Sign in to follow this  
ZeekyBoogeyDoog

[MOC] HMS Repulse

thindexedgif.gif 36b

I finished my biggest MOC yet, and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. First, thanks to everyone who posted in the Endeavour thread; I really appreciated the helpful and friendly advice and feedback, which has significantly improved my previous version of this ship. Also, thanks to Mosana for the navy torsos.

Ive written a little backstory for this MOC as well:

The commodore of the Imperial Guards' West Indies fleet is tired of being stymied by pirates with bigger ships and swiveling guns. The brigands have become so bold as to decorate their sails with stripes and big skulls and crossbones. Finally, his request for aid has been acknowledged. The infernal navy bureaucracy has at last decided the colonies warrant the presence of a 52 gun man o war. Of course, in Imperial Guard tradition, due to the incompetency of naval echelons the ship has arrived with only 4 cannons on board.

hms_repulse.jpg

broaadside.jpg

bow.jpg

stern.jpg

view_from_bow.jpg

Gallery

Whoaah hello beauty!

Though, I think It could be longer and wider, this is a beautiful ship!

I especially like this view:

broaadside.jpg

And about the 4 gun's issue, well, the ship with closed gunports will scare away pirates! :-D

If you build another ship exactly as this ship (because it would be a pity to destroy this one), but then as a frigate with only one gun deck (with a little more distance between the guns), it would be one of the most beautiful and accurate LEGO ships I've ever seen!

Just a little nit-pick, I think the headrails could use some work. ;-) maybe this can help you:

voorschot.jpg

Mr Tiber

Edited by Mr Tiber

Thanks all!

Whoaah hello beauty!

Though, I think It could be longer and wider, this is a beautiful ship!

I especially like this view:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZeekeyBo.../broaadside.jpg

Thanks, that's my favorite view as well. It reminds me of a photograph of the Victory. It definitely needs to be wider, the deck space is crazy narrow.
If you build another ship exactly as this ship (because it would be a pity to destroy this one), but then as a frigate with only one gun deck (with a little more distance between the guns), it would be one of the most beautiful and accurate LEGO ships I've ever seen!
When building this, I indeed considered stopping at one deck; I plan to make a more or less identical one decked ship some day.
Just a little nit-pick, I think the headrails could use some work. ;-) maybe this can help you:

voorschot.jpg

Mr Tiber

When I get enough of those cone pieces ;-)

When building this, I indeed considered stopping at one deck; I plan to make a more or less identical one decked ship some day.

Great! Let's hope that day comes soon!

When I get enough of those cone pieces ;-)

Cones??

I was actually refering to this:

voorschot_highlighted.png

Don't see any cones in that part! :-P Or are you going for cone-made headrails?

Anyway, I think it would make it a bit more realistic:

victory.jpg

Great! Let's hope that day comes soon!

Cones??

I was actually refering to this:

voorschot_highlighted.png

Don't see any cones in that part! :-P Or are you going for cone-made headrails?

Anyway, I think it would make it a bit more realistic:

victory.jpg

Oops!! :-$

Shows what I know about ships ;-) But I will definitely add that effect. I think I'll add two gun ports in the bow as well.

This is a very impressive ship, Mr. Doog! The life boats and the ladders spanning the height of the decks on both sides there are wonderful touches, but they seem to be positioned in the line of fire, are they not? :-P Also, The jibs and the spanker sail are a little small in size compared to the massive sprit sail and square rig arrangement. The size is great (that's a lot of yellow slopes...), and it definitely resembles the HMS Victory -

caracciolo3.jpg

The oldest naval vessel still in commission. :'-)

Very nicely done indeed! I think I recognize the technique for attaching the Jibs! And black statues on the back are always a fav. or mine!

This is a nice ship, I shall make alliances with you should we cross on the high seas!

As Tiber said, some more space between the guns would be nice, and it is a little short for three masts, but you have to work with what you have for hulls I suppose!

Anyway, I like this a lot. It is a excellent!

Edited by ZCerberus

A very impressive ship with neat masts and rigging and a real classic color scheme. *y*

Flower ornaments on! *sweet*

Let me start by saying this is an incredible ship. Very well build and beautiful.

Certainly one of the better ones I've seen. I like the colors, sails, height of the masts, ....

What would I have done differently? Maybe make it a bit wider (because it's rather high). And when you look at the ship from above, it looks a bit rectangular... if you know what I mean. Maybe you could try to do something about that. But these are just remarks, this is a beauty as it is now. Does it have an inside? Is it made so that it can be opened?

Well, you have made a very good ship :capn: . The color scheme is all very nice and the shape is unique.

I like how the sails are.

Awsome.

