Nacho

Lego 60097 Tram converted to monorail

It's in the rear carriage, you can't really see it in the photos because the battery box is black and the windows are tinted a bit. You can tell it's there when looking in person but overall doesn't stand out too much.

It's in the rear carriage, you can't really see it in the photos because the battery box is black and the windows are tinted a bit. You can tell it's there when looking in person but overall doesn't stand out too much.

Ahh ok! That's one of the best solutions indeed.

On 6/29/2015 at 5:20 PM, Nacho said:

The centre of gravity has definitely moved a bit, you can tell this is a lot higher than originally intended, I don't think you could go much taller.

I also didn't realise how much of a jolt the train gets when it hits the directional / stop switches! My poor mini figs will be putting neck braces on soon :)

Nacho, I've the 60097 set and only the tram assembled so far (most interesting item in that box). So, play has been limited. That is till I saw this post and your creation. Is it safe to assume (newbie here) that you built this Tram on a monorail chassis?

Yes I did, hardest part was getting a solid fit on the centre over the monorail motor. I have it packed away at the moment while my winter village scene is out but once I get it back out again I'll take some more pictures.

I already bought it with intention to motorize it. Here it is in my amusement park from our last exhibition:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

General question - are the tracks for Monorail 6991 different from those for other LEGO monorails (like 6990)?

Edited by Bernie56

On 1/10/2017 at 1:41 AM, JHS_NL said:

If I am not mistaken these tracks should be the same as far as I know.

Would love to share a pic or two here but trying to figure out how.

The first picture is the monorail track that Lego produced.Ā The second photo is of straight train rails from the 12v/4.5v era, when the tracks consisted of multiple pieces for rail and crossties. Those notches in the end and middle are where the ties would clip into place.

(Also, I've had trouble with linking pictures from Flickr, the best way I've found is to hit the share button on the bottom right of the pic, choose BBCode, pick a smaller size to meet Eurobricks rules (I typically choose 640x480) and just drop that into the text area. There's a tutorial somewhere on here but I've always had trouble finding it unless someone else happens to post it. Just thought it would be helpful!)

Edited by CrispyBassist

27 minutes ago, CrispyBassist said:

The first picture is the monorail track that Lego produced.Ā The second photo is of straight train rails from the 12v/4.5v era, when the tracks consisted of multiple pieces for rail and crossties. Those notches in the end and middle are where the ties would clip into place.

(Also, I've had trouble with linking pictures from Flickr, the best way I've found is to hit the share button on the bottom right of the pic, choose BBCode, pick a smaller size to meet Eurobricks rules (I typically choose 640x480) and just drop that into the text area. There's a tutorial somewhere on here but I've always had trouble finding it unless someone else happens to post it. Just thought it would be helpful!)

Thank you. Will try your suggestion to share from Flickr. When you follow the link above, were you able to see my other pics as well (total 5; all LEGO train related; I am new to Flickr too)

I have seen several Images of Monorail-Conversions based on the 9V-Brick, but couldn't find a version I was happy with because it blocked to much of the tram. I spent some time over the holidays fiddling with my own tram and found a vertical solution i am happy with. Basicly i mountet the 9V-Block in a way that it fits verticaly inside one of the 4-wide windows. I tried to give the engine block a somewhat futuristic look, fitting an "all-glass"-Tram.Ā I am not perfectly happy with the second carriage, maybe i will redo it when i get 2Ā more windows.Ā 

Sorry for the image quality, i could get a focused picture with the whole tram, the Images of the Details are better. Click on the Tram to view the Image Gallery:

uc?export=view&id=1kUgFTSWtGwuJUTH8f4V4H

The ownly downside so far is that now the Airport-Monorail looks quite ridiculously small next to it :-/

Edited by HiFish

Thank you! The hardest part was figuring out a way to avoid a collision between the 9V-Box an the window piece at the top. The solution can be seen in the last picture: I used the old-style piecesĀ for the 90-degree rotation of the studs, which have excatcly the same thickness as the window-piece-frame. This allows the closed window to slide in exactly next to the 9V-Box.

s-l300.jpg