look very 50s chic.

Thank you Gongoro73 and TenorPenny!

Another great build. I love the curves and the clean execution. That convertible also looks stunning.

Very smooth and clean. Clever use of the curve window piece on its side.

Thanks peedeejay and dr_spock, the use of the curved window on its side isn't exactly new as it was used in the town plan 10184, however I never liked how it sat on top of a 1x4x4 quarter macaroni piece in that gas station. Only when I managed to get some of the larger arch bricks I saw I could get a much smoother effect, unfortunately it meant making the rest of the model on it's side to make it a smooth transition everywhere!

Very well toned look great stained glass and glass brick. Differently. And closer to the style of the fifties.

And the machine is suitable. Excellent.

Outstanding build! :thumbup:

Stunning work!

Outstanding as always.

Excellent detail, brilliant building (love the sideways stuff) and overall nice composition.

Cheers Nemo57, Graham Gidman, MontyPython and RogerSmith.

Wow, this is beautiful! The result from all that SNOT is just great. The "GAS" lettering came out very well, the gas pumps are clever and fit in nicely, and that car is delightful as well! I'm impressed. :sweet:

Thanks deraven, the Typeface is inspired by 'GULF' gas stations from that era.

Really good. Though you beat me to it! I have a streamline moderne corner gas station under construction.

I love the checkered flag and red motif. Very striking.

Thanks dr_sarcophagus! I look forward to seeing it!

Mmm, Deco.

I love this build, great pump designs too.

There's no words one how spectacular this is the detail and streamline of everything is impeccable!!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Wow

-RailCo

Thanks Peppermint_M and Rail Co!

I don't think I can give more positive feedback to you Snaillad, after the Piazza Maria. It was the pinnacle of Lego realism. But ok, this is nice too. The feel and smell of old gas stations is petrol head magic. Nice streamlined art deco. Favorite parts of the build: The tower, the pumps, the car although I find the hood a little flat (but I see that it is to emphasize the lines of the chassis lines to the headlights). And the vespa, nice touch.

Amazing creation! Love the pumps and building! Great job!

Cheers Sir Stig and sens1992, I wouldn't call myself an expert car builder by any means so realism and scale probably goes out of the window, I was prepared to go without a vehicle but then thought its a gas station I've got to have a vehicle! The pumps were a little fiddly to make, I would of liked to have made them different colours, especially in red but didn't have the window piece to complete the look I wanted, but I am happy with the way they turned out in the end!

Awesome, and instantly recognisable as one of yours. My favourite details are the black and brown trim the base of the building and the bowsers.

9198929916_b0540e73a9_o.png

Thanks Kristel, always flattering to be blogged. Originally I never intended to use brown as a trim colour, it turned out it was one the only colour I could get as well as black and white from the Lego online store. Most of the other colours were a bit pricey on BL. :grin:

I simply love it. Very smooth thanks to the sideways building!

Cheers Hoexbroe, how rude of me not to mention your fine example of a gas station from Royville, I've seen it on MOCpages years ago but wasn't sure if you posted it in here.

So great creation, just amazing! Usually I'm not an fan of 30's-50's build style but you reconcile me with!

Thanks flikebluck!

It's true, there aren't that many interesting Lego gas stations as one could think - I'm trying to collect some of them in a Flickr group. Now this is without a doubt one of the very best Lego stations I've ever seen - which isn't very surprising since it was built by you. :wink: It's rather a sculpture than a building - I escpecially love the amount of SNOT work but also the colour scheme. Car is great, too.

Ah well, there were times when people were able to see great architectural design by just filling their tanks. Those were the days ...

Thanks very much ER0L, sadly not much interest in aestetic when designing gas stations thesedays, well at least in the UK from what I've seen!

Nice model of an art deco service station! :thumbup:

I would have left out the wall and the red/black logo on the right, it seems a bit strange and takes away the attention on the building in my opinion.

I commented on this over on Flickr, but I have to say here as well that I think it's a gorgeous piece of architecture you've built. The smooth surfaces and transitions are so well done, and those signs are just perfect. You really are a master of this style!