paksu

2064 Air Ambulance pic review

index2.jpg

Okay then, first post. I�ve been around for a while, but as a shy Finn I only registered now that I have something to contribute� ;-)

Just purchased this little plane for 16,50� on a TUIfly flight back from my holiday in Crete (superb place, btw). They also had 7942 and 2928 and a package deal of all three for the price of 33�.

Box and contents

box.jpg

box_rear.jpg

We have three part bags, and the wings and the rear hatch/roof.

contents.jpg

The DSS is quite bland for this model� Doesn�t add much to the final look.

dss.jpg

Build

The model contains two minifigs, the doctor/pilot and the gentleman posing as a patient. The doctor fig is quite boring (despite his multiple talents), but I like the sophisticated look of the patient fellow.

minifigs.jpg

First the stretcher trolley. The stretcher itself does not have the usual hinged �wheels�.

stretcher.jpg

The plane uses the new windshield in TransLightBlue. The build is rather straightforward, no surprises here.

build.jpg

The usual extra pieces:

extra.jpg

Finished model

The stretcher trolley does not fit inside the plane, only the stretcher itself with a patient.

strecher_in.jpg

Things get a little bit uncomfortable for the pilot/doctor with the stretcher inside. I would imagine needing quite a bit more elbow room for quick manoeuvres�

strecher_doctor.jpg

And here is the completed plane. As you can see, I have left the stickers unattached (as I usually do anyway), since they add but little to the outlook.

No complaints about the design of this plane, although the rear hatch is rather bulky� I especially like the mounting of the rear wheels with the lights attached.

2064.jpg

2064_front.jpg

2064_top.jpg

The landing light at the bottom of the plane is a nice detail.

2064_below.jpg

Overall

Here is the finished model with 2928 (my fleet, yay!). I really like these �little� planes, since the new 7893 Passanger Plane to my taste is way too big and bulky for any tabletown� Ok, it might be in correct minifig scale for a jet, but these babies, on the other hand, are neatly constructed and sensible in the context of my (chronically disassembled) town with population of around 40� What I really would like to see is a brick-built propeller passenger plane carrying maybe three minifig passengers, along the design lines of these promo planes.

2064_and_2928.jpg

Pros:

• The design is refreshingly different from 2928 (and especially the current jet planes).
  • The plane looks ok without the stickers, i.e. it can be identified as an ambulance without them.
  • It is a cute little plane that does not consist of huge ugly pieces with little MOCcing possibilities�

Cons:

• The design of 2928 is a bit better in some aspects (I like the motors and the door mechanisms of 2928).
  • With 116 pieces, the price per brick is a rather expensive 0,14�.
  • As a promo set, it is only available on some airlines.

Overall I�d give it a 8,5/10. Cute, but not enough chutzpah.

nice revieuw and a cool looking plane for a small city

edit: weird i can't find it on lego.com :S where did u bought it?

Edited by wouwie13

Welcome to Eurobricks and what a way to introduce yourself! I would love one of these, but they are so hard to get. (Maybe we should start a promo club where people list what they want and when someone flys they buy some?) It is pretty funny thought how the poor doctor is so close to the stretcher. :-P

I agree that 7893 is way too big. I have one and it spends it's life shelved... :'-( It is just too big to integrate into my layout.

edit: weird i can't find it on lego.com :S where did u bought it?

As he said, it is a promo set, and is only available on some airlines.

danm, i want it!!!! i need to go flying to buy it....... but i never fly! >:-(

danm, i want it!!!! i need to go flying to buy it....... but i never fly! >:-(

They don't even do these in Australia. The best we get is stuff like this...

tt928.jpg

ebay has one, current bid 12,50$ and 12,50$ shipping danm.........

ebay has one, current bid 12,50$ and 12,50$ shipping danm.........

KLM has a store at Schiphol Airport in the area near the runway. Perhaps, you can grab one or more there. Perhaps it is even tax free (no VAT) since it is located in the airport zone. I got my 2928 and 4032 over there. All it takes is driving to Amsterdam.

