... I now have the 'Invisible Lift' in the works ...

That is definitely something I'll be looking forward to. Of all Akiyuki's contraptions, the 'invisible lift' has got to be one of the most complex. Others were more or less 'easily' reverse-engineered in a German forum (Doktor Brick).

Edited by DrJB

I will second that statement! Besides, you will need to build this as I now have the 'Invisible Lift' in the works as well as '6 Heads' and 'Lift Triggered By Stuck Ball'. Together I think they could make a complete mini circuit. Once I have them functional, more build instructions will be forthcoming and I'm pretty sure an amazingly detailed review by Blackbird will follow if they meet expectations.

TheRebricker

Nice. :classic:

I was considering to try to remake some of Akiyuki's other models in LDraw, but ultimately decided not to.

Simply because I have a few other projects going on already and I don't have an endless amount of free time :grin:

What an interesting reading! Thank you very much Blakbird for putting this up. It must have been a lot of work - huge contribution from you. I'm a big fan of Akiyuki's work and I dream of building some contraption myself - thanks to your study, I'm one step closer for sure. Thank you again!

Kristof

You have gotten yourself into a world of awesomeness. You won't regret it.

hah... I'm still an amatuer at GBC - although I did participate in a medium-sized layout at Melbourne's Brickvention in January!

I still have some ideas for a few original GBC modules - nothing of the scale of Akiyuki!

I'll most likely be building mine rainbow-style... although I think I have a fair chunk of the 'structure' parts in black.. so it might ultimately be that colour

RB

Edited by RohanBeckett

I already build that about a year ago but just manage to finish it a few weeks ago and put it in youtube too. Yes its very pleasing to reverse engineer the whole set.

http://youtu.be/VZLu1ibP3LY

I started to build gbc after I saw akiyuki video, and try to rebuild almost every gbc machine he build. My problem is I don’t have enough time to finish what I already started. And another problem is not enough brick.

This is my first attempt on 2013

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/11461332256_6bc51ce994_z_d.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3710/11191068143_0ca2ba7111_z_d.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5529/11190941254_1ec0329877_z_d.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5531/11190954616_c5fdc865fa_z_d.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7298/11430036253_e3ecb7bd52_z_d.jpg

Now after I see TheRebricker Video, I find a few things that I did wrong, Thanks for sharing.

Edited by fungcie

I've been fascinated by this model since the moment I saw Akiyuki's video. Thanks to TheRebricker for reverse-engineering it and to Blakbird for breaking it down and creating an LDraw version of it!

I've taken the liberty of re-building the machine as a LEGO DIGITAL DESIGNER FILE.

ball_machine_ldd.jpg

I'd say this version is 99% true to Blakbird's LDraw file. I've used that as a reference and for importing certain simple parts of the machine.

All the modules are structured in groups corresponding to Blakbird's review and TheRebricker's videos.

In the end I just couldn't get it fully connected - so if you look closely you'll see that there are four distinct positions where I had to move/change one or two pieces in order to "make it fit".

I'll use this a the starting point for an idea that's floating through my head - a sunken temple / GBC.

I hope someone finds this version useful but all credit goes to Akiyuki, TheRebricker and Blakbird.

I already build that about a year ago but just manage to finish it a few weeks ago and put it in youtube too. Yes its very pleasing to reverse engineer the whole set.

I can't see the video it is private.

Edited by Blakbird

Very well done. My youngest just caught the GBC bug and wants to try and build something. Your write up will help me explain to him visually what goes into the work.

going to try and build parts of version 1

Do you plan to take it to events?

I hope to get mine done before the next Brickvention (January) - along with a few more modules.

I've just started parting out my collection.. and I've now got a few containers brimming with Technic parts - fortunate to have 99% of them.

..Now, to start raiding the 'general build pile' for all the bricks and other parts.. and then decide how much I want to buy in dark-bluish grey, for the structure.

a quick scan on bricklink, and I might be up for around $100 worth, to obtain them all...

