cullmancreations

2016 LEGO Pirate Set Wishlists

i do not have any confidence in this idea actually happening.

Since you do not have confirmation that these sets are being developed, and wish that they were, I'll merge this topic with our current Pirates 2016 wishlist topic.

Give me this emoji :pir-classic: if you show support!

Members are not encouraged to make short posts with just an emoticon, but are encouraged to add to the discussion. You should read Posting Standards topic that is found in EB's FAQ.

One thing is for certain - pirate SHIPS sell well. TLG has given us at least one/year for the last several years I think if you include stuff like the LOTOR ship, the Sea Cow, Sponge Bob Squarepants, Pirates of the Caribbean etc. I'm assuming there will be at least one in Ninjago next year even if we don't get a UCS set.

While fully fledged pirate themes may only come along infrequently, I think we can expect this trend to continue.

I for one won't complain with a "Ship-a-year" concept provided most of the parts work in a typical pirate setting, but long-term that's asking a bit much. I got the Spongebob ship on a whim and actually kinda like it - with some modifications it fits the theme reasonably well, as a merchatman for example. I also got the LotR ship for the parts and some of the minifigs, and again, it can be made to fit the theme with significant mods, so I think anything can work if most of the parts aren't too specialized. I'm curious as to how well the Brick Bounty sells given it's very basic design and somewhat elevated price. Something a little better and smaller should certainly do well, like the old CC or first IFS. But of course the new Ninjago stuff stands in the way for now, and I'm not seeing a very good mixing of major components with the normal pirate stuff... but we'll see.

I for one won't complain with a "Ship-a-year" concept provided most of the parts work in a typical pirate setting, but long-term that's asking a bit much. I got the Spongebob ship on a whim and actually kinda like it - with some modifications it fits the theme reasonably well, as a merchatman for example. I also got the LotR ship for the parts and some of the minifigs, and again, it can be made to fit the theme with significant mods, so I think anything can work if most of the parts aren't too specialized. I'm curious as to how well the Brick Bounty sells given it's very basic design and somewhat elevated price. Something a little better and smaller should certainly do well, like the old CC or first IFS. But of course the new Ninjago stuff stands in the way for now, and I'm not seeing a very good mixing of major components with the normal pirate stuff... but we'll see.

The Ninjago sky pirate ships aren't really "nautical" enough to have any place in a traditional pirates layout, even with heavy modification (they're airships, after all). But in terms of the loose parts they offer I think there's a lot that could be repurposed for more traditional Pirates fare. I think the Angry Birds sets may end up having a ship for the pigs, so if you found a use for the Flying Dutchman's ship from the SpongeBob sets that might also be serviceable.

Well fans, here is my wish list:

1) A nice and cosy taverna with lots of detail (pls not only walls as it was with POTC). Of course with several bottles of Appleton V/X on display and in use :pir-classic:

2) The Governor"s house in typical Spanish style and with his splendid daughter

3) A merchant pier with freshly imported Spanish galleon (that can be a huge set)

4) An isolated trading post with heavy fortification

5) An island with debris of an English military ship, wisely used by several pirates as a hide-away

More to follow :pir-sweet:

I have one more addition (well, ok, technically I have lots more, but...)

I wish TLG would seriously improve the masts and rigging on the ships. The lower masts from the Brick Bounty are clunkers if you ask me. They may be reasonably stable but they look horrible. And the newer-style shrouds are just awful. They should taper toward the top as the ropes get closer, not stay the same width all the way up. The old style had some taper and was better, and I wish they'd bring it back, but they should take it farther by offering a seperate wider bottom piece that would clip onto the bottom of the main shroud piece - it would allow more accurate variations in shroud height/length without requiring a huge new piece. Yeah, I know you can clip the one type of ladder on at the top, but it just looks weird. Change those things and the ships would definitely be better.

^ The above list has some great set ideas too.

