Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Why did some sets have more than one name?

Back in the late 80's and early 90's Lego sets had different names depending on the region. I'm not sure if this trend exists today.

For example:

In nothern America set 6270 was called "Forbidden Island" while it was called "Shark Island" in the UK and Australia.

or

in nothern America set 6984 was called "Galactic Mediator" while it was called "Space Police Commander" in the UK and Australia.

or

in nothern America set 6081 was called "King's Mountain Fortress" while it was called "The Haunted Castle" in the UK and Australia.

Maybe they also had different names in differ languages as well, but since I don't know those languages I cannot comment.

Why did the same set have more than one name?

For marketing strategies I guess, those names may have a better appeal in the UK and Australia ;)

That would be the only logic solution, if not that would be weird ;)

Living in Australia the different names don't make the sets anymore appealling. Initially all they did were create confusion! For years I'd known these sets by their UK/Australian name, then as soon as I got on the internet everyone is using the US names. And I was like "What's going on here?"

Fortunately now I've adjusted and the confusion has passed.

OK, there are no marketing decisions, its just plain stupid ;)

There must have been some reason... Then again, maybe you're right!

you also have this phenomenon of different numbers, same sets, like the Galagy Explorer:497 US and 928 non-US

weird... *wacko*

you also have this phenomenon of different numbers, same sets, like the Galagy Explorer:497 US and 928 non-US

weird... *wacko*

I've noticed this with the older Castle sets like 375/6075 - perhaps the numbering system had changed when they put the set back on the market. So to be consistent it was renumbered. That my guess anyway.

And more recently with the Legends/re-releases although kind of makes as the packaging is different and they are in fact re-releases.

Its just the same with the first Harry Potter film and book. In the UK it was called 'Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone' but as the US didn't know what a Philosophers is, it was called 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' :| ;)

Jon.

Go figure :| , especially that in all those cases its not a question of very bad translation like its often the case ;)

I believe its a personal conspiracy The Lego Company has against me! They do all these things to intentionally annoy me. Its all about me! ME! ME MEEEEEEEE!!! They just love doing it too.

I know in Canada, Lego was distributed by Samsonite for a long

while.

That might have something to do with it... differing countries may have

had different "licensed" distributers with their own marketing agendas and

strategies.

Ben Medinets

Hmmmmm... Well Mr Mendenits, that does sound like the most logical explaination offered so far...

I know in Canada, Lego was distributed by Samsonite for a long

while.

That might have something to do with it... differing countries may have

had different "licensed" distributers with their own marketing agendas and

strategies.

Ben Medinets

true... but i don't think that gave them the right to change the integrity of the products. It probably was a decision taken by the local headquarters of TLC. they may have had the right to change some elements of the box, for marketing reasons... perhaps we will be able to ask some one of TLC on our tour in summer.