nerdsforprez

Go Pro going gone?

For those that use the GoPro video recorder for showing your MOCs (Sariel I know uses one, or at least a variant) I am curious to see their reaction to this latest news. Here is the article. In sum, Apple received a patent to produce its own version of the GoPro camera. Smaller, lighter, cheaper and supposed to filter out wind and other noises better. Has anyone the inside scoop on this prodict. Thoughts, comments? Strengths or weaknesses of the GoPro versus Apple's new version?

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/13/technology/gopro-apple-patent/index.html

I wouldn't be susprised if GoPro starts to make bendable phones now :grin: :grin:

Anyway.....I'm not supporting Apple on that! The only good product they have in my opinion is the iMac.

In my opinion, only product that i'll buy is iPod classic. Only worthy product. Everthing else s*cks.

Ok that's it for offtopic, I hope they'll make good camera that will cost at least 250-300$ Cuz if more i'll preffer buying GoPro which is really good quality and makes awesome videos :thumbup:

Edited by izorn

I have a hard time believing Apple will have a cheaper price point than GoPro thats just not how their business model works.

I like competition... It makes all similar products get better, or... Be gone.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Ah yessss, the legendary Apple's Rumored Features.

10912889_984873104874870_1199478813_n.jpg

Smaller, lighter, cheaper and supposed to filter out wind and other noises better.

Yeah, the same way iPhone is superior in every way to all the other smartphones in existence, once you unbend it ;)

First of all, Apple is a well known patent troll. They once tried to sue Motorola over "touch to unlock" feature violating their "slide to unlock" patent, on the grounds that, and I'm not kidding, "a touch is essentially a zero length slide". So they're routinely trying to patent anything that comes to their minds, and one more patent doesn't actually have to mean a thing, other than they want to sit on it.

Second, I have never in my life seen an Apple product I would like to buy. Keep in mind, there's like a dozen or two of similar cameras already on the market, competing hard with GoPro and some of them really good, but GoPro still dominates. Somehow I don't see them closing down the business just because Apple got some patent. There's a long way to go from a patent to a market-ready product, and if Apple's history is any indication, their new camera will cost you a kidney, have a kind of port nobody has heard about, take about 10 photos then leak them all over the iCloud, and it will stop taking pictures immediately after the first firmware upgrade ;)

I'm perfectly happy with GoPro 3. So much, in fact, that I see no need to move to 4. If one day somebody releases a camera that is equally good but smaller and lighter while being compatible with all my GoPro accessories... well, then I'll still have a very good camera that will serve me for years to come.

Edited by Sariel

Ah yessss, the legendary Apple's Rumored Features.

10912889_984873104874870_1199478813_n.jpg

Yeah, the same way iPhone is superior in every way to all the other smartphones in existence, once you unbend it ;)

First of all, Apple is a well known patent troll. They once tried to sue Motorola over "touch to unlock" feature violating their "slide to unlock" patent, on the grounds that, and I'm not kidding, "a touch is essentially a zero length slide". So they're routinely trying to patent anything that comes to their minds, and one more patent doesn't actually have to mean a thing, other than they want to sit on it.

Second, I have never in my life seen an Apple product I would like to buy. Keep in mind, there's like a dozen or two of similar cameras already on the market, competing hard with GoPro and some of them really good, but GoPro still dominates. Somehow I don't see them closing down the business just because Apple got some patent. There's a long way to go from a patent to a market-ready product, and if Apple's history is any indication, their new camera will cost you a kidney, have a kind of port nobody has heard about, take about 10 photos then leak them all over the iCloud, and it will stop taking pictures immediately after the first firmware upgrade ;)

I'm perfectly happy with GoPro 3. So much, in fact, that I see no need to move to 4. If one day somebody releases a camera that is equally good but smaller and lighter while being compatible with all my GoPro accessories... well, then I'll still have a very good camera that will serve me for years to come.

Well said

Dont forgot to mention the part where once you transfer the videos from the device to iCloud Apple will claim all ownership and rights to said video because of a single sentence buried deep in the eula.

First of all, Apple is a well known patent troll. They once tried to sue Motorola over "touch to unlock" feature violating their "slide to unlock" patent, on the grounds that, and I'm not kidding, "a touch is essentially a zero length slide".

Sometimes a patent holder has to sue anyone that comes close to challenging a patent, else the future enforceability of patent is lessened. I agree it can be ridiculous at times and I don't know if this applies to this situation.

So they're routinely trying to patent anything that comes to their minds, and one more patent doesn't actually have to mean a thing, other than they want to sit on it.

Yep. And if they don't someone else will. There are even companies that only exist to buy patents, look for violators, and then sue them.

Apple recently filed a patent for a bendable phone. :)

HA! I was just about to rant about apple and stupid software patents and even more stupid connection interfaces while everybody else uses micro USB. But Sariel obviously beat me to that.

