Sign in to follow this  
LunchboxEL

Build Upons! Light Up Bricks by Lunchbox Electronics

Hello Everyone!

16885116907_fe92de565d_m.jpgLunchbot by littlegreenfroggy, on Flickr

17091010422_11a73aec4f_m.jpgBacklunchbot by littlegreenfroggy, on Flickr

We are Lunchbox Electronics and we wanted to reach out to the amazing community of LEGO lovers everywhere! We have just launched a kickstarter to hopefully fund our dream into a reality. We are a small start up in Boulder, CO and have created Light Up bricks that will be compatible with LEGO sets! We wanted to get rid of all the pesky wires and make nice elegant bricks that will be able to pass power and ground to then light up our LED bricks!

We are trying to spread the word about our kickstarter as much as possible so we can turn prototype into production. Please check out the link to our kickstarter and if you feel inclined we would love it if you could back us!

I have attached a photo here of lunchbot our own personal (pretend) lunch vending machine! Complete with light up prototype bricks!

We hope for your support in our adventure. Thank you!!

Edited by Fugazi
link removed

Few questions and observations that I'd expect to be solved. First I didn't know about existing lighted bricks, so I'm taking this at face value

- That's a huge battery pack for a few LED's. You should be able to cut the battery needs down by <insert huge amount>

- That huge battery pack makes these bricks useless in the context of a complex lego build, e.g. I want my small 1977 police car to have working lights... (nee naww, nee naww) but how on earth is it going to give chase with that huge battery pack?

- With the wire wrapped around the bricks knobby bits, how are you stopping the wires from becoming unwound / coming off when connected / disconnected 1000 times

- Are these safe for children / what's the minimum age realistically?

- Who's the target audience? Adult brick builders? If so, you've just reduced your potential audience down to maybe 10%? Of the adult audience, I'd guess a good proportion are loyal to The Lego Group official Lego only.

- What can you build with them other than a few crappy houses? (cruel to be kind?) Where would you use them other than a house requiring lights? They have a very niche audience.

- And here's the kicker - if I'm to use non-official Lego bricks, why couldn't I / shouldn't I print off some bricks on a (maybe my) 3D printer and insert my own LED's? Thus removing the need for your project?

I'm not knocking your project, but I'm wondering is it a viable commercial product, is it sustainable, and could you develop your idea further?

Hi LunchboxEL, welcome to EB. Please check out our guidelines, we do not encourage members signing up only to promote their projects. Thanks for your understanding.