msx80

[Software] Blueprint, a building instruction generator for LDD

4 minutes ago, fastbjorn said:

Where did you guys get version 22 from?

I got the Mac version in the link that Malou posted. You can find that link reposted by msx80 on the previous page (11).

First off, a HUGE thank you to those involved with making a working native Mac version for this! Finally after a year I can get my hands on with this awesome tool! 

I find it incredibly intuitive to use, loving the results so far.... however, I keep running into a game-stopper issue. 

Running build 22, it loads up saying "Crashing on Mac too!".... I haven't had it crash on me once. However, I have noticed several times now I've been working along on my step design, and I go to regenerate the steps..... and it just stops working. Nothing I do seems to fix the issue, I've tried "updating model", I've tried closing and rebooting. Once it stops generating, I basically have to scrap the whole file and start fresh. I managed to get through the first floor of a Modular without having this issue (121 steps).... but I fear it could occur on the last steps of a multi-hundred step manual which would be a colossal kick in the pants. 

Has anyone run into this issue?

Is there a specific trigger causing it, that isn't in fact random? Something that I could be intentionally avoiding?  

17 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

First off, a HUGE thank you to those involved with making a working native Mac version for this! Finally after a year I can get my hands on with this awesome tool! 

I find it incredibly intuitive to use, loving the results so far.... however, I keep running into a game-stopper issue. 

Running build 22, it loads up saying "Crashing on Mac too!".... I haven't had it crash on me once. However, I have noticed several times now I've been working along on my step design, and I go to regenerate the steps..... and it just stops working. Nothing I do seems to fix the issue, I've tried "updating model", I've tried closing and rebooting. Once it stops generating, I basically have to scrap the whole file and start fresh. I managed to get through the first floor of a Modular without having this issue (121 steps).... but I fear it could occur on the last steps of a multi-hundred step manual which would be a colossal kick in the pants. 

Has anyone run into this issue?

Is there a specific trigger causing it, that isn't in fact random? Something that I could be intentionally avoiding?  

Hi!

I have had this issue too, but there is an easy fix!

Scroll through your steps and look for a line between two steps that are thicker than the other ones. Those are usually appearing near a submodel. Now create a new step to the left of this thick line, and move all of the bricks inside of the step on the right, to your new step. The thick line should now be to the left of an empty step. Delete the empty step and you will see the thick line disappear!

It happens that these lines appear multiple times in your model, so check all of it. This happens sometimes when deleting steps inside of a submodel. I have told msx80 about this bug already.

The regenerate button should now work! :D

On 12/13/2016 at 1:02 PM, msx80 said:

This error looks like you havent unzipped all the files and subfolders of the installation zip.

This is actually some broken data in the blueprint model. You have some "ghost" submodels with no steps in it:

F83wasB.png

they're a bug and will break the generation of instructions. To remove them, move away the valid submodel and remove the step completely.

You can see an explanation here! :classic:

Hello

I am new to this forum, and i have just recently rediscovered lego. This tool looks great, but as i have a prehistoric pc, its not able to run it. I have the ldd and the building instructions there are, well lets say, could be better. I own the 42036 and want to build the mocs. Google finds more or less three different models, a bicycle, chopper and supermoto. Can someone here make a pdf or xml instructions of the models, and send them to me? 

Thank you.

On January 19, 2017 at 8:40 AM, ThinkCleverAndSmart said:

Hi!

I have had this issue too, but there is an easy fix!

Scroll through your steps and look for a line between two steps that are thicker than the other ones. Those are usually appearing near a submodel. Now create a new step to the left of this thick line, and move all of the bricks inside of the step on the right, to your new step. The thick line should now be to the left of an empty step. Delete the empty step and you will see the thick line disappear!

It happens that these lines appear multiple times in your model, so check all of it. This happens sometimes when deleting steps inside of a submodel. I have told msx80 about this bug already.

The regenerate button should now work! :D

Legendary! Thanks dude, this is excellent. I knew there must be something I was doing to cause it. I had actually observed that thicker line before, but never thought anything of it. Never realized it might be the culprit, and with your explanation, it's obviously quite easy to amend! Excellent! 

