Oky

Disney Movies and TV Shows Discussion

These are purportedly our first looks at Bo Peep in Toy Story 4 and Anna & Elsa in the upcoming sequel to Frozen via leaked promotional art:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Bo Peep looks like Cinderella there

And it seems Pocahontas is paying a visit to the Arandelle queen/princess :laugh:

While it's no secret that I am very much against all these pointless live action (and not-so-live-action) remakes, I'd have to be a heartless monster to hate on this one since much like with 101 Dalmatians, seeing real doggos on screen does kinda make for a good new experience, especially knowing that they are rescues. It's ironic though that the one remake that I'm willing to give a pass is the one they decided to dump straight onto their streaming service for some reason. :wacko:

On 5/29/2018 at 5:10 AM, Oky said:
On 5/25/2018 at 10:51 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

On a side note, Disney's next animated feature in development is reportedly a fantasy adventure titled Dragon Empire, with a possible oriental setting:

Screen Rant - Disney Reportedly Developing Animated Dragon Empire Film 

Ah, excellent news. I was worried what was going to happen after Gigantic got cancelled. This actually sounds pretty awesome and more intriguing than Gigantic, so I'm excited.

Screen Rant - Raya and the Last Dragon: First Details for Disney's New Animated Film

Disney-Raya-and-the-Last-Dragon-logo.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=798&h=407

Written by Adele Lim (Crazy Rich Asians), Raya and the Last Dragon follows Raya (Steele), "a lone warrior from the fantasy kingdom of Kumandra who teams up with a crew of misfits in her quest to find the Last Dragon and bring light and unity back to their world". Awkwafina is lending her voice to Sisu, the Last Dragon, who was left behind on earth by the other dragons "in case dark forces return to the world". Disney story artists Paul Briggs and Dean Wellins (Frozen, Big Hero 6) are making their directorial debut on the film, with Osnat Shurer (Moana) producing. The project's D23 presentation confirmed it was heavily inspired by Southeast Asian myths, with places like Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia being studied for research by its creative team.

Raya and the last dragon could produce some interesting sets if they make any for the film.  

SO MUCH DISNEY NEWS TODAY! Pixar just announced two new movies on their slate. One of them is a Buzz Lightyear origin story titled "Lightyear" about how the "real" Buzz became a space ranger and comes out June 17, 2022. Needless to say, I'm super excited! :grin_wub: Even though this will probably retcon Buzz Lightyear of Star Command which Pixar seems to want to sweep under the rug for no good reason. :hmpf_bad: This version of Buzz will be played by Chris Evans instead of Tim Allen which I actually don't mind. It might take some getting used to a new voice, but I can definitely see him pulling it off. To infinity and beyond!

Eo6vmmZWEAELuf9?format=jpg&name=large

The other movie is Turning Red which is about a girl named Mei who transforms into a giant red panda whenever she gets excited and releases March 11, 2022. Sounds fun and it's always good to see more original Pixar films.

Eo6sm0EWMAM8Ovg?format=jpg&name=900x900

Also, it looks like the hybrid live action Rescue Rangers movie is finally getting out of development hell and coming to Disney+ in Spring 2022!

Eo6jbUHXYAIWDr9?format=jpg&name=900x900

And speaking of Disney+, Raya and the Last Dragon will be coming there the same day as its theatrical release for premium access like Mulan did. It's surprising to see them sticking to this model after Mulan failed so hard and WB announced that all of their movies next year will be available on HBO Max at no extra cost. I'll probably wait until it's free, although the trailer does look interesting.

Spin-Off series for Ahsoka and Cara Dune were officially announced. A new cinematic movie called "Rogue Squadron" was announced for 2022.

Edited by Brickadeer

So me and my parents decided to go ahead and pay the premium to see Raya and the Last Dragon (since we would have paid more if we had seen it at the theater) and I really liked it! The visuals are fantastic, as are the music and performances. It has a nice message about trust (although some might argue it's a bit idealistic, even for Disney) and some other good themes that reflect today's culture. The humor feels a bit more like Dreamworks than Disney and probably wont work for everyone, but I didn't mind it. It also has some very interesting world building that is reminiscent of that of Avatar: The Last Airbender. However, due to having to introduce so much lore and so many different locations in one movie, the pacing suffers a bit and I think it would have worked better as a series like A:TLA with the characters visiting a new tribe each season. Still, I can definitely recommend checking it out, especially once the premium period is over.

I also watched the last few episodes of DuckTales and, oh man, what a duck blur! I loved the Kit Cloudkicker episode as it was great to see Kit and Molly all grown up and seeing Kit struggling to live up to Baloo's legacy. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a whole TaleSpin sequel series like this! And "The Last Adventure" was great as well with lots of great twists and turns and references! I just about lost my mind at that scene with the horse! :laugh: It wasn't quite as epic as I was hoping (I really wanted to see an Endgame-style battle between all the Disney Afternoon heroes and villains) but it was still a great end to a great show with a nice message about family. I'm sad it's over, but I'm glad we got what we got and that it was as good as it was. This show really set a new standard for how to do a reboot right.

Anyone else watch these?

Disney and Marvel are doing very good with the Marvel TV shows. Wanda Vision was pretty good, up there with the best Marvel TV shows (basically Daredevil and Jessica Jones, which are all considerably better than Agents of Shield and Iron Fist).

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is two episodes in and looking strong. This is the kind of development these characters lacked in the movies, specifically Falcon, Wanda, and Vision who are very much side characters in the movies.  It's good to see them get high quality TV shows that continue their stories.

Marvel can't seem to do wrong. Well, not as wrong as other companies... they've had a few stinker TV shows and some of the movies are incredibly average (and others great). Disney handling Marvel is going well. Disney handling Lucas Arts on the other hand is producing stuff that is, I'd say too kid specific for a franchise that started out as something for everyone.

So... this just released and it's worse than I could have possibly imagined. :sick:

Everything about this is just SO wrong. The plot, the voices, the music, the animation, the jokes... it's just awful. Not that I'm surprised given the track record of Disney's other live action films and every other hybrid live action kids movie, but I was really hoping this one would be different. Why did they go with this tired old meta story about washed up actors? Chip rightfully says that no one wants a reboot, but honestly, in this case I would have preferred a reboot over this. A feature-length episode of the show in hybrid live-action could have worked very well. I could look past them having different voices, but why didn't they give them their signature high pitch? And why did one of the voices have to be Ben Schwartz who voices like every other cartoon character these days? Gadget, Monterey and Zipper seem to be hardly in this movie, and instead we get a bunch of random cameos and cliche movie references. Why did they have to drag my boy Scrooge and my girl Fluttershy into this mess? Ugh.

Why, Disney...... Why?

I used to see Disney Movies through an enchanted castle on Disney Channel with holographic banners playing movies that may play on the date I was watching, since they were past movies. Any of you know the name of that castle? I've looked and had an answer once, but lost the comment somehow. It's not the typical name, like the castle's name that we see in movie introductions to the Disney LOGO these days.