Anio

[MOC] UCS A-Wing

I would love to do a green one to go with the current red one - but I suspect it would mean way too much spraying....tempted though...

15 minutes ago, NorvernRob said:

I built it too, fantastic model! (I now have an OT A-Wing pilot in the green uniform displayed too).

E098164E-B646-4FBB-8FB4-8F011953EE98_zps

Thanks for the pic and comments !

Note that you put the dark red wedge on top in the wrong way.

4 minutes ago, Anio said:

Thanks for the pic and comments !

Note that you put the dark red wedge on top in the wrong way.

Ah yes, I never noticed until you pointed it out! It's packed away in a box, I'll correct it the next time I take it out.

Can't wait to get started on this build.  I have ordered everything except for the following part: 

Part 61406 - "Plate 1 x 2 with Tooth and Flexible Tip"

I cannot find this part in white.  What color do you recommend getting this part in?  What is the best paint & method to use to get it the proper color?

In the latest parts list, are there still 19 parts were that are not the correct color?   Which other parts need to be painted?

I got mine in light bluish gray.

Slope 2x1 curved is now available in dark red.

8 minutes ago, Anio said:

I got mine in light bluish gray.

Slope 2x1 curved is now available in dark red.

Thanks for the fast reply, Anio!  What paint did you use to paint the pieces white?  Some sort of spray paint?

12 minutes ago, saxman717 said:

spray paint?

Yep.

5 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

I used white and dark red Plasti-kote spray paint in the satin finish - a few coats and it works a treat.

Which pieces needed painting (besides 61406)?  I don't see this indicated anywhere in the instructions --- I  ordered the parts list as-is on rebrickable.  Should I expect to paint anything besides 61406?

Yeah.

There are some parts you won't find in the right colors, cause they don't exist. Macaroni 4x4 dark red, big curved slopes white, wedge 3x10 dark red.

If the part doesn't exist, then it is painted. I guess it is less than 5 refs.

13 minutes ago, Anio said:

Yeah.

There are some parts you won't find in the right colors, cause they don't exist. Macaroni 4x4 dark red, big curved slopes white, wedge 3x10 dark red.

If the part doesn't exist, then it is painted. I guess it is less than 5 refs.

Thanks Anio!  I think I found most (hopefully all) of them.  Will order some dark red & white spray paint to have ready.  What did you use to paint your pieces?

Some car paint. Once the hue is ok, any type of spray paint is ok. Well, that's how I do...

I have have used the paint successfully even on rebuilds or when making changes - with the right number of coats & finish it should fit well with the other lego pieces and survive some use.  Understandably if your using a darker base colour to start with as your base piece it will take more coats to get right or do as I did and use an undercoat.  The dark red paint took less to finish. 

Old thread but I just finished my A-wing today, as designed by Anio. I just loved the build, really fun! 

I refuse to paint any parts so I switched colors that seemed to work with the color scheme over all. Pretty happy with the result, part from the LBG wedges behind the cockpit (that is painted red in Anios model). LBG there does not work very well. Those wedges come in rather limited color variations. However, I do have a plan! I think I want to build my way around it by using two additional longer dark red wedges (the very same that is used in the model!). This will extend the curve with two studs towards the cockpit, making the attach point for the vertical center curved slope/fin just behind the cockpit a problem. But I think I have an idea. That way, the whole area behind the cockpit can be dar k red without paint. I'll give it a try anyway, to see if it works out visually.

The pointy wedges used in front most on the sides that are painted white are not released in many colors and hard to replace. But those I got in LBG/DBG mix works good enough for me. The round macaroni parts I'll keep in DBG, works just fine. Actually, I used a LBG wheel too, instead of the red since it was too damn expensive. The other possible area where a solution using other parts can solve color issue is the back of the "wings" where those big megablocks slopes (two wide) are painted white. I used Dark Red and it works fine as it is. But if I do wanna go white, I think it is possible to get a rater ok curve using other parts. Not sure I will pursue this though, since the red really works good. Another replacement I did was to use another transparent color for engines since the blue was very expensive.

Nevertheless, amazing model and superb instructions too. Really, really impressive. And the model is huge! I love it. Great work Anio and big thanks for sharing/selling the instructions. 

/Jens

Oh. Brasso, dunno if we have it in sweden, but how does it affect the transparent part? I think I'm gonna take away the print but I hesitate.

Thank you for your feedback. ;)

I am glad you like my design. :)

1 hour ago, jemakrol said:

Jens

Oh. Brasso, dunno if we have it in sweden, but how does it affect the transparent part? I think I'm gonna take away the print but I hesitate.

Hi Jens,

Small amount of Brasso and a nice soft cloth works a treat.  Don't rub to hard and the paint comes off quite quickly.  It did not harm the transparent part - in fact it came out sparkling at the end, but that was me being careful to use a good quality soft cloth so as not to 'polish in' any grit/small particles which would mark the plastic.

I have a number of UCS sets and SW MOCs and Anio's A-wing remains my pride and joy!

Yeah Anio, the design is brilliant! So happy with my A-wing. Which is, or so it seems, in the same scale that the UCS Snowspeeder which I also have. That is rather cool! 

Not sure we have Brasso in Sweden but I am sure we have equivalent stuff. Just have to find out closest match. Tried Jif/vim/cif on a broken white torso. That worked fine actually but I wouldn't dare trying that on a transparent piece since. 

I'll get back with some pics of my build too! 

My first version, as proposed by Anio - but since I don't want to use paint, with replacement colors where the painted pieces would go. Most of them ok, but I was not happy with the LBG behind the cockpit.
RnpWQIR3DkkYbf2TCA2sTFls4twTd2fxN48c4pEd

I ordered two more of the 12 x 3 slopes in correct color, looks much better imho. Now comes the problem with the 'bump' behind the cockpit but that is rather easy to solve too. Looking at reference material that bump looks a little different on various pics so artistic freedom should be ok. But... I lack the pieces to do it, so I have to do another order for those (whenever that might be, I'll not order them alone but with future orders for other projects). In the meantime I will have the A-wing on display without the bump.

TloR1-q2CHN1O7X-hrm1bqEtoZ3jBirklSY2w2zT

A question: In the stickers intended for the plate, the fact sheet says "Manufacturer Incom Corporation" but I can only find fan sites that states that manufacturer is Kuat Systems Engineering. What source is it that says Incom? It really doesn't matter to me, I'm just curious, that's all.

I will also replace the white parts on the cannons with all LBG to get it a more consistent look (I was just to cheap to get the white ones that are expensive but it looks awful with alternating colors)

Edited by jemakrol

has anyone used nexo knights shield pieces to get a solid shape for the maintenaince hatches on the hull? Don't know if they are made in dark red put shouldn't be difficult to paint.

Hi, it's great moc, first which i will be building. I want to buy instruction but i have question regarding perts list. On Rebrickable there are listed 338 lots, when uploading it to Bricklink Wanted List 336 lots are uploading 2 which are missing are:

61406 but which color? https://www.bricklink.com/v2/search.page?q=61406*#T=A

pb03, pb02, pb04, pb01, pb05?

3245a it shouldn't be b insetad of a? https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3245b#T=S&O={"rpp":"500","iconly":0} 

On Bricklink there isn't any part with name 3245a.

I just need help which those two parts and i can buy instruction and start collecting bricks needed.

Thanks for help!

Hi LateralusArt

Welcome to the forum.

61406 needs to be painted/sprayed white - I went with the black pieces and used an undercoat before painting as its a single colour to avoid the risk of two tones showing through the white.

Anio's instructions state its 3245b.

Cheers

There are two very rare and expensive parts 2903 dark red and 44375a trans blue. Although 2903 can be ordered in white and painted in dark red, as other parts in set, but i have a problem with trans blue 44375a which isn't even available in my country and region, what other more popular replacement part would You recommend in place of 44375a?

Unless you want to change the color of the glow of the engines, there is no alternate to 44375a.

I hope someday TLG will release all the trans-light blue parts in trans-yellow, as the A-Wing is supposed to produce some kind of yellow light.

Very sweet!

U have some kind of bricklist I can enter on Bricklink, before buying the instructions?

How much do the bricks cost in total?

Thanks!!