Will be building this as soon as my silver reflectors arrive from Russia! :) I have finally amassed enough 40t gears for this, and other contraptions that I'm building

Looking forward to any digital instructions that you create!

I always like these 'extendable' modules that you can effectively create as long as you like... always good to get a bit of 'rise' in GBC modules, so other gravity-fed ones get a good run.

Here we are then. The build instructions are available in two forms;

1. as a PDF file
  2. as a LDraw MPD file

The PDF file is probably the place to start as it is a standalone file. It was generated by processing the MPD file with LPub.

Aside from the pictorial Bill of Materials in the instructions, the parts required for the build are also available in two different formats;

1. as a BrickStock file
  2. as a BrickLink Wanted List file

Use which ever one suits you best.

If you do download the MPD file, it references the following image files, which need to be located in the same directory as the MPD file should you use LPub;

When you are building, if you do encounter any issues or part inventory errors, please let me know.

Enjoy the build.

Regards,

David

I did do a trawl through the BrickLink parts catalogue to try to find an alternative part to the dish. The only thing that I found that might work is the 2 x 2 x 2 barrel 2489, though this is simply supposition.

2489.jpg?1

The throat of the barrel is a little smaller than that of the dish but the ball does seem to sit in it. (Yes, Mr Saddo has some of these barrels, so I just went and checked to see if it would fit). It would be nice if the barrels did work, as they are in plentiful supply but I want to get the building instructions completed (cracks whip) before I head off on a tangent.

David

The Trash Can is also an option: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=92926 92926.gif

The ball sits at the same depth as the light dish, if I'm not mistaken, the ball in the barrel sticks out a bit more.

trash-2.jpg

A plus for the barrel is that it has an axle hole, the trash can needs extra support.

trash-1.jpg

David, thanks a lot for all the work!

The building instructions look very nice.

I am certainly giving this a try.

Since I own all the parts for the ball factory I only miss a few parts for this one.

Are you planning on reverse engineering more of Akiyuki's work?

If there is anyone there with POV-Ray installed who would like to do me a favour ...

My machine is running Vista 32 bits and POV-Ray is unable to render the LDView generated POV-Ray file of the build. I'm assuming that it is 2GB memory issue for rendering. If you have a 64 bit machine, would you please try rendering the POV-Ray file and, assuming it works, upload the resulting image to whatever is your favourite hosting site and let me know so that I can download the image. I was think of posting the build to Rebrickable but was looking for a rendered image to include.

<snip>

Are you planning on reverse engineering more of Akiyuki's work?

Hi Theo, not in the immediate future. There's a few other things on my "To Do" list (including a version 11 of the Train Diamond Crossing, which is work in progress but is fully LEGO "legal" and buildable in LDD).

Regards,

David

If there is anyone there with POV-Ray installed who would like to do me a favour ...

My machine is running Vista 32 bits and POV-Ray is unable to render the LDView generated POV-Ray file of the build. I'm assuming that it is 2GB memory issue for rendering. If you have a 64 bit machine, would you please try rendering the POV-Ray file and, assuming it works, upload the resulting image to whatever is your favourite hosting site and let me know so that I can download the image. I was think of posting the build to Rebrickable but was looking for a rendered image to include.

The only time I've ever run into a problem with the 32-bit 2Gb limit is when I rendered a model with 250,000 parts. For a model like this, memory should be no problem at all. If it is not working, I'd guess that the problem is not memory. What error are you getting?

The only time I've ever run into a problem with the 32-bit 2Gb limit is when I rendered a model with 250,000 parts. For a model like this, memory should be no problem at all. If it is not working, I'd guess that the problem is not memory. What error are you getting?

I get the following displayed in the messages window:

Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.

Render failed.

after it has been running for about 2 minutes.

David

Edited by djm

I get the following displayed in the messages window:

Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.

Render failed.

after it has been running for about 2 minutes.

I took a look at your file. Your problem is that you are including the edge lines. Go back into LDView and shut off the edge lines and your file will get smaller by a factor of 100.

I took a look at your file. Your problem is that you are including the edge lines. Go back into LDView and shut off the edge lines and your file will get smaller by a factor of 100.

Thank you. That did resolve the problem.

I attempted to recreate Akiyuki's GBC module two years ago from watching the video and using the few photos that existed at the time. I made some progress, I built the input, cup-to-cup ramp and part of the spiral lift but never finished the project. Seeing this post has given me additional reference material and new energy. I'll have to get my partially completed module out, dust it off and finally finish building it. Thanks for the thread and inspiration, nice work David.

For any Rebrickable user's here, I've posted the build instructions on Rebrickable. The interface there provides a nice visual representation of the required parts.

Regards,

David

On 8/7/2015 at 8:40 AM, TechniChriS said:

The Trash Can is also an option: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=92926 92926.gif

The ball sits at the same depth as the light dish, if I'm not mistaken, the ball in the barrel sticks out a bit more.

trash-2.jpg

A plus for the barrel is that it has an axle hole, the trash can needs extra support.

trash-1.jpg

Has anyone tried these alternatives? I also thought of using 55982 wheel Rim 14 X 18 with axlehole. 55982c07.original.png

I would sure like to know about an alternative to X85 that works well.

13 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Has anyone tried these alternatives? I also thought of using 55982 wheel Rim 14 X 18 with axlehole. 55982c07.original.png

I would sure like to know about an alternative to X85 that works well.

there are black versions of part X85 being sold on aliexpress for a very cheap price, i have tested then and they work great in all the cup to cup modules

9 hours ago, 9v system said:

there are black versions of part X85 being sold on aliexpress for a very cheap price, i have tested then and they work great in all the cup to cup modules

AKA part #71128, available in white too, 10/ $2. Thanks 9v system!!