Konajra

MOC [WIP] Caterpillar 8200 Dragline 1:40

Most of you may know me from my ships, but I started out with building mining machines. For my new project I have decided to start on a Cat 8200 dragline. A large mining machine used in stripmines to excavate overburden. I hope that I can have it finished before october this year so that I can demonstrate, it during LEGOWorld Utrecht and perhaps Brick 2015 in London, digging woodchips.

My exampl: a diecast model of the Cat 8200

16896894014_cfb9929d5a_c.jpg

Caterpillar 8200 Dragline by Arjan Oude Kotte, on Flickr

Ever since I finished my P&H 4100 XPC in minifig scale I wanted to build a walking dragline. but back in 2010/2011 I had no idea how to build a mechanism that was strong enough to get such a machine to walk. Let alone that I had all the technic bricks and beams needed to build a 2,20 m long boom.

I now have started with the Cat 8200 walking dragline. I have a smooth working turntable and a walking mechanism that works untill now. If that will still be the case once the machine is finished remains to be seen. Since I want to put in as much detail as I have done in my Cat 7495 this will be a very heavy model, and more weight will probably result in a machine that will not walk anymore. we'll see.

Here is a first photo of what I have so far:

17333180569_204d155e71_b.jpg

Work In Progress by Arjan Oude Kotte, on Flickr

Still a lot of work to be done

Yes, Maybe I am in over my head with this one. I hope I will be able to get it to work completely. With as much detail as possbile and a as sleek as possible boom. I am planning on using studless beams connected with plates instead of technic bricks for the boomsection

There is some progress, I have built a small section of the boom and started with the operators cabin due to a lack of technic beams and bricks

18204737020_9662f2ed57_c.jpg

Cat 8200 walking dragline WIP by Arjan Oude Kotte, on Flickr

18392425915_55796780e1_c.jpg

Cat 8200 walking dragline WIP by Arjan Oude Kotte, on Flickr

Here's a video of the Cat slewing:

[media]

] Edited by Konajra

I hope that boom will be sturdy enough. Looks great so far!

IIRC Sariel also attempted to build an oversized walking dragline (or was it a bucket-wheel excavator?), but failed. Maybe you can ask him for advice.

Edited by jantjeuh

It looks interesting. I'looking forward for the result. It's always problem with big Lego models. Too big load for the Lego pieces...

This is BIG! You may need to think about a bigger house :classic:

YEs or start building smaller models

This is HUGE! And you're not done yet?

Well, it is not getting any bigger than this. But the walking is over now the boom is attached.

Edited by Konajra

The boom is strong enough to hold the bucket and all the cabledrums work smoothly. Now it is time to finish the boom with all its details like lights and staircases. That is a lot of work. there are running 4 stairs up to the top of the boom. At 2 places these stairs are connected from left to right and upper and lower stairs. Knowing myself a little bit I must finish the boom completely before I start working on the superstrucure. If I do it the otherway around the boom most likely will not be finished.

18653445229_e1a8dde02d_c.jpg

building staircases. " don' t look down....... focus on the bolts" by Arjan Oude Kotte, on Flickr

18828509571_2b572b5e2f_c.jpg

Bucket attached. by Arjan Oude Kotte, on Flickr

Edited by Konajra

I like to see such big models... I know how to hard it to build such a model because LEGO parts are sometimes weak and you have to change the whole design...

Max...

Wow, impressive progress and so many nice details!

How many functions and motors to you plan to use? I would assume that 4 L motors won't move this a bit.

How high is the boom at max? On some of the pictures it's looks like it's just a bit under 2 meters high which an can't believe.

Wow, impressive progress and so many nice details!

How many functions and motors to you plan to use? I would assume that 4 L motors won't move this a bit.

How high is the boom at max? On some of the pictures it's looks like it's just a bit under 2 meters high which an can't believe.

The top of the boom is about 1,4m high. When the boom is not attached it walks with 2 XL motors. With the boom attached it can't walk any more. the pressure on the tub that has to slide over the ground is to much for the elemnts to get it to move.