Well fans, here is my wish list:

1) A nice and cosy taverna with lots of detail (pls not only walls as it was with POTC). Of course with several bottles of Appleton V/X on display and in use :pir-classic:

2) The Governor"s house in typical Spanish style and with his splendid daughter

3) A merchant pier with freshly imported Spanish galleon (that can be a huge set)

4) An isolated trading post with heavy fortification

5) An island with debris of an English military ship, wisely used by several pirates as a hide-away

More to follow :pir-sweet:

Tavern and Governor's home would also be on the top of the list for me too. I am a sucker for colonial civilian buildings :)

Ugh. Don't remind us...

Maybe if Knexo Nites are successful Lego will do "Nexo Everything." They're obviously not hesitant to throw largely unrelated themes in a blender and market whatever comes out.

The key is marketing. If they call it "Pirates of the Nexo" with a main character called "Cap'n Jack Nexo" maybe it will be well received :)

Ugh. Don't remind us...

Maybe if Knexo Nites are successful Lego will do "Nexo Everything." They're obviously not hesitant to throw largely unrelated themes in a blender and market whatever comes out.

The key is marketing. If they call it "Pirates of the Nexo" with a main character called "Cap'n Jack Nexo" maybe it will be well received :)

I mean, they're doing Sky Pirate baddies in Ninjago next year, with jetpacks, zeppelins, and flying fortresses... Then again, that's just adding pirates to one of their most successful themes, not creating an entirely new theme.

But then, steampunk sky pirates are all the range even in AFOL MOCs. It never ceases to amaze me how much the AFOL community adores mixing themes when they're the ones doing it, but hates when Lego starts to do the same...

I for one am not a theme-mixer and I sure hope any 2016-and-beyond Pirates sets aren't steampunk'd. (Ninjago Pirates is a story of its own that I find equally unappealing.) Metalbeard's Sea Cow might be beloved by many, but considering the price and piece count I see it as a wasted opportunity to create a truly magnificient historic sailing ship. Revisiting the old concepts can be good if done well and it can be bad if it's too redundant - but many of the classic Pirates sets/concepts haven't been remade in any way, so there's plenty room for it. I just don't know how well it would sell considering the current push towards action-crossovers.

Although there is no Wave 2 2016 pirate sets, The building community stands strong! The amount of great builds on out there are simply spectacular.

Getting a "new set" can be as easy as hopping onto LDD and creating your own design, then obtaining the parts list and buying the list of parts on BrickLink.

Edited by Admiral Admirable

Although there is no Wave 2 2016 pirate sets,

is this official?pirate_tong.gifpirate_tong.gifpirate_tong.gif not even in the summer or late year? wasn't just the first half of the year catalog released?

having missed the Imperial Flagship I will never cease to hope they will do a remake one day as they did with the brick bounty....I wish the 10210 wasn't so expensive!pirate_cry4.gif

is this official?pirate_tong.gifpirate_tong.gifpirate_tong.gif not even in the summer or late year? wasn't just the first half of the year catalog released?

having missed the Imperial Flagship I will never cease to hope they will do a remake one day as they did with the brick bounty....I wish the 10210 wasn't so expensive!pirate_cry4.gif

Yeah, it's official. pirate_sceptic.gif

Having read through this whole thread tonight, I would very much like to echo the call for a Bluecoat ship, at the very least. Like the rest of you, I was very underwhelmed by the Pirate sets that came out in 2015. I was absolutely stoked when I saw that the Bluecoats were back, and I bought two of the larger outposts as soon as I saw them, primarily for the admiral and admiral's daughter figures, as well as the updated large Bluecoat flags. I was hoping that these would be the precursors to other bigger and better sets, like Lego was releasing sets akin to the Lagoon Lockup or Cannon Cove to get things started, and then coming out with an Imperial Trade Post or Eldorado sized set for them later on, with corresponding plans for the Pirate side. What I had hoped for most, though, was a Bluecoat ship, preferably one that wasn't a rehash of the Imperial Flagship, like the Brick Bounty appears to be a rehash of the Brickbeard's Bounty. Something a bit smaller, perhaps, but still able to hold its own against its Pirate counterpart. A small to mid-sized merchant ship, and/or a civilian harbor would have been very nice as well, because what else are the pirates going to raid, if not those?

