paksu

2928 Airlane Promotional Set review

index2.jpg

Hello!

After reviewing 2064 Air Ambulance, I noticed that the 2006 �Airline Promotional Set (2928)" had not yet been reviewed in EB. So here goes.

I bought this cute little set last April on a KLM flight from Schiphol (Amsterdam) to Helsinki for 16�. Whether they still sell it, I don�t know, but at least it�s available on TUIfly charter flights.

Box and contents

As mentioned, I purchased this little bird last April, so you�ll have to excuse me for providing pictures of a ripped box and a half-used DSS. :-| It never crossed my mind that there�d by no review here for such an old set then�

01_box1.jpg

Cannot wait to build� must� rip� box� open� by force� I probably didn�t even start unpacking my bags until this was completely built.

02_box2.jpg

The box contained two booklets; one for the �maintenance hangar� and one for the plane itself.

03_books.jpg

I feel silly posting this picture but here it is. :-$ This is one of the rare occasions when I actually have used some of the stickers. The tail stickers were crucial for the look of the plane, a really nice touch, I think. The rest of the stickers represent exhaust hatches, fuel valves and plane identifications.

04_dss.jpg

Build

The model contains two minifigs. The pilot is a really smart looking character. The maintenance person, on the other hand, looks like he�s up to no good.

05_minifigs.jpg

I really like the engine bodies. They add some much-needed credibility to this otherwise too cute set.

06_build1.jpg

The entire tail section functions as a cargo door. Nice structure, although looks a bit silly.

07_build2.jpg

And after a rather straightforward build, we are left with three little extra bricks:

08_extra.jpg

Finished model

The �hangar� is a nice, little addition with play potential. The maintenance-dude has plenty of tools at his disposal. The windsock particularly is a fun touch.

09_hangar.jpg

The �cargo� is a mailbox with a clear lid. It fits snugly inside the craft. The set includes two red coffee cups, which can be stuffed to the cargo box and flown to some remote location, for some reason.

You�ll notice that the roof of the cargo area also opens. Both doors are normally sealed shut with a white 2x2 tile.

10_loading.jpg

The first thing you�ll notice (after the � *wub* awwww, how cute�-reaction) is that the plane is short. Really, really short. It could certainly use a few more studs in length.

14_finished_side.jpg

13_finished_open.jpg

11_finished.jpg

Overall

Well yes, it is cute. So cute I�m almost sick.

No, just kidding. This little bird just cries out to be picked up and flown across the room while making silly propeller engine noises. The cargo box, the hangar, and the tools add plenty of play potential. I�m thinking about taking the control tower from my Train Level Crossing, adding a modified hangar in red and a few straight roadplates with lights, and there�s my neat little town airport! Maybe next week�

Pros:

• It�s a brick-built plane that fits perfectly to my little town and has plenty of play value.
  • Price per brick with 141 pieces is about 0,11�, which I guess is fairly reasonable for a �rare� promo set.
  • The hangar is a nice bonus, especially when I add the new ambulance promo plane to my little airport.

Cons:

• It�s so cute and especially short that it�s silly.
  • As a promo set, you must fly in order to get it (or pay too much on eBay).

Overall I give it a 8/10. Add some length and it�s a 9.

Hi again paksu!

Nice review - makes me want one or seven of these babies ASAP *wub*! I totally concur with *yoda* - I love these small Promo

I saw this little plane in your other review and was kinda hoping your would make one for this too.

And again you did an awesome job. Very professional review with great pictures !!

If I would have a Lego airport, this would be nice to have.

Our national airport in Brussels has a separate area for small planes like this one.

I often notice them when I go on a vacation or trip.

Thanks for this second review Paksu!

The plane is really nice, even if it's short. And the hangar adds a lot in terme of design and playability. Really nice!

Anyone that has a possibility to fix me up with some will be greatly rewarded *sweet*!

+1 with me!

And Paksu, if you will make your airport as describe, just show us some pics, it's always cool to see new mocs.

Tks again for a brilliant review of a great and cute little plane !! Oh how I wish TLC decided to produce them in mass production instead of that Playmocrap plane |-/

Its neat how the rear opens up sideways to allow a mini cargo !! Pretty cool looking even if its not very practical !!

Damn you TLC for not realeasing these great sets >:-(

Anyone that has a possibility to fix me up with some will be greatly rewarded *sweet*!

Lets not forget our little French friend there :-P

Promos ON !!

*yoda*

I have created a thread here to discuss this if you are interested. *sweet*

A very decent review, a very cute and lovely set! *y*

I really would like to see more sets like that, maybe just a little larger,

instead of those too huge and too slick new City Airport planes.... 8-|

Hello,

Greetings for Japan guys

It is hot LIKE A stove out here!

I just got is promo plane on my plqne to japan.

wel gotta go

05_minifigs.jpg

Great review! Thank you for sharing and welcome on Eurobricks! I'm very happy to meet you.

^This pic is my favorite part of your review. I wonder what that pilot did to the maintenance man for him to want to oil his morning coffee! :-D :-D :-D You've given me a great idea! >:-) mwahahaha!

Anyway thanks again for the great review and welcome! *sweet* *y*