Logan McOwen

What are the most underrated Hero Factory sets?

While Hero Factory was short lived and didn't always have the most... infallible design standards, there were quite a few sets that stood out in the roster as being exceptionally appealing. Sets like Witch Doctor and Evo XL receive universal praise, but there are other sets which still look the business.

So, to you, which set/s is/are underrated, and deserve/s more love?

I for one am a big advocate for Breakout Evo and Voltix.

In regards to Voltix's colour scheme, it's a lot more cohesive than a lot of people give it credit for. The purple armour seems to represent a separate "garment" Voltix is wearing, whereas the red, gunmetal and black represents his normal body. The yellow and blue pretty clearly represents electrical power. About the only thing I can say I dislike about this chaotic crazy is his lack of hands.

Breakout Evo on the other hand just didn't get a lot of love, I felt. Yes, he was a simplistic set, but he's supremely cohesive. The tank arm is glorious, although the lack of a hand in the gun is a little peculiar. The boot aesthetic on the legs is great, and his helmet is superb. My only gripes with him are his lack of back armour and is lower left arm - otherwise, he's pretty darn perfect.

Evo XL receive universal praise

lol nope

I don't fully remember how people reacted, but I think there was some negativity about him, probably XT4. Out of the sets I've got he's actually fairly good. Original design, and personally I didn't mind his shortcomings. I also got him for $4, so that's probably helping :grin:

I really liked the Drop Ship. It seems like it was forgotten because it was an exclusive set from before CCBS, but it was an extremely nice attempt at using the canisters within the context of the story and making them the center of a play function.

Aquaqon! I saw lot of bashing on it on the Worst CCBS topic, but I think it has a wondeful faceplate, and is otherwise well-balanced and simple nice set.

XT4 was rather fun too, with nicely poseable design, debut of the small torso piece and nice collection of light bley bones, not to mention the long black shells. Voltix was neat too (despite never owning it) and at least had four "Captain America" armor add-on-pieces. But then again I've never liked dark purple that much.

The Rocka Crawler.I don't have this set,but seriously I want Rocka Crawler.It looks better that Evo walker and it has nice parts,especially the cocoon pieces.

I really like Breakout Evo with his beefy arm because he was the first CCBS set I got, along with Splitface (although now I regret not getting the Black Phantom that was also on the shelf :cry_sad: )

Not sure how the Invasion from Below sets were received, but I personally loved the creatures in that. It was the theme that actually got me into CCBS properly.

Edited by Mutant Orc

I loved the Evo Walker. It has a ton of great parts, a lot of posability, a simple function (I don't care much for those, but it's still a nice addition) and I managed to spend several hours just rebuilding and rebuilding it. There are so many combinations that can be made with just the parts from that set.

Probably the small sets (9-10 Euro) sets during 2011-2012 and 2014 (I have.. issues with 2013 in general). They weren't as flashy as, say, Core Hunter or Breakout Rocka, but there were some underappreciated gems among them (the 2.0 Heroes, Breakout Stringer, Thornraxx, Jaw Beast, Tunneler Beast,).

I loved Breakout Breez. She is, to date, the only creation made of Bionicle where I enjoyed a red/white/lime colorscheme, and I felt she pulled off the feminine look fairly well.

I really need to get more Breakout sets (Rocka being the only one I own.) 2012 was the best year of Hero Factory by a country mile (though 2015 was probably more innovative.) If it hadn't been for my health, I would no doubt have generated the enthusiasm to snap up a few more of them. One of these days, I'll at least buy Thornaxx.

Probably the small sets (9-10 Euro) sets during 2011-2012 and 2014 (I have.. issues with 2013 in general). They weren't as flashy as, say, Core Hunter or Breakout Rocka, but there were some underappreciated gems among them (the 2.0 Heroes, Breakout Stringer, Thornraxx, Jaw Beast, Tunneler Beast,).

Breakout Stringer. Hands down him and Voltix are an amazing pair to me and fairly underappreciated(?).

Thornraxx. He had no torso piece(or the normal one) and a great color scheme. Also points for playability since he was the only small villain to have a shooter that year.

i second on thornraxx and xt4. those were the sets that i initially didn't intend to get, but when i bought those on a whim, i feel like i should have bought them sooner. they have a unique build, and the end result are surprisingly cool.

Dragon Bolt. I've got him for sale, and after a few modifications here and there , he makes for a gem of a set.

Not really underrated, though. Aside from the usual whining about CCBS, she (I seem to remember a comic somewhere that confirmed this) had an overwhelmingly popular reception.

Bruizer, mostly because the function actually worked to bash things, and the arm build wasn't that bad.

Edited by legozebra

Dragon Bolt. I've met many Lego and Bionicle fans who bashed him for 'not being as big as the Kardas Dragon' or something like that but personally, I think it's a nice set with a well-thought function.

Edited by Onepu the Protector

Dragon Bolt. Many of the Lego fans I met often bashed him for 'not being as big as the Kardas Dragon' or something like that but personally, I think it's a nice set with a well-thought function.

That critique makes absolutely no sense. The Kardas was a combiner of Titans, of course Dragon Bolt won't be as big as him.

Breakout Breez is the definitive HF set for me. I also liked Breakout Furno a lot.

(Also I think Witch Doctor was a terrible set).

Also I think Witch Doctor was a terrible set.

I don't have any problem with Witch Doctor, he's not designed to been able to pose well, but designed to look menacing and evil. Of course Witch Doctor still has some design flaw, but overall I think Witch Doctor is one of the best Hero Factory ever make because his unique build and he also looks menacing, cruel, and evil.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Witch Doctor seems to suffer from some budget issues. I think it was alright, with all the mass and that, but the bare asymmetrical TECHNIC bits rather ruined the overall look. Wonderful parts back, though.

Not sure if Breakout Breez counts as an underrated set. It's definitely my favourite hero set, and I've never heard anyone not liking it. Same goes for Thornraxx, I think it got full points on EB reviews back in what year was that 2012 I guess.

I didn't like Dragon Bolt. Mostly due to bad bad proportions (neck thick like a log, puny tail, blocky lower jaw, huge feet, small legs...). The wing design was good though and I really like the head mold. It would be nice to see it recolored.

I also liked Breakout Furno a lot.

Yeah, he was fantastic! But I never understood what that silver arm was supposed to represent...

Edited by LewiMOC