Sign in to follow this  
ZeekyBoogeyDoog

Tumblehome effect in brick built hulls

What I want to ask is this: in order to be as realistic in appearance as possible, how should tumblehome be rendered in a brick built hull? For example, should the first gun deck not exhibit an curvature but the next deck should, (like in Zcerberus's Phantom), or should all (in this purely hypothetical case 2) gun decks exhibit

tumblehome?

The way i've seen most ships of the Napoleonic era are the widest at and a little below the water line.

So gun deck, spar deck, and some berth deck walls should have the tumblehome effect.

dsc04961.jpg_thumb.jpg

You can see this pretty well on a pic of a model of the USS Constitution (a large frigate).

99px-HMS_Victory_1884.jpg

Also, you can see pretty easily the tumblehome effect on this wiki-pic of the HMS Victory (1st-rate ship-of-the-line).

It seems that some small frigates and smaller ships don't have a distinct tumblehome effect.

For instance:

sophie_05.jpg_thumb.jpg

In this model of the HMS Sophie (a 14-gun brig), there is only a little tumblehome on the stern and not at the rest of the ship.

Hope that helps.

What type of ship do you want to make?

P

Edited by phred

Thanks Phred! I'm thinking about making another two decked ship of the line, but much wider.

Are there any straight lines in a ship?

Edited by ZeekyBoogeyDoog

Thanks Phred! I'm thinking about making another two decked ship of the line, but much wider.

there are some straight lines in a ship but almost 70% of a ship's hull (be it a frigate or a 1st class ship of the line) is curved even the decks have a curve. the only thing that is about straight in a ship is the position of the gunports those are alligned like this as you can see : F2846-1.jpg

hope this helps ;-)

Edited by Errorist

You might be able to get away with the bottom gun deck having a straight yellow stripe (if you're going for a british ship again)

and have the black right on top of the stripe slope in with slopes.

The bottom gun decks don't seem to slope in nearly as much as the higher (in general)

P

You might be able to get away with the bottom gun deck having a straight yellow stripe (if you're going for a british ship again)

and have the black right on top of the stripe slope in with slopes.

The bottom gun decks don't seem to slope in nearly as much as the higher (in general)

P

Thanks! This is precisely what was I was curious about.

For example, should the first gun deck not exhibit an curvature but the next deck should, (like in Zcerberus's Phantom), or should all (in this purely hypothetical case 2) gun decks exhibit

tumblehome?

Where's Mr Zcerberus these days? He'd be an excellent candidate to answer this question!

That could be a very useful website to add to our collection!

I'm a member of that site... but I still have to make my first post.

My account was only a few days ago activated by their admin.

What will you say Bonaparte, since we all build in lego and not in wood..??

This should be interesting, let's see how they react :-D

Oh dear! Did you neglect them or do something naughty?

Thanks for the link Cap'n Green hair, I've been looking at the models, they're pretty useful pictures.

I bet with recoil and horror ;-)

What will you say Bonaparte, since we all build in lego and not in wood..??

Oh dear! Did you neglect them or do something naughty?

I'm just interested to see what kind of discussions they are having on that board.

These guys are also doing ship-building like we do, they just use other materials.

But I didn't have enough time yet to explorer their board and honor them with my participation :-D

Thanks for the link Cap'n Green hair, I've been looking at the models, they're pretty useful pictures.

I bet with recoil and horror ;-)

Recoil and horror wil do, maybe some blood and ripped of lims to ey? :-D

I'm just interested to see what kind of discussions they are having on that board.

These guys are also doing ship-building like we do, they just use other materials.

But I didn't have enough time yet to explorer their board and honor them with my participation :-D

Yeah, they should be honoured that they have a chance to talk to us! :'-)

You must devise a stategy and infiltrate their board at once! They must all surrender into becoming LEGO builders! *skull*