firefly101

New Decals for Castle torso's

ED-209, its interesting I notice while yours are clearer on the image you have less color than the Printed ones. If you look at the Dagger part you can see, But yours do look like Lego Printed them, but HOW you got them printed when not many with Pads seem to print Lego Logo's. :-( Which is really silly since these are obviously custom.

there are other companies not related to lego and customizing that offer pad-printing service.

Or thereĀ“s still the possibility to build/buy yourself a pad-printing-machine. But still makes only sense if you print atleast a few and sell because else it gets too expensive.

I just wished I knew which company to go to if you know what I mean? Though Digital isn't bad if Pad printing is too much more.

Here are some pictures of me taking a Lego Great Helm and using Rustoleum self etching Primer. This stuff looks good and tough but more important is a VERY close match, not exact but has that Dirty Gray color that the Old Dark gray had as you can see in the pcitures with the Legs and Arms being the old Dark gray. Plus Self Etching should bond well with the plastic eating into it. I think I found my way around not being able to get Dark Gray Brickforge Helmets. lol

FLASH

2cifsw7.jpg

No Flash

33y0zr5.jpg

Where did you get those pad printed and what was the cost? Because isn't pad printing better and more Lego than the plastic printing?

As much as I love the print job on the figs I had done, it honestly wasn't a great experience. The quality is 100%, and the pricing was very reasonable (I had 10 of each design done.) But very poor communication, and it took months and months. So, some mixed feelings from me about the whole experience, but I would use the same printer again in a heartbeat - except that when I emailed for the next job I wanted done the price went up 30x higher with zero explination. I was still prepared to go ahead with the job, but I asked what had caused the price to go up, and got no reply. I've since sent a couple more emails but got no reply at all. From what I undertsand they don't do custom work at all any more, I guess it just isn't worth their time. So yeah, can't really recommend them sadly. :sceptic:

After that I've used Poppunkmunky. As I said previously, I've found them to be great to deal with and really helpful. And their pricing is very reasonable. :thumbup:

As to the issue of quality, a large part of it does come down to the printing technique. Pad printing is the traditional method, and is what official Lego parts are printed in. It's kind of like a printing press, you have to etch a seperate plate for each individual colour of ink used (which is why you'll notice Lego torsos are usually limited to only four or five colours), and this makes set-up costs expensive. The quality is better, and you can use non-standard inks like metallics, but cost is high unless you plan to do hundreds of identical figures. Also because you need a new plate for every single colour, a more complex/colourful design will cost more to produce. Actually running them is also a bit of a headache, it's much more "industrial".

The next best method in terms of quality is flatbed printing - fundamentally the same kind of idea as a home inkjet printer, but using special inks and it's of course built for physical objects. The print head sprays out combinations of CMYK ink which are layered together to make any colour you like, just like an inkjet. Often there's white ink, and transparent sealants and things too, and the inks are "baked on" with UV light, but it's all controlled in the printer. While the printers themselves are expensive, the individual prints are not. The downside is that there's generally a slightly raised effect, and you can't use things like metallics. The upside is that you can print in very small batches very cost effectively, and you can use as many colours as you like on one torso without increasing the costs. Because the technology is newer than pad printing, flatbeds are still getting better. I doubt they'd ever get quite as good as pad printer, but the top-end flatbeds now look much better than they did five years ago. The quality gap between flatbed and pad printer is getting smaller. So in my book, it's kind of a nessesary trade-off.

Well I checked with CitizenBrick and they wont do any logo that used Lego work so..... Weird since it isn't a copy

Not really weird at all - you've got to remember that the actual logos in the shields are still the intellctuas property of The Lego Group, regardless of whether we add belts and things. Whether it's an exact reproduction or is being sold comercially isn't the issue. We're all lucky that TLG have such a fan-friendly stance on the issue, but it's by their kindness that we have such latitude. They'd be within their rights to take legal action against anyone using all or part of their designs. And would probably be more likely to do so if there was money changing hands. So CitizenBrick are basically taking the position that they aren't willing to jeopardise their business by printing the designs. They'll print things that are 100% your own work, I'm sure.

ED-209, its interesting I notice while yours are clearer on the image you have less color than the Printed ones. If you look at the Dagger part you can see, But yours do look like Lego Printed them, but HOW you got them printed when not many with Pads seem to print Lego Logo's. :-( Which is really silly since these are obviously custom.

I had two different shades of brown in the original design, so I reduced the number of colours to save costs. As mentioned above, pad printing costs more with each individual colour.

Custom or not, they do contain Lego's Falcon logo. You'd need to find someone who offers a pad printing service and doesn't mind reproducing the logos. I don't know anyone who does that any more I'm afraid. Raminator often recommends Stein Drucker, have you tried asking them?

there are other companies not related to lego and customizing that offer pad-printing service.

Or thereĀ“s still the possibility to build/buy yourself a pad-printing-machine. But still makes only sense if you print atleast a few and sell because else it gets too expensive.

100% agree! :grin:

And Firefly, the painted greathelms look almost spot on! I think that may be your best bet for replicating the old grey.

Do you have a web link? Or Email for me. I don't know who he is. What prices are we usually looking at for a 3 color print from him based on average? I know that usually it depends on quantity but I am curious if its more than $5 for double side?

Is that Crusader printed by POP? If I may ask, how much did it cost?

Steindrucker's website (which I don't have a link to, but can found through Google) is all in German, so if you don't speak that, it'd be best to just email him (he does speak English), but you have to send the message through the "Kontakt" feature on his website, putting the address into a regular email service doesn't work for some reason. Also, when I mailed him, it went to my spam folder, so I got it a bit late, but he was quick in his response, polite, and helpful. I'm still weighing my options, but his service sounds pretty good.

