42043 - Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245 Rating  

425 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Excellent review Jim, congrats ! Pics are gorgeous like always and content is perfect. This set is a must have for me, I have the money reserved for it, I just need the set to hit the shelves. :grin:

I have a question, how does it look near 8258 or 8285 ? Is it the same scale ?

I purposely did not read this review!! I just looked at the new parts, hehehehe.

Great photography Jim, and thanks for taking the time to do this! :thumbup:

Jim,

thank you for great review! A really good written, very good photos and videos. You made a lot of work...

To Arocs... I'm not fan of pneumatics and as I see new Pneumatic is better but not satisfying in backward function...

As I know me... as I will look at this model in shops more and more... I will like it more and more and will buy it... I will see...

The most interesting new part for me are telescopic assemblies used as last part of boom and outriggers... I can imagine to use 3 of this parts at the end of boom... Of course not with combination of pneumatics...

BTW... Good choice of your car... I like the white Audi A6 in the background... Like my S6... ;)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Super great review Jim! Amazing pics as always!!!!!!

About the set: looking great, not happy with some solutions but comes with new parts that we have been waiting for years!

P.S. will it hit the shelf on the 1st August??

Jim, thanks for fantastic review! It was very interesting to read and the photos are excellent as always!

Woosh! There goes my money!

I really like this set, it's the full package. A huge number of parts, many manual and motorized features, PF, actuators, pneumatic, new parts, nice astheatics. I'm really going to buy this. :classic:

This is a nice 2H for Technic. I bought none of the sets last year (they were not bad, but I wasn't that happy about them either), but this year... The blue crane also has my attention. Are you going to review it too, Jim?

Thanks Jim!

Now seeing this great review I want this set even more. I have set aside my birthday money for it.

Nice review, thank you. I agree with Thirdwigg that the flexible parts are needed to create some play needed for compressing the suspension. (EDIT: you can even see it flexing at this point in your excelent movie of the rear suspension)

Jim, I 'm currious how compact the crane on the Arocs can be folded up? Can it be folded compactly behind the cabin like in the 8258 or maybe on top like some real trucks? Or does the crane always have to rest in bed in "transport mode" as was the case with the 8110?

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Photos are beyond amazing, as usual, Jim :)

This set really reminds me of 42008 in how the functions work together.

Thanks Sariel!

It does bare some resemblance. I have never built the 42008, but I bet it's not as good as the Merc.

Really nice review. Outstanding photos, and while I appreciate the studio shots for their detail, I think the truck looks better in the outdoors shots.

Also Jim, the purpose of those flexible rubber connectors is to allow the upper pivot points of the 4 steering arms to slightly move in towards each other when the suspension is compressed.

I agree. The outdoor shots are definitely more "natural". I'm glad I took the Merc for a ride.

That was my first thought, but after adding all the liftarms, I thought it wouldn't help. I will take a closer look.

When's your review coming?

What's "patience"? I have none of it :P

Sad to hear your camera broke though :(

Really? This is your response? First of all, it's off topic, second it's very disrespectful (to me in this case). I will send you a PM, because we need to talk.

P.S. thanks for the name dropping :blush: . It's hard being right all the time :laugh:

:laugh: (your explanation was spot on)

Your reviews never cease to amaze, incredible job as always Jim! Quick question: How sturdy is it? Obviously, being from TLG, the chassis is ridiculously sturdy, but are there any parts, like the bumpers or the cabin that feel a bit loose? I just want to know, even though I'm probably not getting the set (way out of my budget).

Thanks!! The chassis is very sturdy, and I do mean very. The cabin is pretty sturdy too. The bed is sturdy, but the connection to the chassis is a bit flimsy. Overall this is a very robust model, which can take a beating.

Excellent review Jim, congrats ! Pics are gorgeous like always and content is perfect. This set is a must have for me, I have the money reserved for it, I just need the set to hit the shelves. :grin:

I have a question, how does it look near 8258 or 8285 ? Is it the same scale ?

Thanks Freekysch! I have neither of these models built, but I am tempted to build the 8258. Looking at the pictures of the 8258, I think it's pretty much the same scale.

To all of you; thanks for the compliments. Always nice to hear your work is appreciated. I'm not much of a MOC-er, so I try to compensate with my reviews :wink:

Woosh! There goes my money!

I really like this set, it's the full package. A huge number of parts, many manual and motorized features, PF, actuators, pneumatic, new parts, nice astheatics. I'm really going to buy this. :classic:

This is a nice 2H for Technic. I bought none of the sets last year (they were not bad, but I wasn't that happy about them either), but this year... The blue crane also has my attention. Are you going to review it too, Jim?

Thanks Jim!

Sorry about your money :wink:

I might be reviewing the Crane, but not any time soon. Looking at the videos, it doesn't really spark my interest. I will get it for my collection, but I like the fire plane better.

Here's a picture of the actual cabin. The main difference is that the LEGO version only has three bars, instead of 4. I can live with this.

Actually, there is a real life version of Arocs that has three bars on the front: http://media.daimler.com/Projects/c2c/channel/images/974830_1883086_400_267_13C433_024.jpg

Although I do not know if this cabin version is actually possible in real life Arocs 3245, but at least in some models it exists.

Thank you Jim for your excellent review! :sweet:

Actually, there is a real life version of Arocs that has three bars on the front: http://media.daimler.com/Projects/c2c/channel/images/974830_1883086_400_267_13C433_024.jpg

Although I do not know if this cabin version is actually possible in real life Arocs 3245, but at least in some models it exists.

Thank you Jim for your excellent review! :sweet:

Thanks!

Nice find. I know there was some discussion about the 3-bar version in the Information Topic, but on the Mercedes site I only found the one with 4 bars. Could this be a previous version?

Perhaps it's some lowered cabin variant? European trucks typically come with several cabin variants to choose from. Although Mercedes website shows all cabs with 4 bars.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some with five bars in real life :wacko: Seriously

Then it's clear: they must represent driver's skill level ;)

:laugh:

Then it's clear: they must represent driver's skill level ;)

Oh, I can roughly imagine what Level 700 would look like.

Great review and great pictures. I'll read it again later, but it's interesting to see the front steering and suspension. I've used ideas, gained from earlier images, to build my own merc truck so it's good to get more tips. Can't say I will buy it as yet but that's purely down to cost.

H

a masterpiece review for a masterpiece set! It's incredible how complex this technic models have come