Sign in to follow this  
eurotrash

MOC: Street Car/Tram

Street Car / Tram

I've been working on this for a while and to be honest I've struggled with scale. It started as a six-wide, got rebuilt as a seven-wide (fragile), then rebuilt again as an eight-wide (it looked enormous, but was structurally robust). Then I went back to a six-wide and added a 9v motor. I've also gone through a couple of iterations of window sizes - from 2x2's to 2x3's and back to 2x2's. But something still didn't quite look right so in the end I Bricklinked an order and built two versions so I could see them side by side and compare them.

Here's the 6-wide version. It's powered by the 9v motor.

16271564337_78dc6ff728_c.jpg

Here's the 7-wide. It's currently unpowered and sits on a false bogie, but is easily modded to hold the 9v.

16455720771_54b41265d0_c.jpg

And here's a comparison shot of the two together.

16270040100_34ff82d892_c.jpg

So which one do you think I should send to the inventory bins? and which one should I use? Or should I scrap them both and start again?

Comments, criticism, and ridicule most welcome.

Could you add some reference materials?

Maybe a link to the tram(s) you're trying to brick?

It's not based on any specific Street Car/Tram. I was aiming for the look and feel of an older, generic European one.

I would keep the 7 wide, the overhang of the roof over the entrance ways looking at it from the front just makes it more realistic.

I like the seven wide. And I certainly appreciate you designing a mode of transportion that any hipster can ride proudly whilst he views the world through his Google glasses. Nice work, indeed.

I like the 6 wide. With the large 9V train wheels underneath, it reminds me of classic Lionel toy trains.

as fun as it is to see the 9v wheels, the 7wide looks far more real. looking at length though, they both feel a little stubby. 2 more studs long would do them good I think.

As always nice MOC ,I like the 7 wide,but i agree with GallardoLU that the length needs to be a bit longer.

Thanks peeps! The opinions have been counted and you've convinced me to go for the 7-wide version. I'll widen the 6-wide so that I have two carriages.

I like the seven wide. And I certainly appreciate you designing a mode of transportion that any hipster can ride proudly whilst he views the world through his Google glasses. Nice work, indeed.

I keep telling you OTW there's no hipsters in my town, no gentrification, and no urban renewal :classic: ....just a dodgy looking Tram system.

...They both feel a little stubby. 2 more studs long would do them good I think.

I think you're right about that, but my problem is that I wanted to be able to couple the two together and with the 9v motor placed centrally the ends of the carriage swing out dramatically around the curves/switches. That coupling currently needs to be about six studs in length - if I lengthen the carriages by another two studs then that coupling will be even larger. I'm going to have to think about that, but thanks for all the comments!

As someone who has some trains, I'd go for the 6 wide one, just because trams aren't supposed to be wider than trains, lol. Otherwise both are nice simple builds.

I'd go for the 6 stud and with some more length. I've done a lot of riding with Dutch trams and the were always slim because they must manoeuvre through normal street traffic often with 1 or 2 additional cars attached.

But I do like the look of both your modells.