Lt. de Martinet

Reverse Engineering Contest IV!

Simon told me to post it here, so here it is :)

I'm hosting a competition over on Flickr. Each week, I will post a tablescrap, and anyone who wants to participate has to try to figure out how it's built!

16868649882_787398f6a5.jpg

Here are the rules:

Weekly challenge

Each week I will post a challenge on Monday to my flickr page (and also this thread, I think!). This picture will be of a tablescrap-esque item with hidden innards. Your challenge each week you choose to participate will be to figure out how it's built, and privately show or explain to me your solution. The catches:

• There may be -- and often will be -- more than one correct solution. As long as you achieve the same result, it's acceptable. "The same result" will be defined by me, together with the challenge's submitter.

• I may put part limitations for the solution (e.g., "no headlight bricks").

• Digital builds ARE allowed, but they must be images (e.g. jpeg), not LDD or LDRAW files.

Participants

Anyone may join in at any time, regardless of whether you have played in previous rounds. No need to register or anything, just start building :)

The easiest way to share your solution with me is by uploading it to Flickr (marked private) and adding me to the photo, but you can also message it to me, or send me a link to a site that no one is likely to find your solution (photobucket? majhost?).

Follow-up

If you got the right solution for the weekly challenge, I will send you a follow-up. Solving this will earn you another point.

For the right solution, you'll get 1 point. I will keep track of these on the scoreboard.

Everyone who submitted a build before the challenge started will get two points (regardless of how many were submitted/accepted), plus of course the standard points for "solving" their own challenge the week it runs.

Amount of time

I will post each new challenge on Monday morning (hopefully early MT). You will have from then until the next Sunday is over. Time zone is MT (Mountain Time), which is 6 hours behind GMT.

The follow-up challenge ends (at least for full points) at the same time (Sunday at midnight), so the faster you solve the weekly build the more time you will have to solve the follow-up.

NEW RULE

Follow-up challenges will be posted publicly along with the next week's first challenge. This gives people who were stuck on the first challenge a chance to try the follow-up. Solving the previous week's follow-up will only earn you 1/2 point, though, so try to solve them in their own week!

After two weeks, no points are awarded for the follow-up.

Posting the solutions

As long as the weekly challenge is ongoing, every solution must be kept private. You can post your solution to the group once the next challenge has started. Due to the new rule, please wait another week before revealing your solution to the follow-up!

Anyone who posts their solution early will lose 2 points!

Prizes

First Place:

Set 21301 Birds, thanks to Beyond The Brick!

PLUS a nice assortment of useful/rare/interesting parts from me

Second Place:

A new set in the $15 range (TBD), PLUS a small assortment of parts!

Third Place:

A small surprise polybag set :)

Edited by Lt. de Martinet

-------------------------------------------------------------

Week 1:

16904831285_27f98ec14e_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...et/16904831285/

Here we go!

Sandro's box kicks off our challenge.

Part restrictions:

• Color is irrelevant

• No Travis bricks!

• Sides may be substituted with 1x4 plates or tiles.

• Top and bottom may be substituted with 2x4 plates.

If you figure out how it's built, then privately show it to me, and you can start solving the follow-up challenge for this week. Each challenge this week will earn you one point! Scores are kept on the scoreboard.

GO GO GO