2 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Wow! Really nice microfighters :classic:

Yes, I think so !
And verry funny scene. :classic:

3 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Great Photoshop (or did you photograph that out in the snow :tongue:)

:vader: We will crush the Rebellion!

Thanks, no Photoshop, I was on hoth to take pictures,  I was a hidden rebel. :laugh:

7 hours ago, Cyh Naan said:

Thanks, no Photoshop, I was on hoth to take pictures,  I was a hidden rebel. :laugh:

Ahh ok I see. Takes some devotion to do that! :tongue:

Testing out a new light box set up and a new  spot light. So far it is OK but I need to reformat the backing on the light box. 

32946470546_0aec08d899.jpgP2192817 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

32606005350_63d600b01e.jpgP2192783 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

32987552095_454af00f48.jpgP2192814 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

32946479506_03c76dc226.jpgP2192813 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

32606044560_c60af9676a.jpgP2192845 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

32862460031_2fece714f2.jpgP2192837 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

32832859572_93111e9689.jpgP2192843 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

32606034870_4594c5a555.jpgP2192835 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

21 hours ago, Japanbuilder said:

Testing out a new light box set up and a new  spot light. So far it is OK but I need to reformat the backing on the light box. 

Not bad, but the light seems a bit harsh (for my taste at least :) are you using any sort of light diffuser?

4 hours ago, brobert said:

Not bad, but the light seems a bit harsh (for my taste at least :) are you using any sort of light diffuser?

Agreed.  And it looks like you are using a single light.  Try to use two, and don't shine them directly without a diffuser.  Bounce the light off something else.  It will help reduce the glare and harsh shadows.

You are on the right track!

I have a rather small, but  pretty well designed lighbox, it's called Foldio. It's not too big, but because of this easy to transport, (as the name suggests, it folds up neatly) comes with 3 backdrops, and uses built-in LED-stripes, which functions really well.

The newer version is even bigger, and has built-in diffusers for the LED-strips. It's around 100 bucks, I guess you can make it cheaper at home, but if you want versatility, this is a pretty good option. My previous photos here were also shot in it.

14 hours ago, brobert said:

None so far. I had not considered it when making this set up but I will look into it now =)

9 hours ago, kibosh said:

Agreed.  And it looks like you are using a single light.  Try to use two, and don't shine them directly without a diffuser.  Bounce the light off something else.  It will help reduce the glare and harsh shadows.

You are on the right track!

Yes, single light at the moment. I was experimenting. I had not considered the diffuser before it was mentioned but I will look into it. The lighting struck me as too strong too so I tried to angle the light in various ways across all these shots. Now that you mentioned a second one helps I will totally get one. 

The set up I have is very very small and rough. The box is a plain old cardboard with some blue matte like paper as backing. The Light is a 5 LED desk lamp but the bulbs just point right at stuff and it is hard to angle it correctly but yes the diffuser will help as soon as I can get around to making one I shall post again =) 

Thanks for the tips guys!

9 hours ago, brobert said:

I have a rather small, but  pretty well designed lighbox, it's called Foldio. It's not too big, but because of this easy to transport, (as the name suggests, it folds up neatly) comes with 3 backdrops, and uses built-in LED-stripes, which functions really well.

The newer version is even bigger, and has built-in diffusers for the LED-strips. It's around 100 bucks, I guess you can make it cheaper at home, but if you want versatility, this is a pretty good option. My previous photos here were also shot in it.

Thank you for the suggestion I have marked the vendor page in case the home made options I am attempting don't work well enough for presentable shots in the long run. 

7 hours ago, Japanbuilder said:

None so far. I had not considered it when making this set up but I will look into it now =)

Yes, single light at the moment. I was experimenting. I had not considered the diffuser before it was mentioned but I will look into it. The lighting struck me as too strong too so I tried to angle the light in various ways across all these shots. Now that you mentioned a second one helps I will totally get one. 

The set up I have is very very small and rough. The box is a plain old cardboard with some blue matte like paper as backing. The Light is a 5 LED desk lamp but the bulbs just point right at stuff and it is hard to angle it correctly but yes the diffuser will help as soon as I can get around to making one I shall post again =) 

Thanks for the tips guys!

Thank you for the suggestion I have marked the vendor page in case the home made options I am attempting don't work well enough for presentable shots in the long run. 

While at the topic, if you do it yourself, a simple piece of paper from the thinner kind will work just fine as an ad hoc diffuser, you can experiment with different kinds, but it's definitely worth it for the more even lighting, and more realistic shadows even with one lightbulb :)

5 hours ago, brobert said:

While at the topic, if you do it yourself, a simple piece of paper from the thinner kind will work just fine as an ad hoc diffuser, you can experiment with different kinds, but it's definitely worth it for the more even lighting, and more realistic shadows even with one lightbulb :)

Yes, I think my first experiment will be with kitchen paper, mostly because I worry about heat. If that does not work as I expect I may just try traditional lantern paper and see if that produces a good even light throughout. The only downside to that is, it is not as heat resistant. 

54 minutes ago, Japanbuilder said:

Yes, I think my first experiment will be with kitchen paper, mostly because I worry about heat. If that does not work as I expect I may just try traditional lantern paper and see if that produces a good even light throughout. The only downside to that is, it is not as heat resistant. 

Aren't lanters supposed to generate heat? But anyway you don't necessarily have to put it right before the light source, in fact, it's best if there's a good distance between then, and then you don't have to worry about heat. Most professional light diffusers are also rather like a tent on the lights, with varying distance to it, so the light diffuses more evenly (a.k.a. softboxes). Especially if you're using one lightbulb with few LED-s, like you said you do, a bigger distance is better. For the material, a simple white cloth can do the trick as well, but you can get diffusers for basically buttons on aliexpress or ebay.

Edited by brobert

16 hours ago, brobert said:

Aren't lanters supposed to generate heat? But anyway you don't necessarily have to put it right before the light source, in fact, it's best if there's a good distance between then, and then you don't have to worry about heat. Most professional light diffusers are also rather like a tent on the lights, with varying distance to it, so the light diffuses more evenly (a.k.a. softboxes). Especially if you're using one lightbulb with few LED-s, like you said you do, a bigger distance is better. For the material, a simple white cloth can do the trick as well, but you can get diffusers for basically buttons on aliexpress or ebay.

Yes, I figured as much =) I am working on using a cheap picture frame to hold the material up between my subjects and the light. 

*edit* 

Made adjustments to my lightbox, added cooking paper to cover the holes I had on it and affixed my lone light top center. These are some of my results so far. I had a few others but I was in a awkward area and my camera captured shaking but it has been noted for next time (get your camera into a stable platform when on a tripod). The focus seems softer somehow, but maybe my eye was getting used to sharp contrast of my earlier shots. 

32664570450_54f54317ea.jpgP2222658 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

32664570640_1feb322f35.jpgP2222655 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

Edited by Japanbuilder

10 hours ago, Japanbuilder said:

Yes, I figured as much =) I am working on using a cheap picture frame to hold the material up between my subjects and the light. 

*edit* 

Made adjustments to my lightbox, added cooking paper to cover the holes I had on it and affixed my lone light top center. These are some of my results so far. I had a few others but I was in a awkward area and my camera captured shaking but it has been noted for next time (get your camera into a stable platform when on a tripod). The focus seems softer somehow, but maybe my eye was getting used to sharp contrast of my earlier shots. 

Well it's hard to see correctly in this resolution, and on Flickr it seems you've set the photos on private...

But the light is definitely more even now, all in all I'd say great results.

THe contrast does seem to be a bit low, but nothing a little editing coudln't fix :classic:

5 minutes ago, brobert said:

Well it's hard to see correctly in this resolution, and on Flickr it seems you've set the photos on private...

But the light is definitely more even now, all in all I'd say great results.

THe contrast does seem to be a bit low, but nothing a little editing coudln't fix :classic:

Thanks I set some of these to public =) Hopefully the bigger resolution makes a difference. 

I tried a few more at iso 200 to see if that changed anything. The previous ones were iso 80. 

32893385162_bd2275e16a.jpgP2222687 by Macster Tome, on Flickr

33049415815_2edb0d3b8a.jpgP2222729 by Macster Tome, on Flickr