This is a very impressive ship, Mr. Doog! The life boats and the ladders spanning the height of the decks on both sides there are wonderful touches, but they seem to be positioned in the line of fire, are they not? :-P
Thanks! The lifeboat is actually out of the line of fire I think, but I agree the ladders are. I think I can get the ladders out of the way by increasing the distance between cannons by one stud, but I don't have enough slopes right now to do this.
Also, The jibs and the spanker sail are a little small in size compared to the massive sprit sail and square rig arrangement. The size is great (that's a lot of yellow slopes...), and it definitely resembles the HMS Victory -

The oldest naval vessel still in commission.:'-)

I got lazy, and so traced the Imperial Flagship's spanker and jib sails ;-)

I used the Victory as model for this in fact. I plan to someday reduce the the number of square sails or make them the right size in relation to each other.

Very nicely done indeed! I think I recognize the technique for attaching the Jibs! And black statues on the back are always a fav. or mine!

This is a nice ship, I shall make alliances with you should we cross on the high seas!

It seems pirates are going to have a hard time around here ;-) Imperials rule!!
As Tiber said, some more space between the guns would be nice, and it is a little short for three masts, but you have to work with what you have for hulls I suppose!

Anyway, I like this a lot. It is a excellent!

Thanks you!
I agree with Mr Tiber; the foc'sle needs more detail. Other than that I love it!
Thanks! I also plan to raise the bow upwards a bit.
A very impressive ship with neat masts and rigging and a real classic color scheme. *y*

Flower ornaments on! *sweet*

Thanks! Yay for flower ornaments!
That's awesome. X-O Wish I could build something like that. :(
Thank you!
What a lovely ship! *y*

I think it

I got lazy, and so traced the Imperial Flagship's spanker and jib sails ;-)

You know, if you want more lazy (i mean efficient ;-) ) ways to make your sails, check out the Tutorial for Making Sails. *y*

Also your "Endeavor V 2.0" :-D has been added to the index of MOC Ships :)

I really like how this ship has very clean lines and not jagged or blocky.

Something kind of difficult to do on a Lego ship X-D

My only concern for this ship is that it seems too big or tall to be using stand hull bricks.

If you do decide to build another version of an Endeavor or Victory style ship,

i'd try to make it brick built so there isn't a limitation on width.

P

You know, if you want more lazy (i mean efficient ;-) ) ways to make your sails, check out the Tutorial for Making Sails. *y*
Thanks! When I figure out the proper size of the square sails for a Victory style ship I make all of the sails in cloth this way.
Also your "Endeavor V 2.0" :-D has been added to the index of MOC Ships :)
Yay! Thank you!
I really like how this ship has very clean lines and not jagged or blocky.

Something kind of difficult to do on a Lego ship X-D

My only concern for this ship is that it seems too big or tall to be using stand hull bricks.

If you do decide to build another version of an Endeavor or Victory style ship,

i'd try to make it brick built so there isn't a limitation on width.

P

Thanks! I'd definitely try brick built hulls for a future ship; in addition to dimensional benefits it seems hull pieces are getting crazy expensive :(

Oh noes, I double posted ;-)

I took some pictures of the new headrails and the cannons. I also raised the bow a bit for historical accuracy.

better_bow.jpg

cannons.jpg

swivel_gun.jpg

And for fun here are pictures of the ship getting attacked by islanders >8-) I haven't bothered to re-attach the sprit sail though, oh well...

ship_attack.jpg

aerial_view_of_deck.jpg

Another link to the gallery

Aaah, triple post!

I've made more changes to the ship. I lowered the mizzenmast and reduced the number of sails on the fore and main mast to 3, although I haven't made all the sails yet. I also raised the deck of the stern and altered the placement of the lifeboats. I also made small changes to the stern. I want to replace the black statues with yellow ones at some point as well, I think the stern was too monochromatic before.

lifeboats.jpg

deck.jpg

I also intend to add more cannons to the upper deck.

masts.jpg

a_battle.jpg

A picture of HMS Repulse engaged in heated battle with the Barracuda. The standard cannons will be replaced with brick built ones.

overall.jpg

And lastly a blurry picture of the ship right now.

Edit: Added more pictures.

Edited by ZeekyBoogeyDoog

Looking good! Although that mizzen sail seems a little small compared to the length of the masts.

If you don't know how the sails are called, this website might come handy. I think it goes for most of the ships..

Mr Tiber

Edited by phred

Thanks! I'm often confused by nautical terminology, so this should help. I'm still working on the sail sizes, so this should be useful in that endeavour as well. I'm not happy with how rectangular the stern is, though.

Thanks! I'm often confused by nautical terminology, so this should help. I'm still working on the sail sizes, so this should be useful in that endeavour as well. I'm not happy with how rectangular the stern is, though.

I had a similar experience with the "spanker" sail on the New Covenant. Click the thumbs to see the difference!!

old2.jpg_thumb.jpg aacovenant3.jpg_thumb.jpg

I'm sure you will get it ironed out!

Your ship is looking better and better!

Really, those changes you are doing improve it a lot.

I even think we should headline it on www.classic-pirates.com once it is finished.

Edited by Bonaparte