... and then decide how much I want to buy in dark-bluish grey ...

That's exactly my dilemma. I have more parts than I'll ever need ... but not in dark-bluish grey, especially the system bricks.

Maybe why?

I'm curious how well it holds up transporting to events, ease of setup and running non-stop all day. If it takes a lot of effort in maintaining it, then I won't build one.

I'll no doubt knock up a plywood box to transport mine anywhere.

I might end up building a lot of my structure out of black, and other shades of grey..

unless I can find a bricklink seller, who can sell me all the necessary parts I need in pink/purple for less than the cost of DBG... so it'll be FABULOUS!!! ;)

I would suspect that this will need more gbc sitting than most. There are so many gears and rods That need to stay put.

I am half way done building this beauty.

I really can't fault any of Akiyuki's creations, every video he posts is impressive

There's so much going on in the design of his creations, I find it hard to visualise how it would look mechanically, but the way you have broken up the parts into 'modules' definitely helps, I appreciate it.

Edited by Ambo100

I've been fascinated by this model since the moment I saw Akiyuki's video. Thanks to TheRebricker for reverse-engineering it and to Blakbird for breaking it down and creating an LDraw version of it!

I've taken the liberty of re-building the machine as a LEGO DIGITAL DESIGNER FILE.

ball_machine_ldd.jpg

I'd say this version is 99% true to Blakbird's LDraw file. I've used that as a reference and for importing certain simple parts of the machine.

All the modules are structured in groups corresponding to Blakbird's review and TheRebricker's videos.

In the end I just couldn't get it fully connected - so if you look closely you'll see that there are four distinct positions where I had to move/change one or two pieces in order to "make it fit".

I'll use this a the starting point for an idea that's floating through my head - a sunken temple / GBC.

I hope someone finds this version useful but all credit goes to Akiyuki, TheRebricker and Blakbird.

Thank you, together with Balkbird's Ldraw, your LDD is a commendable effort. One now has NO excuse for not building this masterpiece.

I'll no doubt knock up a plywood box to transport mine anywhere.

I might end up building a lot of my structure out of black, and other shades of grey..

unless I can find a bricklink seller, who can sell me all the necessary parts I need in pink/purple for less than the cost of DBG... so it'll be FABULOUS!!! ;)

If you're building this in girl's colors, I would definitely love to see pics once you're done.

I really can't fault any of Akiyuki's creations, every video he posts is impressive

There's so much going on in the design of his creations, I find it hard to visualise how it would look mechanically, but the way you have broken up the parts into 'modules' definitely helps, I appreciate it.

+1

What I like most about Blakbird's 'version' of the story is that he broke it up into two sets of parts moving: the balls AND the buckets. You could spend hours watching them go round and round, and never 'catch' that detail. Looks like Blakbird's skills go beyond povray/renders. Story telling is sure right up there.

Thanks for sharing these instructions. I did not know the work of this talented builder until I saw your version. This model represents a lot of work from both of you.

I am thinking about modifying it to make it more technic since those are the kind of pieces that I have. If I succeed, I’ll make a post –I’m guessing that’s gonna take a los of weeks.

My budget is a bit limited at the moment to buy the 'structure' in DBG.. (even using advanced bricklink searching - Brickficiency - it worked out to be over AUD$200 in brick-parts) so I think I might start building it... and maybe each section will be a different colour, to keep the costs down, will retaining some semblance of 'neatness' - as much as I'm happy to make rainbow-warrior constructions.. if I hope to display it, I'd like it a bit nicer! :)

I've downloaded off youtube all the construction videos from the Rebricker, and skimmed through a few.. they look pretty good for building - very easy to follow, and a LOT of hints on fine-tuning it!

Might have to throw him a donation or something, as thanks!

On another note - I'm also going to try reverse engineering Akiyuki's tilted rotors... 99% certain I have all those parts, and it's got a lot less system bricks. And the video (and the module itself) seems quite simple to build

RB

Edited by RohanBeckett