Even if Apple really produces such an action camera, it will most likely be not as good as other cameras, will be much more expensive, will be praised into heavens about how good it is and people will stand in lines to get one. But also, it will have to compete with an established market.

Ranting aside, remind me, when did Apple actually produce any camera? Last I checked, they've used cameras by Sony in two last iPhones, and I believe Samsung was involved before.

Oh wait, I remember. They made Apple QuickTake 200 back in '97 and it was such a disaster they pulled it off the market the same year :)

PS. I'm not saying Apple is bad. I just like to remember this is a company that was perfectly sure a round-shaped mouse is a brilliant idea a few years ago ;)

Edited by Sariel

Ranting aside, remind me, when did Apple actually produce any camera? Last I checked, they've used cameras by Sony in two last iPhones, and I believe Samsung was involved before.

Oh wait, I remember. They made Apple QuickTake 200 back in '97 and it was such a disaster they pulled it off the market the same year :)

PS. I'm not saying Apple is bad. I just like to remember this is a company that was perfectly sure a round-shaped mouse is a brilliant idea a few years ago ;)

:head_back::laugh_hard::iamded_lol::rofl::roflmao:

While tongue-in-cheek, most of that is probably true anyway.

I use Apple products at work and have friends & relatives who own every type of Apple product. I have none of my own, but I would consider an iMac or MacPro if they weren't so ridiculously priced. I have zero interest in the other stuff they make. I think they are overrated and overpriced, while not actually being bad.

I use GoPro cameras for work and personal life. I find it hard to believe that Apple could come up with a smaller, lighter & cheaper product that doesn't require being recharged every 5 minutes, and is actually any good. GoPro have so many different attachments & mounts for different applications, with Apple's reputation I don't see them replicating that. Yesterday for example I had a camera securely & easily attached to a mic stand overlooking the stage for an overhead view. You can preview the camera's footage via WiFi while standing on the floor, and no need for hi-tech expensive cranes, jibs or production gear. I don't think they're under too much of a threat from Apple. Plus Apple cameras would probably use their own version of MicroSD cards... :hmpf:

Regarding the GoPro 4, I got the silver edition (I also have a Hero 3 black & a Hero 2). It covers the 3 black + more but also has a built in LCD touch screen that is easier to work than the detachable ones. Because of that, it takes up less space & is lighter than both my others with their screens attached. Although, the different batteries and housings for each new release and so on isn't fun. And some of the accessories are expensive for what they are. And I wish they'd hurry up and fix the frame, I want a new one.

but also has a built in LCD touch screen that is easier to work than the detachable ones.

90% of the time I'm controlling my GoPro from the app running on my smartphone. The app is really well done, so I have a hard time imagining a scenario where I dump that in favor or a minuscule touchscreen on the camera itself. But then, I haven't taken a really thorough look at the GoPro 4, so I may be missing something.

Agree on the accessories, but you always have option to go with much cheaper knock-off accessories that are actually not far behind in terms of quality, from what I've seen. With Apple, I'm afraid anybody attempting a similar knock-off would get sued into smithereens.

You probably don't need it! The other pros are better low light and audio (as well as the usual size & frame rate upgrades and other features), but I personally wouldn't buy a 4 just to upgrade from a 3. For most people just doing home-made action shots, I don't think it's worth the extra cost, they'd probably be fine with the basic models.

I needed a 3rd camera, and I make good use of the screens so it was an easy choice. I'd get another if an additional camera seemed worthwhile.

The round mouse was terrible, but that was 1998 which was 16 years ago, and just slightly more than half the time between now and when the original Mac was released. :oh: Even still, I was shocked that they sacrificed usability and risked CTS to the point where it caused physical pain within a minute of trying it for the first time in a store.

Edited by m0dulo

The round mouse was terrible, but that was 1998 which was 16 years ago

Oh well, we can look into more recent history, too. Remember when Apple Maps was introduced, for instance? I do. At some point Australian authorities actually asked people not to use it because it almost got some folks killed. When Australians tell you something is deadly, you better listen ;)

Oh well, we can look into more recent history, too. Remember when Apple Maps was introduced, for instance? I do. At some point Australian authorities actually asked people not to use it because it almost got some folks killed. When Australians tell you something is deadly, you better listen ;)

LOL!! That's so true... I can't remember any of Apples competitors in any marked ever been declared as outright dangerous...

To the topic. It's very nice if the fruit company can push GoPro and it's competitors to make smaller, lighter cameras of the same or better quality. I just hope it doesn't affect their light sensitivity. Shrinking the size of cameras often do...

-ED-

I realized that everyone hates apple?!

Jesus christ.

Most Electronic devices do the same thing... for roughly the same price.

You buy a top end Samsung it'll do roughly the same as a top end iPhone. You buy a sony MP3 player it'll do roughly the same as an iPod. You buy a Canon camera it'll to the same thing as a Nikon. All for roughly the same price.

