davidmull

Track end buffer.

Right, but this is Lego and the cars are very free-rolling most of the time.

True, I guess it depends on the builder's perspective. Some of the others posted in this thread may not stop a runaway car either. I haven't had a problem yet with cars rolling off the track, and while I have accidentally driven through the buffers and off the track while fiddling around in the yard at a show, I was pretty glad that the buffer broke away didn't damage the train.

Did this one a while ago. I'd be happy to share the design, though its pretty simple so you can probably figure most of it out by looking at the picture!

I wouldn't mind seeing how to build that one. I have designed a Haynes one a while back, but never built it. We have two abandoned Spurs behind our shop that the owner had us clear the trees and brush from. One of the tracks has a bent Haynes. I thought of asking the property owner if I could take it, if it wasn't so bent. It would make a heck of a piece of yard art.

Some railroads also stack old ties at the end of seldom used tracks, or put piles of ballast at the end of an industry or storage track.

Sal

WFB, WI

This is quite a usefull post. Gave me lot's of ideas as how to make some buffer's myself for my first train MOC of 60052.

Darn, im turning into a train nerd myself. Have to go outside and explore the danish train layout of the whole country to get ideas !

I wouldn't mind seeing how to build that one.

The only real trick to it is that the bumper part (the 1x2 tile on the 1x1 brick) is held in place by a vertical clip (4085) pinched in place by the hinges attached to the legs. And some of the ballast needs to be "dug" out for the 1x6 tiles making the back legs to sit properly. Another pic is here. I've also sent the design to Michael Gale for his L-Gauge website.