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

Legendary! Thanks dude, this is excellent. I knew there must be something I was doing to cause it. I had actually observed that thicker line before, but never thought anything of it. Never realized it might be the culprit, and with your explanation, it's obviously quite easy to amend! Excellent! 

sorry i meant to reply to your post earlier but then forgot :P It's indeed the ghost submodel problem. It's very common, I'll have to fix them in the next release.

Glad to see you like the program!

Edited by msx80

On January 22, 2017 at 2:22 AM, msx80 said:

sorry i meant to reply to your post earlier but then forgot :P It's indeed the ghost submodel problem. It's very common, I'll have to fix them in the next release.

Glad to see you like the program!

It's absolutely excellent. Now that I know the workaround to the issue I find it's completely functional! The only issue I'm seeing now is the odd quantities it can come up with on submodel callouts. Seems it gets the (x#) correct if there are ONLY parts to the submodels included in that step... add any extra parts to that step and the numbers have potential to go out of wack. Sometimes way out of wack! 

I'm not intending to use these instructions for anyone but myself though, and since I designed the models, it's not an issue either since I know what's up. Once that bug is fixed though, I suspect this is ready for Release Candidate 1! 

Love it. 

On January 6, 2017 at 7:50 AM, supertruper1988 said:

You can also add arrows but it seems to be a little tough to do. 

Any insight on how this is actually done? Your screen caps didn't show any arrows. Easy enough to add them in post production of course, but if it was a built in feature.... 

I havent actually used them because I cannot figure it out haha!

As for you x# issue, I like to emulate TLG's instruction style for my own so that if I ever want to share them, they are easy to follow. I would recommend having only a few parts per step. The x# thing only works for small sub models that are marked as callouts.

First at all my best compliments for such a well-made program.

I'm using it on my pc with great satisfaction and very good results.

I have just one question: can I apply a background custom image to all of the pages in your instructions, perhaps taking advantage of the possible override of the LDD db.lif contents?  

10 minutes ago, Ex cinno said:

First at all my best compliments for such a well-made program.

I'm using it on my pc with great satisfaction and very good results.

I have just one question: can I apply a background custom image to all of the pages in your instructions, perhaps taking advantage of the possible override of the LDD db.lif contents?  

Thanks :) you can set a custom background, but you have to manually change the config file located under: C:\Users\youruser\AppData\Roaming\blueprint.ini

just set:

page.background=c:\mypath\background.png

make sure it's the same size as your pages and make it transparent so that the substep colors are visible.

26 minutes ago, msx80 said:

Thanks :) you can set a custom background, but you have to manually change the config file located under: C:\Users\youruser\AppData\Roaming\blueprint.ini

just set:

page.background=c:\mypath\background.png

make sure it's the same size as your pages and make it transparent so that the substep colors are visible.

Thank you a lot for your advice.

I am having an issue with rendering larger models in the instructions.

I am wanting to make these workable as print media so I am doing 300dpi. That works out 3300px X 2550px for and 11x8.5 sheet. When I get to the last steps of a model, it starts to cut off.

You can see this here:
U0rlxv2.png

Here are my page settings:
xSHcO25.png

Also the page number in the xx/xx is off one from the box below it:
ykvq5aT.png

I'm using v0021 on Windows and it is working fine. Thanks for the great program. I have two feature requests:

1) Please oh please add keyboard shortcuts for the image rotation for individual steps. Also, I recommend that you remove the change model rotation from the context menu. If you accidentally change the model rotation, you mess with all of the rotations and it can take a while if you have a really big model. Generally, one would only need to do this once for any given model. But, back to the keyboard shortcuts: may I suggest WSAD? You may also have to more clearly indicate which step is currently selected. In fact, if we could select more than one step and rotate them all at one, that would be uber-cool!

2) When managing page layouts, it is possible to move a step to the next page. But there may not be room on that page. Can we have an option to add new, blank pages onto which we can move steps as required?

Again, thanks for this amazing software!

Skip

8 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Mine is working. What error are you getting?

Ok got it working now... Managed to find v21 in the posts. Then i pasted the v22 from the extracted dmg for mac and got it working now :)

Thanks anyway for the reply!

@MrGibbage

1) I agree with that suggestion, would be a lot easier to use short keys to rotate the model, instead of clicking it all the time... Sometimes i got the same problem to with the model rotation and got to wait a long time till i can undo it with the larger models :(

2) Agree with that one to :) Would be easier to add pages/steps that take more space then is available on the next page. 

