Hi there!

(This part can be ignored)

I'm currently doing a project that involves taking every currently available D&D 5e miniature and making them into Lego. I've been doing my preliminary thoughts, and a problem came up:

(Important starts here)

I need a way to make minifigs larger without being Bigfig sized, partly due to the minimal customisation options of Bigfigs. So I'm asking you guys for help; how can I make a larger figure without going Bigfig?

Any questions just ask.

Thanks, and I look forward to you guys sage advice.

Difficult! I have worked on a dryad once and wanted to make it taller than regular figs. Most techniques have their disadvantages:

- using the famous longer legs from the toy story Woody figure -> legs ony come in one color, also the ratio torso/legs looks odd afterwards

- using 1x1 plates as shoes -> looks odd, they don't integrate visually with the leg

- using 1x2 plates between legs and torso -> looks odd because they are bigger than a waist and a torso, also the studs of the legs need to be cut off

- using a hairpiece that looks a bit taller than others

I ended up using method 1,2 and 4. By gluing additional parts I covered borders between parts to make it look more coherent. Woody's legs I painted.

There are some alternative techniques out there to built custom legs. But they never appealed to me.

A purist who wants figs in a shape different from official products? Does not sound very purist any more. :classic: But I know what you mean.

There are some ways to make legs from a combination of clips, technic links and such. But I don't know where they are.

All good ideas! Please do keep in mind though, I'm a purist. Bit of a curse at times like these. :wink:

If you are a purist, your only real option is using tiles on the feet. Pretty much everything else involves some sort of cutting or painting since Woody's legs only come in blue.

It sounds like an interesting project.

Depending on whether you mean actual minifigs, or just creatures that are compatible in size with minifigs might change things.

You can make entire figures out of various little clip and bar pieces. The pros will be that you can get a lot of detail and very extensive customisation with totally purist parts, AND keep the figure fairly compact and poseable. The cons are that they're very fiddly and very fragile. Really more suited for display rather than play.

Do a Google image search for "Lego hard suit" and "Lego mini mech". You'll see what I'm talking about.

Another idea would be to look at the new ball and socket joints that come with Mixels or the Chima Legend Beasts. Very useful parts indeed, and will make a much more robust figure than the "hard suit" aproach. The downside here is that the parts only come in limited colours at the moment, and you probably won't be able to make the figure as small (but depending on how big/small you're aiming for, that may not be an issue).

Good luck with it!

Considering that it's not for actually playing with, just for... display-play, I've come up with the following:

1-Plates under feet.

2-Wear armour, possibly also a hip accessory.

3-Wear a tall hat, or at leats a larger one than usual.

Thanks for the help?

Depending on the look, Saber-Scorpion has some pretty solid builds. They're more alien/reptilian, but D&D's gotta have some reptilian creatures, eh? Notable are his Halo Elites -If you scroll to the bottom there's a little tutorial. He did cut some stuff, and uses decals, but you can work around the cutting and with what you're aiming for it doesn't sound like you can afford to be too choosy on having faces printed :P

The other are his "Slashrim", which are similar but his tutorial has some different techniques. Plus you can always look at some of the other pictures of both Elites and Slashrim (the non-tutorials) for some variants he used.

In my experience, having built a couple before, they're actually decently sturdy. Whether you're planning on displaying them or might want to play with them some you might want to chose a different build. Some might hold together better while others might stand better on their own. That's mostly in the legs, and if you have a tail like in his Slashrim that helps incredibly to hold them up.