Hinckley

Town MOC inspiration thread

If you want to move, now is the time, the building is for sale :-P .

If *yoda* keeps posting pictures of his home town I may have to! :'-)

Just wait till I get your sigfig and I'll get medieval on your a*s >:-)

Oh right, I forgot you fight dirty...

Me ?? Not at all, I just love that evil quote >:-)

Ving Rhames On !!

*yoda*

Your current avatar intrigues me...

Oh!!!! I get it now. (one day later)

I'm supposed to post pics I take of Chicago to compare and even better the Paris pics.

*sweet* meesa so smarut!

I'll get right on that.

So after, Yoda, it's my turn to share with you some pics.

For the fisrt wave, there are pics from Clermont-Ferrand (which is the historical town of the big tire manufacturer Michelin), the city where I have made studies during 3 years.

Fisrt, some pics of Monferrand, the medieval part of the city:

clermont08.jpg

clermont09.jpg

clermont10.jpg

They used a lot of volcano stones, which give the building a very dark aspect like here:

clermont11.jpg

And the black cathedral (which is darker in real than in this pic)

clermont04.jpg

Here are pics from more original constructions:

clermont01.jpg

clermont02.jpg

clermont07.jpg

Here, it's from a town near Clermont-Ferrand, Royat, which is a thermal city. Some times ago, the rich Parisians came here to look after their rumatisms. So, for them, the architects built more parisian style houses...

clermont13.jpg

clermont14.jpg

clermont15.jpg

Here more modern style construction:

clermont03.jpg

clermont05.jpg

It's a retro-style building here, I find it nice:

clermont16.jpg

And here, a really modern building, it's the new Art school, under construction, with it's boat feeling made in copper (which will become green in few years):

clermont06.jpg

Here, just a pic from a nice outodoormetal straicase. Nothing spectial, but I like it:

clermont17.jpg

And because Clermont-Ferrand is a land of volcanos, here you can see in the middle, the voclano which is used for the brand Volvic (a brand of water). It's not as green as like on the bottle, because the pic wasn't taken during the spring...:

clermont12.jpg

And finally a view on the Puy de D

I haven't taken pictures of downtown Chicago yet but in the meantime, here are pics from Miami. The first set is a special gift to my buddy Sinner-Container Cranes and Ships!:

miami001.jpg

miami002.jpg

miami003.jpg

miami004.jpg

miami005.jpg

miami006.jpg

miami007.jpg

And for villa fans, here are a few multi-million dollar homes on the ocean for inspiration:

miami008.jpg

miami009.jpg

miami010.jpg

Thanks Hinckley. *wub* I am planning on remodeling my dock crane so it looks like the more common container crane so those photos will come in handy. Here are a few pictures that I took around Sydney.

1481742368_d249e092fd_o.jpg

Garden Island dry dock in double dock configuration.

1481740842_63f3b41fd3_o.jpg

This used to be a wharf, now it is luxury apartments! I love the apartment tower in the background.

1480880703_ede4eeda97_o.jpg

Hammerhead crane at Garden Island.

1481737902_9eea7c14da_o.jpg

Historic convict built stairs!

1480877235_894d905b70_o.jpg

The fountain is generally surrounded by newly weds having their photos taken. :-|

1481733888_7788c186bf_o.jpg

Same park, war memorial in the background. I love taking photos like this. I have several photos very similar to this one. :-$

1481731826_4d7c76ace8_o.jpg

The coat hanger being compared to duplo. You want to see a picture of the bridge? I'll try and find one that I didn't trash. :-P

1481730520_a8052ccddb_o.jpg

More convict built stairs.

1481726798_0acc6d357e_o.jpg

Even more convict built stairs!

1480870037_fe57536010_o.jpg

This was some lucky guys backyard in the middle of Sydney. I always find it stunning how some patches of land like this manage to escape concrete!

1480865951_4fd175b1f9_o.jpg

In contrast, this highlights how valuable land is getting in Sydney!

1480864699_fe60f8f2c2_o.jpg

Scary. For a while there was concern that the rocks were going to collapse...

1480863113_1ee10e9250_o.jpg

Centerpoint tower (background) and Grace Brothers building. This was taken during the Sydney Olympics, hence the silly sporting figure on the tower.

1481720676_bbe13a4aa4_o.jpg

I've seen a lot of art, but this one I just don't get.... *wacko*

I'll post some more soonish...

Thanks Sinner! Those are awesome shots! I love the crane, of course! *wub*

As far as the art goes, what's to understand? One match was burnt and the other one wasn't...clear enough. :-P Have you ever seen the huge spoon and cherry in Minneapolis?

Anyway, here is an awesome little rural train station in Galena, KS:

station01.jpg

Nice new pics!

It's far away from what I can see in my town! :-D

I will post some pics sooner...

Here are some more Chicago pics:

The Chicago Theatre:

post-486-1193190684_thumb.jpg

The Rookery:

post-486-1193190733_thumb.jpg

post-486-1193190820.jpg

From Ireland:

Deacon Brodie's Tavern:

post-486-1193190874.jpg

Here are some from Salt Lake City...there's not a whole lot here, but I like it anyway.

The Boston Building--built in the 1920s, now an architectural firm lives there.

bostonbldg.jpg

The Beehive House--I think Brigham Young used to live there.

beehivehouse.jpg

Cathedral of the Madeleine

cath1.jpg

cath2.jpg

The City/County Building--probably my favorite building in Salt Lake City

citycounty1.jpg

citycounty2.gif

citycounty3.jpg

The Eagle Gate...I like bizarre little touches like this in cities. They tore down the original when they widened the streets for automobile traffic, and the new version isn't as impressive as the original.

eaglegate1.jpg

eaglegate2.jpg

The former Hotel Utah...I like the weird little Greek temple on top.

jsmb.jpg

The Kearns Building--I worked across from this building for seven years, and always loved it. I like the little brownstone just to the right too...we don't have many of those in Salt Lake.

kearns.jpg

The new City Library--it's about five years old, and is my favorite modern building in the city.

lib3.jpg

lib2.jpg

library1.jpg

The Mormon Tabernacle on Temple Square

tab1.jpg

The Mormon Temple

sltemp.jpg

temple.jpg

temple2.jpg

And finally, the Walker Building. They just reinstalled that sign on top of the tower, after being gone for something like 40 years. I really like the details on this building.

walkertower.jpg

I really like art nouveau in which case I love in the perfect community as there's a world famous boulevard in my community, the Kogels Osylei, where almost every house is built in that style. Houses by amongst others Victor Horta. I'm not sure if anybody here's is familiar withat boulevard though :-P

anyway, I thinkit'd be awesome to have some lego sets of art nouveay buildings and art deco as well of course.

They combine steel with glass and wood perfectly. :-$

Riga%20Art%20Nouveau.jpg

Victor Horta's style architecture

HortaELWI.jpg

This is a dome of the Grand Palais in Paris.:-)

post-486-1193844947_thumb.jpg

and of course Art Deco which isn't as spectacular but looks nice anyway.

Chrysler_building-_top.jpg

I think art nouveau theme would be awesome ,the could do a cafe corner style apartment building would be cool the n TLC could do metro stations , new sand and more the possibles are endless.

Edited by Loco de Lego

So it's time for me to post pics of my city, Nancy.

First, some pics of the Place Stanislas, one of the more beautiful place of France and of Europe (it's not me who say that, it's a well known place by people who are interested in architecture). For information, the place has been remake 2 years ago in its original style (because it had became a parc car...)

nancy03.jpg

nancy04.jpg

nancy05.jpg

And after that, some pics of some nice houses that you can find if you take the time to raise your head. People who like art nouveau will be happy, this mouvement was very develloped in Nancy. In fact, a lot of artists came here when the Alsace-Lorraine (the departement Moselle of the Lorraine to be more accurate) was annexed by Dutchland.

nancy01.jpg

nancy06.jpg

nancy07.jpg

nancy08.jpg

nancy09.jpg

nancy10.jpg

nancy11.jpg

nancy12.jpg

nancy13.jpg

nancy14.jpg

nancy15.jpg

nancy16.jpg

nancy17.jpg

nancy18.jpg

nancy20.jpg

nancy21.jpg

nancy19.jpg

This last building is one of my favourite *wub* (maybe because of the Harry Potter Hogwart feeling...)

Thanks everyone who's been posting! These are really inspiring pics. Alex, this last set is particularly awesome!

Thanks Alex for the really cool photos I can not wait to start using these photos for mocs . I also have a idea for a contest about the different forms of architecture like putting it in to categories such as High-tech architecture, Victorian architecture,Art Nouveau architecture ,Neoclassical architecture and a few other main forms of architecture.

Nice that you like my pics!

Another small story : when I was at school, preparing my entry to a school of engineer, I realised that if I had to go away for my studies, in another town far from home, I didn't know my own city! In fact, you never really take the time to discover your environnement, walking down the street, looking at houses...

So, with a friend, we decided to play Japanese, with our cameras (what a clich

I also have a idea for a contest about the different forms of architecture like putting it in to categories such as High-tech architecture, Victorian architecture,Art Nouveau architecture ,Neoclassical architecture and a few other main forms of architecture.

I'm ready for this contest! Art Nouveau is mine: I've build a house in this style this afternoon. And I have to say that I'm very happy with it, the result is great for a firts try! It's the first time that I have this feeling of having done a nice building in one time, and not making multi-versions...

Well I am still working on the format of the contest then when thats down I will post it in the contest thread.Also I can not wait to see your building Alex54 .

Edited by Loco de Lego