Hinckley

Town MOC inspiration thread

Hey everybody,

A while back Alex54 ( :-) ) and I talked about starting a thread here where we can post cool city buildings that could be used as inspiration for modular building. So here it is. Post pics here for cool modular buildings or any sort of city building or vehicle.

Thanks! I hope this thread inspires a lot of building and MOCs.

If a nice mod or admin stumbles upon this thread and deems it worthy, could it be pinned? *sweet* Thanks in advance :-$

Here are some pics that I am trying to build from currently:

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

Post pics that you think would make great LEGO MOCs... :-)

Great thread idea, Hinckley ;-) I can always count on you! :-D

I'm trying to build one of these babies:

towerladder57.jpg

Sorry for the big pic! :-$

Here's the plan:

Link

Here's the plan:

Link

May I suggest converting your pictures to something else than BMP before posting them online? (BMP is not compressed at all, which makes the files big). For drawings like that PNG is suitable.

May I suggest converting your pictures to something else than BMP before posting them online? (BMP is not compressed at all, which makes the files big). For drawings like that PNG is suitable.

I know .bmp is very big and that .png is better, but at the moment my laptop is at repair, and this old "tractor" of a PC don't support PNG's. :-$ I'll do it later. ;-)

It probably won't be very inspirational to most, but I find it so. The Grim Hotel in Texarkana, Texas (and Texarkana, Arkansas):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/umbo/247723505/

It's dilapidated and abandonned now, but back in the 30's it was *THE* place to be if you were in town. It's been the source of a lot of jokes, but Mr. Grim was very proud of his hotel and his name, so he prominantly displayed it for all to see.

There's a pretty good writeup of some of the hotel's history involving Bonnie and Clyde here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98988282@N00/535340832/

I really want to build this building (my family has deep roots in Texarkana), but I'm not sure how I'll do it. The building is at the intersection of two roads, but the roads don't meet at a perfect 90 degrees to each other, so the building isn't square, either. I don't know if I want to build it true to life and make it hard to include in a display, or warp the design so it would fit in one.

--Tony

Finally, this tread!

I wanted to poen it, but I don't have the time to do it (and don't take the time, a little...)

This tread can be very interested to find some ideas, and to discover some nice building with different architectural style!

So thanks Hinckley!

And to illustrate what I said : after some american buildings from Hinckley,here a pic from a building that I want to build in my next town, with a kind of style that Americans don't have : la porte de la Craffe, NANCY (Craffe door, in NANCY)

D7912.jpg

And to illustrate what I said : after some american buildings from Hinckley,here a pic from a building that I want to build in my next town, with a kind of style that Americans don't have : la porte de la Craffe, NANCY (Craffe door, in NANCY)

X-O X-O X-O I love it!

But not all of my pics are American. The first one I posted is from Prague. :-P

im with sava on this one... im not sure how many others would be inspired by this building, but its the inspiration behind my first city MOC *wub*

the Barnes & Thornburg building in Indianapolis, IN, USA (my former hometown) implements perfectly the architectural style commonly known as "chicago school." characterized by the icon ancient civilization "column" this architecture style is composed in three sections, a base, middle, and crown.

this is the best picture i could find of it. and let me tell you, it does not do it justice >:-(

also, unfortunately, this site does not allow "deeplinks"... so you'll have to link to it manually. sorry.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=barnes...anapolis-in-usa

--------------------------------------------------

after that, i would like to try some post-modern architecture and try a "300 north meridian" style tower, also in indianapolis...

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=118691

--------------------------------------------------

im also dabbling in a gothic revival style commercial building. i think the woolworth building in NYC, and the tribune tower in chicago are great examples of gothic revival...

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=woolwo...yorkcity-ny-usa

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=tribun...-chicago-il-usa

the problem with gothic revival style architecture is that there is a strong use of vertical lines... and to make a LEGO building modular (which i am trying to do, to somewhat fit the CC style) is difficult, because you need a horizontal platform to place each story on.

- BrickMiner

So here the result of the work of my afternoon:

citymoc2007_02.jpg

It's inspired by the pic that I posted above. It's in its beta version, it need few modifications, like to put tileson the floor, so cars can pass trough the door. Just for info, it's an old prison.

More pics here when moderated.

Oh cool thread !! Thats a great idea !!

I have a really awsome building next to where I live I need to take pics of tomorrow and post them for you !!

Also (and if I have time ;-) ) I can take pics for you of things in Paris you might be interested in (like old style fountains, metro booth and what have you !!). So if I can be of assistance, let me know ;-)

*yoda*

Thanks Wout! My moc would be better with small windows in the towers, but you can't do them with thos big curved pieces. Maybe with decals like in the airbender temple set...

And Yoda, I'm very interested by the pics that you can take from Paris! Thanks in advance!

And Yoda, I'm very interested by the pics that you can take from Paris! Thanks in advance!

Sure, anything in particular ? (apart from the obvious you can see anywhere on the net) ;-) I'll go tomorrow to pic that building, forgot to do it today !!

If any request, I'll do it hehe

*yoda*

Okie guys,

I shall start posting some Parisian city inspiration !! Here are pics taken just in my neighborhood, so enjoy.

Here is the Caf

Edited by xwingyoda

Thanks for those pics!

I will post some pics from Nancy and Clermont-Ferrand (this week end at last).

Excellent *yoda* Thanks. What a neat little town you live in! *sweet*

Thanks also for pinning this! *wub*

What a neat little town you live in! *sweet*
Uh oh - I feel a Chicago-Paris Monday Night Smackdown coming >:-)!

So in the left corner, "little" Paris ≈ 12 million including suburbs and in the right corner Chicago ≈ 10 million with suburbs.

Come on guys - the gloves are off boxing_gloves.gif *y*!

12 rounder On

copmike

Uh oh - I feel a Chicago-Paris Monday Night Smackdown coming >:-)!

So in the left corner, "little" Paris ≈ 12 million including suburbs and in the right corner Chicago ≈ 10 million with suburbs.

Come on guys - the gloves are off boxing_gloves.gif *y*!

12 rounder On

copmike

Oh geez :-| do you really think I'm that easy to goad into a...you're on! >:-( f**king Paris is going down!

yoda_lawnmower.jpg

Take that!...wait, I still don't understand what this smackdown would be about :-$

Oh geez :-| do you really think I'm that easy to goad into a...you're on! >:-( f**king Paris is going down!

*yoda* hasn't even started using it, and he has already been whacked and mowed. I'm getting jealous!

I love this building! *wub*

img_4886.jpg

That staircase in the center is so cool. I'm moving!

*yoda* hasn't even started using it, and he has already been whacked and mowed. I'm getting jealous!

No worries, brother. There's always plenty of whacking for you >:-)

I love this building! *wub*

img_4886.jpg

That staircase in the center is so cool. I'm moving!

If you want to move, now is the time, the building is for sale :-P .

[name=hinckley39' date='Aug 22 2007, 12:37 AM' post='186721]

yoda_lawnmower.jpg

Just wait till I get your sigfig and I'll get medieval on your a*s >:-)

Anyhow back on topic :-P

My neighborhood part 2

Yes I did a couple more shots of my beloved neighborhood that is really rich in different building styles !!

I/ Utilities

I shall start with the most common things such as the news stand (pretty stylie !!), the Metro booth (some are more beautifull in the Art D