Sign in to follow this  
David FNJ

[M - D04] Lots of new Friends

Tags: MANTIS, spying, exploration

20002520575_a0333a56ac_c.jpg

AG: Lots of new friends by David FNJ, on Flickr

Double D's log 10:

After acquiring the ultramafic lava sample for my new weapon - the Flamius™ - (found a name!) on Mynderis, I was sent to Terrial Minor to prepare for the first military wave of Kawashitan forces. Right now most of what is here are small scientific research labs, comminication stations, and Bio-Tar extraction devices (not yet a Kawashitan Trademark yet...they'd better move fast!).

Although this part of the planet looks very lush, it is not. The soil is a very dry. However, the air is very humid because of the steam that constantly bubbles out from the tar-like pits (that I will just call tar pits, even though the science guys would correct me that they are not tar pits because the black substance is not actually tar...but I digress). So the soil is very dry, the atmosphere is very hot, and the air is very humid....I guess the humidity explains why plants are able to grow and how the aliens and creatures here can survive. The plants and the inhabitants here must get moisture from the air. All that is needed here now is some air conditioning and dehumidifying technology!

19995658322_8770d81606_c.jpg

Anyway, I was finally able to bring Wheelie (also found a name for the little guy!) with me because the guys at the computer lab finished upgrading him. I didn't like Wheelie in black, so I painted only a small portion lime green.

19816723579_b50fa4a445_z.jpg

My mission was simple, find out what the Bio-Tar devices do, and to make them . Wheelie proved to be especially useful in this area as he was able to open one up in a way that only a robot with the right tools could. Thus, we were not detected...but Kawashita will soon notice that a bunch of their Bio-Tar devices are starting to breakdown. Just place a small bomb that will damage a small function-critical component inside the Bio-Tar device, and then when we want to, set off the bomb, and then let the tar to its work on the Bio-Tar device (basically clog up the entire device).

We found out that the tar contains high-quality biomass molecules that can be extracted if processed right. Small amounts of these biomass molecules perform four times as much as what large containers of more common biomass molecules do. Unfortunately, extraction techniques are still quite primitive, so research here is critical if a more effective way to extract these biomass molecules is to be found. My job - make sure Kawashita doesn't get the breakthrough first.

19977148346_cfa848bef2.jpg

The last but perhaps the most exciting observation from my mission on Terrial Minor were these flying creatures that I call gubbies. They flap their wings really fast, and they are the most curious creatures on this planet. Gubbies are very friendly, and they explore with their mouths, so if exploring, be sure to bring some food with you! It turns out they are easily persuaded with food. I've befriended several gubbies, and I hope to keep one...or two...or....nevermind. Too bad they don't like to chew on those metal Bio-Tar devices...Yes, I tried.

20003405705_e15557de92.jpg

You know you want one.

~ DD out

---------------------------------------------------------

I had a blast with the colors on this one, and of course the gubbies are just adorable. I was fiddling around with the dinosaur head of the Dilophosaurus and then noticed that from the top it looked like a little flying thing. I stuck an eye on it, and voila - it was instantly adorable. Opening its mouth made it look even cuter. I found it while trying to figure out what to go with the pink areas of the landscape, and the lime green seemed to go well (plus I had gotten a lot of it from the P-A-B wall), so I gave it a go, and was very pleased with the result!

Edited by David FNJ

Whoa. Great alien landscape, and the part usage on those dino heads is spectacular! :blush:

I believe I love everything about this. Bravo. :sweet:

Lovely bubbles and nice build, but..."D04 environment, arid desert". I think you're on the wrong planet!

Those aliens are awesome - both terrifying and cute at the same time! The landscape is really nice as well - electrifying colors. I wish the "bio-tar pits" has less rectangular edges, but that's my only note. I love the way they're smooth in comparison to the rest of the landscaping, and the bubbles are very cool.

Sweet creatures! That is really creative. I am sad because I want to recreate them for myself but I only have velociraptors :cry_sad:

Lovely bubbles and nice build, but..."D04 environment, arid desert". I think you're on the wrong planet!

It could be an oasis in the desert for all we know.

Edited by SpacerSteve

We want domestic gubbies! They're so lime-greeney cute... how could the mighty lime-greeney M.A.N.T.I.S. ignore these adorable critters?

I do want a gubbie now! :laugh::wub: so cuuute!

Great job on all of these details! The ground looks great, and the Kawashita tech looks great too!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

You're consistently churning out excellent builds, David! While the many details of this build are great, the use of those dino heads really steal the show!

One of the great alien builds of AG, in terms of the creatures and strange colorful landscape.

Great combo of lime green and pink! Cute little aliens too, very creative! :thumbup:

There are no words to describe how beautiful your landscape is here. The striking alien colors, the absolutely gorgeous bubbling tar pits, and the flying aliens (NPU!) all come together to create the most incredible scene!

Wow, such a colourful build! :classic: The bright colours and the shape of the Kawashita structures give this an almost fairy-tale feel. The gubbies steal the show, partly with their NPU, but mostly by how cute they are :wub:

Edited by Big Sal

Fantastic build David FNJ, the lime and pink color-scheme looks superb, and those aliens are of course awesome as well! :wink::sweet: Glad to see Wheelie back in white too! :grin::classic: