Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

Early LEGO Trains of Mine - steam - diesel - passenger coaches

I have been continually modifying the steamer for 11 years, the diesel for 4 years, and the coaches for almost a decade. The steamer and coaches were produced by my father, while the diesel is a MOD of another person's BR class 08.

The steamer is getting new number-plates, working pistons, and drivers soon instead of the original model's 9V-era wheels. The diesel is getting cosmetically updated with a new number, and the coaches are (basically) staying the same.

0-4-0 steam switcher MOC

17380396851_9e92f25eb3_z.jpg

This push-along copy of the engine in set 7722 was my gateway into Lego trains. I later added a My Own Train (set 3741) style tender, a new boiler, and so on. I am now adding working pistons (thanks to Hunter Dobbs!) and numbers to the sides of the engine and tender. The engine has gears as stand-ins for medium Big Ben Bricks wheels.

17380737315_c6901785aa_z.jpg

BRS goes on the tender, while 5972 goes on the engine. The number of the engine is a tribute to "Olton Hall" (No. 5972) or "Hogwarts Castle" from the Harry Potter films. I really liked that engine when I was little.

Fictional background for the steamer:

Built in 1929 by Baldwin Locomotive Works for Brick Railway Systems (BRS), engine #5972 was supposed to be part of a 55-strong engine order, but the Great Depression started, causing BRS to cancel the last eight engines, leaving 5972 the last of it's class. The type has been painted in standard black with a red stripe.

LDD file for the steamer: http://www.mocpages....1430843115m.lxf

BR Class 09 Diesel switcher MOD

17380396491_813e5f5660_z.jpg

I borrowed this British diesel design from Eurobricks user ChromeKnight in 2011, and made it in real life for Christmas of that year. This model was my introduction to Studs Not On Top (also known as SNOT) and has been very helpful to me over the years.

17354779416_fa8c3aabfe_z.jpg

The rear features three tail-lights. The number of this engine (8311) is the reverse of it's original number, 1138, to better fit with my numbering scheme for my trains.

Fictional background for this diesel:

In 1960, Brick Railway Systems (also known as BRS) was trying to find a good multipurpose (yet small) diesel switcher. It noticed the success of the British Railways ' Class 08 and so BRS asked the English railway if they would be willing to part with some about 10 Class 08's. The British took their time, but responded with one better: Class 09's, which have a higher speed of about 28 Miles per hour. Desperate for relief for their strained steam switchers, BRS said yes, and in April 1963, ten Class 09's made the journey across the Atlantic Ocean to BRS, whereupon they were numbered 8310 to 8320 and painted black with a single red stripe.

LDD file for the diesel: http://www.mocpages....1430843320m.lxf

Two-Axle passenger coaches

These cars were inspired by two 4.5V sets: set 7722 "Steam Cargo Train, Battery"'s mail car & set 7715, "Push-Along Passenger Steam Train" and it's two passenger cars. My dad built these for me in the early 2000's.

16758204574_ace52efdfb_z.jpg

I added a passageway through the front of the mail / baggage car to allow the conductor to do his duties and made the bright colors of the original train more subdued with good ol' Brick Railway Systems black with a red stripe.

17380397731_ce53d73531_z.jpg

The rear of the baggage car has room for the letters BRS, standing for Brick Railway Systems.

LDD file for the coaches: http://www.mocpages....1430843654m.lxf

Well, until I get real pictures taken of these, that's it for these.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: added the fictional backgrounds for the diesel and the steam engine.

Edited by Murdoch17

Great work yet again, Murdoch (no relation to Rupert I hope!!!).

Great work yet again, Murdoch (no relation to Rupert I hope!!!).

No, I'm not related to anyone named Rupert in any way...

Thanks for the comment, by the way!