Welcome!

Nice review. Am I right in thinking that the pilot has no controls?

There seems to be a control panel here.

build.jpg

Perhaps it is a touch screen controled plane? X-D

Perhaps it is a touch screen controled plane? X-D

It's this part:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3039px58

I guess it's mainly used to activate the autopilot, since he can hardly move his hands... Don't know what the floppy disk is for, though.

Edited by paksu

KLM has a store at Schiphol Airport in the area near the runway. Perhaps, you can grab one or more there. Perhaps it is even tax free (no VAT) since it is located in the airport zone. I got my 2928 and 4032 over there. All it takes is driving to Amsterdam.

Hey do they still have the 4032 overthere? and do they also have the 4778, I'm hoping I can buy it on a KLM plane

I'll be in schiphol tomorrow, Going to japan

A very neat and reasonable review, very useful pictures, great work! *y*

That plane

Seems like a nice little plane. Reminds me of a series I watched years ago (flying doctors).

These planes are a perfect addition to any airport. They are a bit small, but still seem to have a good playability level.

Welcome at Eurobricks. You

Seems like a nice little plane. Reminds me of a series I watched years ago (flying doctors).

You are kidding; The Flying Doctors, the Australian show, was seen in Belgium?! 8-

Welcome to EB my shy Finn Paksu ;-)

Many tks for a really neat review of a fantastic set *wub* Oh boy how I love those airline promos, its the normal fantastic size of planes compared to the new huge and useless Lego/Playmo plane :-X

And that promo is just really neat !! I really do envy you having both latets promo planes !!

That plane is really nice looking and the integration of the strecher in the plane is really well thought out ;-)

Tks so much for sharing ;-)

Promo On !!

*yoda*

Nice little plane... But wouldn't the patient suffer from decompression in flight? Seeing the big holes on the roof next to where the rear hatch is conected...

(I know, I know, i'm just being picky...)

You are kidding; The Flying Doctors, the Australian show, was seen in Belgium?! Or have I added 2 and 2 and got 40....

Yay, we've got quite a few... The one I loved most was SpellBinder... *y* but only the first serie, though... The second one was rather annoying with that whinig brat always running along...

Welcome Paksu!

It's nice to see pics from this set! And more with a review!

I didn't imagine the back like that... So I'm happy to have read your review!

I really like those promo airline sets! But I don't fly (have never taken the plane...)

So Sinner, your idea of a promo club can be very nice :-)

We have a lot of australian shows. What that one called again with al the highchool kids from the early nintees, and neighbours... but a lot of kid shows

Do you mean Nighbours? I think that is still running, as with Home and Away but I don't watch much TV. One show a week is an oddity for me!

Yay, we've got quite a few... The one I loved most was SpellBinder... *y* but only the first serie, though... The second one was rather annoying with that whinig brat always running along...

SpellBinder was a joint Polish/Australian production (like me :-P ) so I am not surprised. From what I saw of it at the time it looked OK. I was a bit old at the time though.

So Sinner, your idea of a promo club can be very nice :-)

I'll look into it. X-D

Your review was great Paksu. I give you two *y* up. I hope this set will be available through S@H in the US. Otherwise, we usually miss out on these kinds of sets. Ebay is nice, but sometimes the price can get a bit too expensive. Thanks again for the review.

Many thanks for the feedback, guys!

Incidentally, it seems that the earlier promo set 2928 has not yet been reviewed in EB? (All I found about it was this ancient thread.)

Should I tease you guys with another review of a set most you won

Should I tease you guys with another review of a set most you won’t be able to buy ;-), or is it old news? As I mentioned they were still selling it… As was KLM, at least in last April (that's where I got mine).

Old set reviews are still welcome! *sweet*

I would just like to let you know that i just bought this set here in australia at my local Kmart. It retails for about $20 AU about $10 US. There was a 15% off sale so it made the find even better.

I might buy a second one and rebadge it with police stickers...a far better design than what we will get next year.

Looks like 2064 is no longer a airline promo set, i hope you live near a kmart sinner.