Suggestions i have in mind (Probally already made)

1) Possible to add text/arrows into the page

2)  When inserting a new step, it should retain the rotation data from the step previous.

@msx80

Please take a look at the suggestions MrGibbage made, would made all of our lives so much easier. And my text above here :) Also thank you for this awesome program, a real life saver as lpub is to advanced for me hehe. (In the normal quote)

Edited by kokkie20
added extra stuff ;)

Hi there, i'll look into it! At least the rotation, i'm aware rotating with the menu entry is a pain.

What problem are you experiencing with version 22 ?

Thank you! Fixed the problem with v22 :) overrided a to old version for it to work. 

Thank you a lot for all your hard work on the program! 

1 hour ago, msx80 said:

Hi there, i'll look into it! At least the rotation, i'm aware rotating with the menu entry is a pain.

What problem are you experiencing with version 22 ?

I hadn't tried installing v0022 since I was in the middle of a project. I'll definitely take a look at it. By the way, I don't think you mentioned the new features/bug fixes in the changelog in the first post for v0022.

@kokkie20 I like your #2 suggestion as well. Almost every time when I "Add step after", I want the same rotation as before. Retaining that rotation would be great for new steps would be great :)

@msx80, even if you change nothing, this program rocks! Seriously great work here! :) Thanks!

Been asking the creator (msx89) of this masterpiece, but he doesnt seem to that active in the messaging center so trying here instead. This was my message;

"Been using your Blue Print software and I must say I'm impressed. I like it a lot! I'm a programmer myself and I write in C#. I was wondering if there's a possibility to use Blue Print with command line arguments. Like specifing a LDD file and where to output the generated PDF via the Command Prompt. Using it this way would open up many possibilities to integrate this tool into apps!

All the best
Gustav Lindvall from Sweden :)"

Hopefully I can get some answers here! Thx in advance!

19 hours ago, lindvalll said:

Been asking the creator (msx89) of this masterpiece, but he doesnt seem to that active in the messaging center so trying here instead. This was my message;

"Been using your Blue Print software and I must say I'm impressed. I like it a lot! I'm a programmer myself and I write in C#. I was wondering if there's a possibility to use Blue Print with command line arguments. Like specifing a LDD file and where to output the generated PDF via the Command Prompt. Using it this way would open up many possibilities to integrate this tool into apps!

All the best
Gustav Lindvall from Sweden :)"

Hopefully I can get some answers here! Thx in advance!

uhm i don't think it's feasible as a true command line program, it needs windows to start the opengl stuff etc.

On 16/2/2017 at 9:56 AM, kokkie20 said:

Thank you! Fixed the problem with v22 :) overrided a to old version for it to work. 

Thank you a lot for all your hard work on the program! 

uhm sounds like 22 misses some file that was present in 21, i'll look into it

I've hacked up version 0023, you can get it here

New stuff is:

• it's now impossible to delete last step of a submodel (should make it impossible to incour into the "ghost submodel" problem, even if not the most user friendly solution)
  • steps can now be selected by clicking on an image (CTRL+click to select multiple, no shift click sorry), this is necessary for...
  • selected model can be rotated by keyboard with WASD keys, all selected model will be rotated together.
  • new steps inherit the rotation of the "sibiling" step.

33 minutes ago, msx80 said:

uhm i don't think it's feasible as a true command line program, it needs windows to start the opengl stuff etc.

uhm sounds like 22 misses some file that was present in 21, i'll look into it

Was a mistake on my end, no worry! V22 works perfect!

4 minutes ago, msx80 said:

I've hacked up version 0023, you can get it here

New stuff is:

• it's now impossible to delete last step of a submodel (should make it impossible to incour into the "ghost submodel" problem, even if not the most user friendly solution)
  • steps can now be selected by clicking on an image (CTRL+click to select multiple, no shift click sorry), this is necessary for...
  • selected model can be rotated by keyboard with WASD keys, all selected model will be rotated together.
  • new steps inherit the rotation of the "sibiling" step.

And you my sir (At least i guess you are a sir haha) are a legend!!!

Thank you for this quick update, you are a real life saver and you should win a emmy for this program!

*Dances on top of his desk while screaming out loud*