It seems to me like Lego really half-assed this whole thing, and then used that as evidence to not continue it. I'm at the point where I almost wish they hadn't bothered to bring back the Bluecoats at all.

Almost.

Because I've still got the new flags, and the Admiral/Admiral's Daughter minifigs to show for it.

...I was hoping that these would be the precursors to other bigger and better sets, like Lego was releasing sets akin to the Lagoon Lockup or Cannon Cove to get things started, and then coming out with an Imperial Trade Post or Eldorado sized set for them later on, with corresponding plans for the Pirate side. What I had hoped for most, though, was a Bluecoat ship, preferably one that wasn't a rehash of the Imperial Flagship, like the Brick Bounty appears to be a rehash of the Brickbeard's Bounty. Something a bit smaller, perhaps, but still able to hold its own against its Pirate counterpart. A small to mid-sized merchant ship, and/or a civilian harbor would have been very nice as well, because what else are the pirates going to raid, if not those?...

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I do like the new Bluecoats a lot, but not the Admiral's daughter - maybe they included her for gender equality but any set with "fort" in its name needs more than one lousy soldier. She isn't dressed for the period anyway - not by normal standards. But I've swapped heads/hair to create male officers with narrow waists! The bigger issue for me though is the pirate minifigs. They still look cartoonish after all these years. PotC proved Lego can do really good pirate-era figs - but with these sets they gave us dudes in blue jeans! Yeah, a few of them look good (Shipwreck Defense, green shirt from the fort) but the stripe thing is seriously not cool anymore. And the cook from the Brick Bounty has to be one of the worst Pirates 'figs ever created. I won't say this run was junk but they could've at least done a more imaginative job rehashing those old ideas and gave us a good Bluecoat ship. I wonder if this topic is even useful anymore and I wonder if we'll ever see any of our ideas come to pass.

Hasn't Lego done post theme releases of some sets? I mean after the main run of sets, release one big one to seal the deal so to speak?

Edited by durazno33

Hasn't Lego done post theme releases of some sets? I mean after the main run of sets, release one big one to seal the deal so to speak?

They have—both the Imperial Flagship and the Kingdoms Joust would arguably qualify. But there's really no telling whether it's realistic to expect something similar from the 2015 Pirates theme. It is possible, particularly since the last large ship set, MetalBeard's Sea Cow, was recently discontinued, and Lego might want something to fill that void.

They have—both the Imperial Flagship and the Kingdoms Joust would arguably qualify. But there's really no telling whether it's realistic to expect something similar from the 2015 Pirates theme. It is possible, particularly since the last large ship set, MetalBeard's Sea Cow, was recently discontinued, and Lego might want something to fill that void.

Actually there was the big medival village, and the Ninjago-village too, that would qualify for big-out-of-the-order-sets. I don't know if a new imperial flagship could be a thing so soon, but I would definitley buy it even it probably, considering that I did not have the money when the last one came out and today it is f***** expensive.

I think that this year we shouldn't expect any pirates. We may get some Islander - type sets from the Disney film Moana if we are lucky. Next year though, we might get some PotC sets, and if we are lucky those will carry into 2018. After that?

I hope that at some point we get a set like the Medieval Village, either a civilian port or a merchantman. I don't expect it to be part of a big lineup though. The other thing to hope for would be a Disney re-release or remake of Treasure Island, now that Lego and Disney are busom-buddies. That would get us another wave of pirates.

Actually there was the big medival village, and the Ninjago-village too, that would qualify for big-out-of-the-order-sets. I don't know if a new imperial flagship could be a thing so soon, but I would definitley buy it even it probably, considering that I did not have the money when the last one came out and today it is f***** expensive.

The Ninjago set doesn't qualify because they specifically asked about sets that were released AFTER their respective themes had ended, and Ninjago has neither ended nor will end any time in the near future. Similarly, the Medieval Market Village was announced a full year before the Fantasy Castle theme had ended and released in January of the theme's final year, well before the last non-exclusive sets had launched.