Paul Boratko

2015 Twin Assassin Supercars: P.D. Special and X19

Hey Paul,

As I've already said, great work again. I'm curious what part you used for the headlights, though.

Mike

It looks like it might be one of these in clear.

Beautiful, clean, minimalistic model Paul, looks like an official model (allthough that would never have a working gearbox nowadays)

Like others said, I also prefer the black/orange over the white/blue.

I'm just not sure about the front bumper though, it sticks out a bit too much for my taste

Amazing cars Paul.

It looks like these are less part-heavy, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

The other functions, doors and stuff, are manual?

Did you think about other functions for the cars? I can't name any right now, but maybe you would have thought of some.

Amazing cars Paul.

It looks like these are less part-heavy, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

The other functions, doors and stuff, are manual?

Did you think about other functions for the cars? I can't name any right now, but maybe you would have thought of some.

Yes, everything else is manual.. I actually had a really cool door mechanism that opened the doors in kind of a simple butterfly motion, but I just couldn't get it incorporated properly and I didn't want to have something that just didn't look good, so I scrapped it..

I am all for new functions as long as they are practical and can be done properly and are reliable... Every new car that I do is designed around some type of new idea as the base for it, like this one being around the gearbox... I also used a different type of suspension set-up in the rear to gain the needed space for the engine to fit in while maintaining the same width, something that I had never done before... Also it was extremely challenging to design an entire rear section that could not only be tilted backwards, but also lined up perfectly with the rest of the car.. There was a lot of 1/2 stud offsetting to achieve this.. I like to think that bringing new build techniques or ideas to the table can be just as important as new gimmicky functions.. Of course the functions are what always stand out in the end... :classic:

Yes, everything else is manual.. I actually had a really cool door mechanism that opened the doors in kind of a simple butterfly motion, but I just couldn't get it incorporated properly and I didn't want to have something that just didn't look good, so I scrapped it..

I am all for new functions as long as they are practical and can be done properly and are reliable... Every new car that I do is designed around some type of new idea as the base for it, like this one being around the gearbox... I also used a different type of suspension set-up in the rear to gain the needed space for the engine to fit in while maintaining the same width, something that I had never done before... Also it was extremely challenging to design an entire rear section that could not only be tilted backwards, but also lined up perfectly with the rest of the car.. There was a lot of 1/2 stud offsetting to achieve this.. I like to think that bringing new build techniques or ideas to the table can be just as important as new gimmicky functions.. Of course the functions are what always stand out in the end... :classic:

The rear section is great indeed. 42039 uses this also, and it's probably not easy to achieve.

Extra problem is probably the roof not being connected to the rear of the car, increasing instability?

With LEGO Technic, the functions stand out indeed, so my initial thought was a bit (and don't take this personal) "you can do more Paul".

I don't know how to explain this correct, but when there are dozens of MOC's with lots of functions, one becomes a bit spoiled, and models tend to impress less at first glance.

I would love to build this model though. The last one i build was the Vampire GT.

I like to see how your models have grown.

I may be in the minority here, but when I see a MOC that doesn't look very good aesthetically or doesn't appear like it was soundly designed, I don't care what kind of gadgets or gizmos it has inside.

I may be in the minority here, but when I see a MOC that doesn't look very good aesthetically or doesn't appear like it was soundly designed, I don't care what kind of gadgets or gizmos it has inside.

I'm in that minority too. The more time I spend here the more I feel that this is indeed a small minority.

I love the front by the way, in my opinions, this is your best-proportioned model, Paul.

Edited by Lipko

Again excellent work,love the curves and gearbox design. And for the black version only a few parts need to be ordered and I can start this excellent build. Now the long wait for the instructions....can we pre-order :)....

Edited by bmollema

I feel the same. I care most about build quality nowadays.

I think its refreshing to have an outstanding high quality Technic model that isn't built to be an RC car. So many fantastic MOCs out there that are full RC... it really adds to the price to build some of them and honestly, who as an AFOL sits around and plays with RC models anyway... maybe I am in the minority in that area because I build them just to enjoy the building experience and then to have a great looking model to display.

I think just the gearbox system and chassis in this model are innovative enough. I mean I've seen people do remote linkage style gearboxes in the past, but never ones that look this cleanly done or designed quite like this. Granted this has new parts which seem to work much better than those old pesky driving rings. I have built several of Paul's cars and every one of them are designed different from the last and includes many things that are new and refreshing. Like the door mechanism on his Phantasm, It was just genius. The way the hood opened on the muscle car and the linear gearbox setup. The gearbox in the vamp gt was IMO a game changer as far as transmissions layouts go. I see more and more builders incorporating that design into their models now. Maybe we have seen so much come from some of our favorite fellow builders that we now are expecting too much from them.

Edited by Meatman

The rear section is great indeed. 42039 uses this also, and it's probably not easy to achieve.

Extra problem is probably the roof not being connected to the rear of the car, increasing instability?

With LEGO Technic, the functions stand out indeed, so my initial thought was a bit (and don't take this personal) "you can do more Paul".

I don't know how to explain this correct, but when there are dozens of MOC's with lots of functions, one becomes a bit spoiled, and models tend to impress less at first glance.

I would love to build this model though. The last one i build was the Vampire GT.

I like to see how your models have grown.

Fair enough.. Points taken...

Appearance to me is more important than functions though.. I often see builders hurting their designs because they are trying to build the exterior around functions they are trying to cram in...

I am always going to build with a mindset of "What would Lego do?"

I am always going to build with a mindset of "What would Lego do?"

The answer is make it 10 time uglier and include a pointless function splitter.

But, I like the way you make your models look amazing, and include functions that are well thought out, and not at all gimmicky, as Lego sometimes does. I'd have to say you are at a different level than current Lego cars, almost at "How would Lego make a flagship supercar?"

The answer is make it 10 time uglier and include a pointless function splitter.

But, I like the way you make your models look amazing, and include functions that are well thought out, and not at all gimmicky, as Lego sometimes does. I'd have to say you are at a different level than current Lego cars, almost at "How would Lego make a flagship supercar?"

I guess that what I meant was how far would Lego would go as far as pushing certain limitations and boundaries within a model using their standards...

There is no doubt in my mind that their design team could embarrass me 7 different ways on a Sunday, but luckily for me they have many factors that they must abide with in order to meet their company's criteria...

I guess that what I meant was how far would Lego would go as far as pushing certain limitations and boundaries within a model using their standards...

There is no doubt in my mind that their design team could embarrass me 7 different ways on a Sunday, but luckily for me they have many factors that they must abide with in order to meet their company's criteria...

7 different ways on a Sunday? :laugh: Maybe 6, but I don't know about 7. :laugh:

I managed to get rid of all Five of the Uber-Rare Black 19L flexi axles(Replaced with 16L) and the Two Semi-Rare Black 14L flexi axles(Replaced with 12L) and the Model looks almost unchanged... Minus a few black bushings(which are fairly common now) Every other part in the model is currently in production and easy to get... The instructions will also have red stripes and seats instead of Orange because the 11L and 9L Orange liftarms are very expensive...

assassin459.jpg

assassin451.jpg

assassin453.jpg

The Assassin and Nathanael's Predator

assassin455.jpg

Also did a version in Red to see how it looked...

assassin389.jpg

assassin391.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko