Sign in to follow this  
Carsten Svendsen

Need help with a gearbox design

Yesterday I tried to build a gearbox and I kind of succeeded, but not for the application I wanted.

You see, I don't know anything about gearboxes, well, on how to build them anyway.

I want a sequential working gearbox, and the way I built it, the it goes like 1-3-2 which is obviously not the right way to change speeds at.

I want 4 speeds, or at least 3. No reverse though, all the same direction

Currently, my input/output ratios are as follows:

1:1,8

1:3,75

1:6,25

I do not want a 1:1 ratio, as I think 1:1,8 is plenty fast already. The gearbox is designed to gear down and 1:6,25 is ok slow but I don't mind if it gets a bit slower if necessary for the gears to fit.

The drive motor I'm using is the RC buggy which has been geared down 1:3 before going into the gearbox. Torque is important.

I build Piterx' sequential design but I'd like something that locks both levers into place at all times. The design is a bit flimsy

Don't worry about bracing and stuff, I just need the gear combinations/placements. That'd be a great help :)

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

Try this. Sequential, levers locked at all times, 4 speeds with ratios from 5:1 to 1:1, you can gear it down between gearbox and the axle if you feel this is too fast. It's braced so well, you can bash somebody to death with it :) Instructions available at my website:

Edited by Sariel

Hmm... I haven't seen this Gearbox from Piterx... Interesting Idea...

He got good made Video like that from Sariel... Good music and Video editing...

And one interesting feature... rear mirror in interieur... :P

MaxSupercars