Edited by Borador

website is steindrucker.com

there are no color limits for digital UV.

Price for a double sided torso is 3,50ā‚¬ (torso included).

If you need any help, just pm me.

Borador, Popmunkey has a Listing on Ebay for $25 for Front and back torso printing for 5 torsos or basically $27.50 for 10 torso's single sided. If you get quanity of one type you can get $2 per side. :-) I plan on getting 50 Black falcons made and some other other torsos listed in this thread for a tournament Propper Style! lol I figure the overall cost is about $300 for all the torsos I need printed and then Arms, Legs, and heads would be another $60-$100. But what makes it worth the cost is they are Custom and yet LOOK Lego style with exception of the Pad printing being better, but overall when you are using these figures at slight distance you cannot even tell, only a extreme closeups do you see the quality of Pad printing IMO. For displays these are perfect, and the coating on the torso's are TOUGH, basically plastic.

I am going with Doublesided as I had a Lego Dark AGE and only have the newer Torso's that are printed front and back, and I cannot see going back to single sided. Plus the old Crusader and Falcons cost about $1-$3 for a torso and much more for the complete figure, for $4 I get a Custom Falcon that looks like its part of the Kingdoms series which is what I am trying to blend in with. I don't think Lego anytime soon will release another series like the Kingdoms packages, especially now I think they are gearing up for a new Pirate line.

Personally myself I wish they made the Titan METAL color more gray and less black, and the silver more flat like the breastplates, because its too shiny and looks fake compared to the old GUN metal gray they use to use. So I use Black, and the Titan metal for Bad guys and the Old classic Dark Gray for good guys and ditched all the silver helmets I had, without the Bullet Helmet its a useless color for me to fairytale for me, and there are NO arms to match. lol

Ed-209. Would you be interested in selling one of your Noble Falcon figures? You mentioned you had 10 of each made and I only need one Duke for my falcons, otherwise I will have to print 5 torso's and I can use the cash to get some others made than 5 of the same when I only need one. Just the Torso is fine.

Please let me know.

Please keep the personal discussions to the PM system, or move to the BSTF section for trades and such (you'll need 100 posts to open a topic, though).

I've had my share d custom printers.

And I'm still looking for a printer who could make the best quality for a reasonable price.

Here is a picture of the customs. (Sorry for flash its dark here)

http://s10.postimg.org/udls2e6rt/image.jpg

I started out with a printed in denmark. His quality was great and low prices. But he could only print color on white torso's and slow reply on mail. He also stop printing.

Then I went to a guy in south afrika. Prints AMAZING! And awesome prices. But extreem slow in reply. Also he stop printing

Next I went to popmunkey. Little bit on the pricey side. Great quality printing. However printing is thick and you can feel them on the prints. Not lego like.

Next I orderd from minifig.me .

Wanted to try and make me happy but couldn't slow mail reply. Wrong color printing. Thick printing. And last Doesn't hold to it words.

Beside that I've contaced a few other printer oke in poland with extreem high prices. And another one in the netherlands wich never replied to any mails.

Overal seeing who offers printing service I would still pick popmunkey. But Im still looking for my perfect printer guy/girl

How many of those walls did you have made with the white tudor? I am trying to get some Corners made with tudor and white is the most realistic, why Lego used Red and Yellow is beyond me?

Those are some nice customs, Popmunkey has a new printer and should be able to do shields, maybe they will be able to do walls next? The newer corner panels are flatter than the old ones so.......

Ed-209. Would you be interested in selling one of your Noble Falcon figures?

I've PMed you.

I've had my share d custom printers.

And I'm still looking for a printer who could make the best quality for a reasonable price.

Here is a picture of the customs. (Sorry for flash its dark here)

I love the classic variants! :wub:

I hadn't noticed the Tudor wall panels until Firefly mentioned them - is that flute custom printed too?

How many of those walls did you have made with the white tudor? I am trying to get some Corners made with tudor and white is the most realistic, why Lego used Red and Yellow is beyond me?

Just for a splash of colour perhaps? There are some pictures floating around of some old prototype castle sets that used white Tudor panels, but that part never made it into any released sets. At least as far as I'm aware.

The corner parts would require printing on three sides, wouldn't they?

I think either tan or white would be good. If you're thinking of an updated version, I'd go with one of the newer panel types:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=60808

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=59349

Here is a decal sticker of one of the Horse Bardings, Opinions are welcomed. I am thinking maybe the front should be lowered a little to cover more of the chainmail?

2n8ol1x.png

2i7bvoj.png

Wow! Really impressive! I especially like the red & black dragon, and the wolfpack.

Its not water slide just a high quality sticker. I had someone print it up for me after I made the decal. I am thinking the front part of the cloth needs to be longer and bigger, I made it a little too short in front. But opinions are welcomed. I am trying to get Popmunkey to print panels.... But they dont seem to think there is interest! lol I may get stickers but even having a stencil made would be nice for the tudor look.

I think you are right about the front being lower to cover more of the chain mail. However, your work is awesome as is.

In the light of ED-209's brilliantly explained post about printing companies and intellectual property and whatnot...

Isn't poppunkmonkey completely disregarding all that with regards to money changing hands?

D

Not really because Lego is allowing it for personal use, They are just printing on a torso what the customer wants, if I sell the products for business then there is a problem. Technically Lego could prevent ANYTHING they made from being done, but they are not enforcing that policy. Lets not go there as to remove our access to custom torso's

Edited by firefly101