Sign in to follow this  
Aveal  the black sheep

Design Question/Reflexion

Hello fellow customizers,

I thought of putting something out here for discussion. Recently on my minifig design process I came across a issue, belts.For me up until now, in my designs, belts would always be placed on the hip part as to me that is the minifig waist.Looking at the lego minifigs (and other peoples designs) I noticed that is not always the case. In fact the majority of belts and waist lines is placed on the torso, and I could not find a criteria for when TLG puts them on one or the other.

To me the hip part makes more sense as it leaves more room on the torso for torso related details and more its a more clear definition of a waist line.

Anyone ever thought about this? I would love to hear some opinions on the matter from other people that design customs minifigs.

Thanks in advance and hope I wasn't too long

Cheers

I agree! Belts belong on the hip part of the leg assembly b/c putting them on the torsos make it look like the guy has his pants up too high. Great for grandpa; not so great for heroes. Also, the belt on the torso limits customization in alot of cases.

good question. I'd say is a matter of the Figure you are going to design. For example I'd never put a belt on a female characters hips... oh...I just noticed that I did, but will come to it later. does not look right to me.

Also Batman's utility belt is a good example for a belt that would look wrong on his hips. If the purpose of the belt is to keep your pants up, go for the hips.

In the end it's just a matter of taste.

And Lego isn't consistent with belt placing too.