I haven't really checked yet what is available and what not, the drums idd are one of the biggest issues, for the rest there are some small parts not available in yellow, but I think replacing them with black will be pretty cool.

The total build will indeed be somewhere between 3000 and 4000 parts, it's really a mammoth!

When it's done I'll try to reimport it into stud.io, it will list all parts that are not available and give a rough bricklink price estimation. I guess my wallet will feel the pain :D

Another piece that does NOT come in yellow...  the 3x4x2/3 wedge that sits above the cockpit with the red lights on it.  May have to use a 4x4x2/3.  Also the dark bluish gray bars for the cockpit cage are like $2.00 a piece minimum.  5 needed I think, so not cheap.  I thought about using all black but I don't think it would look good.

3 minutes ago, STeNCH said:

Another piece that does NOT come in yellow...  the 3x4x2/3 wedge that sits above the cockpit with the red lights on it.  May have to use a 4x4x2/3.  Also the dark bluish gray bars for the cockpit cage are like $2.00 a piece minimum.  5 needed I think, so not cheap.  I thought about using all black but I don't think it would look good.

Correction, you need 7 dark bluish gray bars for the cockpit cage and I just found them on ebay for $0.99 each.

and does anyone know what the "mudguards" around the knees and elbows are?  I've looked and cannot figure out what the part name is or category.

@STeNCH. Did you look in my last LDD file?  I believe I have most of a knee built up in there.  If it's not in there, give me a better idea of the part you mean and I'm sure I can identify it for you.

2 hours ago, Xon67 said:

@STeNCH. Did you look in my last LDD file?  I believe I have most of a knee built up in there.  If it's not in there, give me a better idea of the part you mean and I'm sure I can identify it for you.

I got confused because it said "cockpit", but I got it figured out.  It's a windscreen, never would have guessed that.  Thanks!

@STeNCH

I am very uncertain about the color here, it looks like dark bluish grey, but I think it's all black, and the lighting is causing it to appear as grey.

3 hours ago, BlackStar said:

@STeNCH

I am very uncertain about the color here, it looks like dark bluish grey, but I think it's all black, and the lighting is causing it to appear as grey.

Yeah I was thinking that too, but I have 1 particular screen shot where the treads on the chest and hips are clearly black and the cockpit cage still shows up as gray.  I'm going to watch the movie again, they do a close up of Emmett in the mech.

Two things I noticed throughout the movie is that lightning make a huge difference on color tones and that sometimes parts actually do change color from shot to shot.

This provides some latitude when recreating things from the movie.  Sometimes I'll just choose a frame and recreate that particular version of something.

When building physically, it may come down to choosing the parts that actuallly exist in a given color or which ones are significantly cheaper.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:11 PM, Xon67 said:

Two things I noticed throughout the movie is that lightning make a huge difference on color tones and that sometimes parts actually do change color from shot to shot.

This provides some latitude when recreating things from the movie.  Sometimes I'll just choose a frame and recreate that particular version of something.

When building physically, it may come down to choosing the parts that actuallly exist in a given color or which ones are significantly cheaper.

You are 100% right.  I went through the movie frame by frame and noticed the same things.  Even though black would be cheaper and easier to get, I am still going with dark bluish gray for the cockpit cage.  Just looks better.

Just found out while starting to build the lower back that they don't make 2x14 plates in yellow nor do they make 1x14 plates at all.  So I have to split the 2x's into a 2x10 and a 2x4.  For the feet, I'm thinking that the eight lower wheels will be the main ground support.  The piece in between the wheels in the same tread floats, so the center of the foot with the bucket and those pieces need to be supported by the wheels somehow.  I'm going to look thru the bulldozer in the latest design file to see if I can get any ideas.

@STeNCH. I'm very excited to see someone actually building this--It's looking great so far!  Yes, there will be a few support issues to solve throughout the build.  On the feet, there are gaps between the treads and the central part of the foot.  They could fit beams or long  Technic bricks that could run from the front wheels and the back wheels to hold axels.

While the mech continues to slowly move forward, here's the rest of the Octan soundstage.  This is the news conference stage that President Business uses in his broadcast early in the movie.

The "Where are my Pants? stage is to the left and the stairs leading up to Benny's 80's something technology can be seen in the bottom right corner.

33204362103_5f2b7262ca_c.jpg

I found another part of the original design that needed tweeked.  I will have to post these as I find them or else I will forget.  So I noticed on the waist that the back 2 shock supports were angled inward and the top yellow plate was bent.  This was because there were too many technic bushings and things were not lining up.  So I removed 6 bushings, used shorter axles, and everything straightened out.  Check my Flikr page once again to see.  I am posting these in case anyone else is or may ever attempt the build.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132017164@N02/

Yes, please keep posting these changes!  We can create an LDD file that matches your build.

14 hours ago, Xon67 said:

Yes, please keep posting these changes!  We can create an LDD file that matches your build.

I also confirmed from the movie that there is nothing supporting the feet.  So like you said, we'll have to figure it out.  I didn't see anything under the hips either, where the black treads are at, but I was thinking there has to be a tank wheel under there just like on the feet but black.  I'll be messing around with figuring out the hip joints, probably using the ratcheted pin joints, ball joint wouldn't work.  The elbows look like they use 3 of the large technic ratchet joints, just not sure how.  Anyway, back at it, thanks!

3 hours ago, STeNCH said:

Just a few more updates.  6 more bricklink orders made, more to come!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132017164@N02/with/34073755192/

Totally falling in love with it seeing it coming together in real bricks! Out of interest, are you keeping the ldd file updated as you are building it and having to make colour changes/ structural strengthening? How much further off is the ldd file from being a complete model?

8 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Totally falling in love with it seeing it coming together in real bricks! Out of interest, are you keeping the ldd file updated as you are building it and having to make colour changes/ structural strengthening? How much further off is the ldd file from being a complete model?

Xon_67 and Blackstar are doing the ldd.  I am just trying to build it based off their designs.  Xon_67 said he will update the file as I post revisions.  As far as I can tell the main thing we need to figure out are the joints; hips, knees, ankles, elbows, and shoulders.  I am having a great time doing this!!  I keep hoping the waist will be strong enough to support the upper body and allow for some different posing options.

A few more updates on my Flikr page, check it out.  Link above.

Hey Xon if you are reading this, do you have any idea where the yellow bricks and plate attached to the waist gear will connect to the main body?  Or where the ball joint tail in the back will connect?  After starting to build parts of the body, I'm thinking I need to get the legs built, attached to the waist, then start building up from the waist.  Otherwise I think trying to build it in sections, attach them to each other, then attach to the waist will be too difficult.

@STeNCH. I don't have good answers for you.  All we know is what we have in the LDD file--with one exception--the shoulders use ball joints.  We're all figuring it out as we go.  

15 hours ago, Xon67 said:

@STeNCH. I don't have good answers for you.  All we know is what we have in the LDD file--with one exception--the shoulders use ball joints.  We're all figuring it out as we go.  

Right back at ya.  Good luck.

I have seen several attempts to recreate Nathan Sawaya's LEGO Oscar Statue from the 2015 Academy Awards.  After tracking down several high res images, I finally got around to making my own.

33579851203_796c9395b0_c.jpg