michaelgale

New Track Planning Library for BlueBrick

Now that ME Models is shipping its much anticipated alternative Lego train track components, I really wanted to see what sort of layouts could be built with these elements. Many of us use the superb BlueBrick software tool for designing layouts both for individual and collaborative use. BlueBrick does not have library support for ME track components and therefore, I decided to make a custom library add-on for BlueBrick to include ME track.

I have created two BlueBrick compatible libraries to assist with train layout planning by expanding the range of elements available for design.

• ME Models Track Components - This can be used as an expansion pack for the existing BlueBrick Track parts library. Simply extract the downloaded archive into the pre-existing \parts\Track folder.
  • Complete LEGO® Train System Schematic Elements - This is completely new library developed specifically for symbolic or schematic track planning. It is a complete library including track elements from LEGO®, ME-Models, as well as custom track elements such as stub-switches and crossovers.

The library is freely available for download at my website at: www.brickdimensions.com/resources/trains

ME-Models library:

16257102595_def8411a57_z.jpgBlueBrick Library for ME Models Track by michaelgale, on Flickr

New Schematic Track Planning Library:

16220084770_bda553a309_c.jpgUniversal Track Planning Library by michaelgale, on Flickr

BlueBrick screenshot with schematic track planning components:

16219852818_34d5f73c0a_c.jpgUniversal Track Planning for BlueBrick by michaelgale, on Flickr

It's really a great job. Thank you. I think you forget the flex track witch is a regular Lego track.

8867%20Flexible%20Train%20Tracks%20-%20Piece.png

It's really a great job. Thank you. I think you forget the flex track witch is a regular Lego track.

8867%20Flexible%20Train%20Tracks%20-%20Piece.png

You are correct, I did forget the flex track! I am not a big fan of the flex track elements and don't think I would use them myself. However, for completeness, it should include it--very likely in a new revision of the library. In the meantime, the 1/4 length straight element can be used as a close substitute. Also, their is a flex track element in the BlueBrick "Track" library folder which can be used as well.

I agree with you michaelgale. I'am also not a flex track fan and 1/4 custom do the same job on BB. Adding the flex just for completeness is perfect. :wink: A red flex track will not break the red color scheme for vanilla tracks. BTW, using color schèmes is really a great idea. Thank you !

16423705085_119ef57817_c.jpgBlueBrick Track Schematic Library v.1.1 Update by michaelgale, on Flickr

I have updated my BlueBrick schematic track library to version 1.1. It incorporates the following updates:

1) Added RC/9V R40 radius half curves

2) Added RC flex track components.

Head over to http://www.brickdimensions.com/resources/trains to download this latest version. Enjoy!

Edited by michaelgale

Thank you for sharing these wonderful resources, I have already put the ME tracks to good use and I am looking forward to the track planning library.

Thanks Michael for your fantastic job.

I have not yet received my ME track, but now I can start with the "paperwork".

I installed the package, thanks for sharing and working on it, schematic package seems to be a powerful tool to me to design exhibition displays! Thanks again for the really nice job!