Sign in to follow this  
davidmull

Newbie question on trains.

Hi I'm a technic guy but just bought my first train set today 60052. I'm looking at also getting 7939 and the maersk too.

Are all tracks comparable both normal and flexy or which is better? I take it my 60052 is normal tracks but can they all be joined and look the same?

Half way through building 60052 only the engine left to build. Carriages were quiet easy and so was the crane.

Very strange building when I'm used to technic but nice all the same.

One more question is the new 60051 worth getting?

Edited by davidmull

Flexy is not very good. It looks kind of ugly, is hellish loud when run over and provides a lot of extra drag. If you aren't using 9v (doesn't sound like you are), you can use any all of the currently available track together, along with any 9v era track (same track but with metal topped rails)

Flexy is not very good. It looks kind of ugly, is hellish loud when run over and provides a lot of extra drag. If you aren't using 9v (doesn't sound like you are), you can use any all of the currently available track together, along with any 9v era track (same track but with metal topped rails)

So for instance if i buy 7939 that has flexy tracks? Am i better off just buying 7939 train only? And can u buy hard track packs now?

If I were you, I wouldn't even bother with Lego's default track anymore. They've all but neglected their track system, and if you ever wish to buy track separately to expand (even casually) your layout, ME Models track is your best option. It is a far more flexible option, and a much better value. I wouldn't even consider it to be generic at this point.

Keep it simple, for now at least, davidmull. Read through the various posts, and learn the religion that some folk subscribe too. Finally, enjoy yourself.

So the latest track pack is flexable 7499. Can u not buy non flexy track packs and why does this years 2 city sets have the better hard tracks?

Are 7895 7896 a better option?

Edited by davidmull

Check out bricklink, you'll be able to pickup up straight (€1.25) and curve (€0.40) sections of track for reasonable money. It really comes down to, what is your goal?

Current track sets from Lego.ie are: (when you compare the selection with regular model trains it is disappointing)

7499 Flexible and Straight Tracks

8867 Flexible Train Tracks

7895 Switching Tracks (includes 4 curve tracks)

Links:

http://www.bricklink...10&searchSort=P

Edited by phoenix42

Check out bricklink, you'll be able to pickup up straight (€1.25) and curve (€0.40) sections of track for reasonable money. It really comes down to, what is your goal?

Current track sets from Lego.ie are: (when you compare the selection with regular model trains it is disappointing)

7499 Flexible and Straight Tracks

8867 Flexible Train Tracks

7895 Switching Tracks (includes 4 curve tracks)

Links:

Thank u. Are all track the same dark grey?

Flex track isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It is NOT a replacement for straight or curves, and it is very loud and might slow the train a little, but used in moderation, it can be a great tool. You can use jumper plates to mount flex track to baseplates to keep them from moving.

Flex track is absolutely awesome for one specific case: making connections that don't fit the standard track geometry.

Other than that, I hate to join the haters, but it's noisy, high friction (sucks power and speed), and it looks bad. :classic:

As many have said about flex track, it is noisy, doesn't look good,....

But I found them to be useful when I wanted to separate 9V track sections, when each section is powered by a different transformer, cause the 9V motor makes it over the 4 studs without slowing down. Though I don't know if that damages the motor, cause I currently don't have a track setup.

LEGO's shop page, Bricklink and Google could have answered all of your questions within minutes. Guess that would have been too much work.

Maybe he's not as comfortable with the shops (especially bricklink, which can be very confusing on the first attempt) as you are. And even if he was comfortable with them, he knows nothing about the track, and probably doesn't want to risk spending money on the wrong thing, so this question was totally valid.

A member who mostly posts in the Technic section... I bet he knows almost as much about lego train building as I do about lego technic building (which is near bugger all, which is a shame, because a better knowledge of motors and gearing would really help my MOCs).

Edited by Redimus

Hi Dave,

I'm a newbi to this forum and lego trains but possibly in a similar position to you. The guy in the big red suit brought 60052 for my son. We had good fun with that on Christmas day but it is a bit limited (at least it does have one set of points). Then I got him 7499 (the 8 straight and flex track) that was good because he could make a loop from one side to the other with the one set of points. Then he decided that he wanted to buy 60051. We also discovered (on youtube) how to build a cross track.

So now with two trains, cross track and a track from the two sets the fun really began. We were(are) still a bit limited with the layout that we could achieve but without the bit of flex track it would have been much worse. (So a bit of flex track is very handy to have.) I'll try and post a photo tomorrow.

So is 60051 worth buying? Well its not much of a building challenge but it does make a good compliment to the cargo train. You get a fair bit of extra track and another set of power functions. The bottom line is that, at the moment, 60052 + 60051 is your cheapest way into multiple trains.

To be honest, in my opinion, it's not the best/a great time for getting into Lego trains. 60051/2 are the only sets available. The Horizon Express has just been retired, the Maersk is getting expensive, the Emerald Night is beyond sensible and there are no creator trains currently on the market. :angry: That said it hasn't stopped me! I've sprung for a Maersk (off a guy in Athlone) and a Horizon Express. But both will sit unopened for a while till I see if our interest is sustained. Later I hope to start doing some MOCs. But the immediate plan is to acquire more track to make a more interesting layout(s).

Hope that is of some help.

Edited by Crazywater

Can't speak for the EN, but the Mearsk is a really great build, and the HE isn't bad either.

Edited by Redimus

LEGO's shop page, Bricklink and Google could have answered all of your questions within minutes. Guess that would have been too much work.

Have u got some sort of problem???this is a forum.

And thanks everyone for the help :)

@davidmill & Crazywater - I'd offer to bring stuff over from the US for you (planning on visiting Galway this summer), but I think my wife would kill me if she saw any more Lego coming into the house regardless of the reason :)

Edited by phoenix42

@davidmill & Crazywater - I'd offer to bring stuff over from the US for you, but I think my wife would kill me if she say more Lego coming into the house regardless of the reason :)

Thanks Phoenix, I hear ya :laugh: I'll be in the dog house when the next credit card bill comes in :cry_sad:

I suggest not getting 60051. Get the 7938 red passenger train. It is much better and has more parts. I do not feel like listing all 60051's difficulties because I have many times before. If you really get into it get HE before it is to late.

If I were you, I wouldn't even bother with Lego's default track anymore. They've all but neglected their track system, and if you ever wish to buy track separately to expand (even casually) your layout, ME Models track is your best option. It is a far more flexible option, and a much better value. I wouldn't even consider it to be generic at this point.

I do not agree with that statement. Lego has done a fine job with their track. ME Models track does not stay together well. Edited by Legoboy22

I suggest not getting 60051. Get the 7938 red passenger train. It is much better and has more parts. I do not feel like listing all 60051's difficulties because I have many times before. If you really get into it get HE before it is to late.

I do not agree with that statement. Lego has done a fine job with their track. ME Models track does not stay together well.

I have not had any issues with their track coming apart. It holds together just as well as the first generation LEGO track, since it's of similar design. They will also be releasing solid plug-and-play track soon, which would give them the same integrity as the current power functions track. Having used every type of LEGO track produced, at this point I honestly cannot recommend anything other than ME Models track, even for new or casual builders. I think it's just as beginner friendly as LEGO track, if not more, since you aren't forced to buy flex track along with it. It's beautifully designed track.