Top end tablets cost the same as each other. Top end phones cost the same as each other. Top end cameras cost the same as each other. Top end watches cost the same as each other. No one company sells for much cheaper or much more than their rivals as they all want to show some level of value juxtaposed with some level of exclusivity (to differing degrees).

Same thing goes for high end computers even. People stated that the new Mac Pro was overpriced... then a PC guy looked at building the same spec computer from retail parts... and it came out slightly more expensive than the Mac Pro. If you work on Macs buy one... if you don't then don't.

If people don't like Apple products don't buy them. Same as if you don't like any other brand then don't buy it. But do it for the right reason rather than just brand snobbery.

I've never had an iPhone bend... but then again I don't try and shove a large screen, flat, thin, electronic device into slim fitting jeans then complain that simple physics kicks in while you've been sat down and makes it bend. In other news... eating lots of fast food without exercise makes you fat.

Apple made an iffy mouse 16 years ago... I should know, the studio I worked for had them on our Macs. Instead of moaning about discomfort we did the groundbreaking thing of buying a different mouse. By the way... the new wireless mouse might be one of the nicest control devices I've ever used.

People sue people over the most stupid thing... and most companies will sue other companies to try and protect their products... and then the other company will counter-sue for some arbitrary reason... then they'll all agree somewhere in the middle. Who cares.

Buy the phone/camera/hairdryer/extreme sports based recording device you like because it works for you... regardless of who makes it.

Not forgetting... we're all on a forum about a plastic brick based construction toy that was cloned from another manufacturer and that simply got bigger and more successful therefore giving them dominant market share... they also had patents that protected their product... something I'm sure they happily exercised over the years.

I thought all this "I hate Apple or I hate Windows or I hate some other product or company" died out years ago, that is so 1990's. I buy and use the products I like and I hope other Mfg's get better, so my preferred products have to get better to keep up.

Viva Apple, viva Microsoft, viva Android... Everyone just get better, so I can have better, more fun technology.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I think if Apple makes action cam it will be stylish with good integration into their eco system. It could make use of their iWatch for the display and control. Maybe streaming video to Apple TV, etc.

Many people like Apple devices because Apple did all the hard work of integration for them. It's like buying a set from LEGO and following the instructions or asking for MOC instructions instead of trying to reverse engineer someone else's MOC yourself. There is a market for those who don't like or have the skills for that kind of challenge.

It is not just Apple Maps. My GPS tried to get me to drive through a farm field. It was good since my kids were in the car and it made a good example to show them not to blindly follow directions. :laugh:

Same thing goes for high end computers even. People stated that the new Mac Pro was overpriced... then a PC guy looked at building the same spec computer from retail parts... and it came out slightly more expensive than the Mac Pro. If you work on Macs buy one... if you don't then don't.

That's an unfair comparison, though; most complete systems - Apple, PC, or otherwise, cost less than if you go and buy all the components yourself for a number of reasons, including the fact that the companies are buying the parts in bulk, and can also cut profits on each part because they can capitalize on the fact that you're buying ALL the parts from them.

When you also compare high end tablets, the fact is you really do get more with a Samsung; more features, multi-tasking and drag and drop; someone could accomplish a lot more with a Samsung Note than an iPad... but I have neither, because neither one is worth the exorbitant cost when you can get a bigger Windows tablet for less (no, not a big fan of Windows either, but until I see a Surface like tablet running Linux, it's the most bang for the buck).

I'm not an Apple basher - I just don't own one, they ARE more expensive. They are TLG of the computer industry - premium prices for premium products. They offered me a Mac Mini at work, so I used one for about three months... and couldn't stand it. I don't understand why people think the UI is so great. Of course, at the same time, I don't use Windows either.

What I found out about all the little issues I had (like tweaking mouse acceleration and having windows snap to maximize screen space) was that people would actually pay money for utilities that should have been built into the OS... but that's what Apple's user base is like - they are accustomed to paying. Non standard chargers? No problem! I don't mind paying twice as much! Remember when people stood in line just to buy the same damn thing they already had, just with a white case?

So no, I won't buy Apple products - but that doesn't mean I don't realize they do make great products, and at least at one point were great innovators in design.

I do like Samsung better - but their high end stuff is just as, if not more, expensive these days, so I'm not likely to buy any but low-end stuff from them anyway.

Back on subject - Go Pros are great, and I think they've established themselves in their market. I hope competition can only mean good things, but I do think one of the strategies of a company like Apple is to announce something far ahead of time to get consumers to stop buying the other products... and most consumers are too dumb to ignore vaporware announcements. Give me a working prototype, and I'll believe it when I see it.

I buy and use the products I like and I hope other Mfg's get better, so my preferred products have to get better to keep up.

Bingo

I've been waiting to buy a GoPro. I've read an heard the wind dampening is an issue. That would be an issue with the some of the ways I would use. I would be interested in seeing an Apple version of a GoPro, only because I get the impression the GP is the best at the moment :classic: