mostlytechnic

Review: 41062 Elsa’s Sparkling Ice Castle

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

Lego 41062 Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle

Lego managed to get a Frozen licensed set in the new wave of Disney Princess sets. However, I'm VERY surprised by the size. It's a $40 set and comes in a small Friends-style box (roughly 12"x12" size) - I almost didn't see it on the shelf when I was looking for it because it's so small. I mean, I know it's only $40 but it's a friggin' CASTLE. And why did Lego only make this a smaller set? If they'd made a $200 Frozen castle they still would have sold every one they could produce. They made big Harry Potter Hogwarts sets and those sure sold. And have you SEEN the toys in the Frozen section of stores? HUGE playsets for Barbie-sized dolls. But I suppose I'm getting the cart before the horse here, reviewing before I've even opened the box. So.....

Name: Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle

Set Number: 41062

Pieces: 292

Price: $39.99

Minifigs: 3

Theme: Disney Princess

Year of Release: 2015

Links: Bricklink Peeron Brickset

The Box

15588781754_79fa33a4e0_z.jpg

The front of the box is standard Lego fare, other than the large Anna and Elsa in the bottom right corner. Oh, and surprisingly, nowhere on the box is the normal minifig lineup. The only way to know what characters are included is to look at the set pictures.

The 1:1

16185319836_19fb4fc05f_z.jpg

This set uses one of the minidolls as the actual size sample. That's probably not a bad choice since the minidolls are not nearly as well known as a minifig.

The Back

16210383242_682d80a117_z.jpg

On the back, the play features are shown in insets around a rear view of the castle. Like Friends sets, you also have an array of play accessories.

The Seals

16209313701_2798ed53ed_z.jpg

Is this standard on 2015 sets or is this specific to this set? I've never seen 3 tape seals on a set. Even huge modulars or Technic sets only have 2, so 3 on a set this small seems excessive. Perhaps Lego expects people to try to steal the dolls? If so, why bother with extra tape? A tiny pocketknife makes quick work of the tape so the third strip doesn't even slow you down.

The Contents

16211184715_02d4928906_z.jpg

In the box are 2 instruction booklets (bent), a white plate, a sticker sheet, and 3 numbered bags of parts.

The Stickers

16025091489_193272b6b7_z.jpg

These are very hard to photograph since they're shiny. I mean polished chrome shiny. Those dark lines across the corners are not really there, they're reflections of my ceiling.

The Manual Backs

16185324266_6987b689c3_z.jpg16209316991_2a62654a2b_z.jpg

The back of one booklet has a Friends "Win!" girl. The other has an ad for the Lego Disney Princess website. That site is SO girly there's even sparkles following your mouse cursor around. So I didn't stay too long or look too deeply.

The Sample Page

15591345453_7087fe9417_z.jpg

The interior pages of the manuals are on lavender backgrounds. It's standard Lego instructions with part callouts and insets when needed.

The Build, 1

16025375607_27c28bedef_z.jpg

The first thing you build is Anna, but I'm not showing that yet. Then you build this little picnic scene. It's tiny but effective, and nice to have something not icy in the set since the movie has the "In Summer" song for Olaf. I'm curious what's in that sandwich though - green and pink? After the picnic is the Olaf build, but I'll save him for later too.

The Build, 2

16025096329_dbb660bac3_z.jpg

Next is this small sleigh. It has an amazing amount of style for something so small. The curved front and decorative whips on the back make it look sleigh-like instead of blocky. But come on, it already had pink accents, are the pink flowers really necessary? Technically, yes, so the whips can mount to them, but still, it's just over-girly for my taste.

The Build, 3

15591347753_f6141dcacd_z.jpg

The sleigh needs a ramp to help it rocket along (for a couple inches, at least). The ramp starts like this, with a hidden lime green jumper plate that gets a cookie on it. I couldn't remember anything in the movie like that, so I asked my wife and she couldn't either. A hidden cookie under a hill?

The Build, 4

16210392892_1a972ab671_z.jpg

After putting the tilting 2x8 onto the base and adding decorations, this is the result. A lime green bucket holding a pair of ice skates, a flower (in the snow, really?), green and white round studs that I assume are supposed to be grass and snow?

The Build, 5

16211192415_46955aa41c_z.jpg

The sleigh looks huge sitting on top of the tiny hill, but it actually works pretty well. Assuming you're on a smooth surface like a table, you can give the sleigh a little nudge and it'll shoot down the ramp and a few inches across the table. The unevenness of the slopes vs the blue tiles holds the sleigh in line well, and the bumps in the slopes don't seem to hamper anything.

The Build, 6

16033441957_b3568a291a_z.jpg

Moving on to bag 2.... man that's a lot of colors in this base already. And I'm already starting to feel like there's trans-blue cheese thrown around randomly.

The Build, 7

16031911910_373c9bd9b7_z.jpg

Continuing (and rotating), some steps and even more colors thrown in. Magenta? In Elsa's ice palace? I sure don't remember any of that...

The Build, 8

15596870014_ff08e849e8_z.jpg

Wait, seriously? An ice cream stand in the castle? That is what the magenta is for? I kinda actually like the looks of it, but it doesn't fit the set.

The Build, 9

16218470172_fb4cc25fb6_z.jpg

Spinning back around, now there's a light aqua spiral staircase added along with a roof. This is where I'm really starting to wonder about Lego's thinking. Those light aqua stairs, and the light aqua 1x4 tiles, are exclusive to this set (as far as I know... it's possible some other 2015 sets use them, but nothing in Bricklink yet). Seems expensive (to produce) to me, when there's no huge reason to need them. Another blue for the tiles would have been fine. And the spiral stairs? Really? Elsa's castle is KNOWN for staircases, but NOT spiral ones! There should be a huge straight ice stairway out front or sweeping curved stairs inside, but not a spiral.

The Build, 10

16217402721_1f812948f9_z.jpg

And now we finish the tree. Again, why? Where is there a tree next to Elsa's castle? And so weird... with ice hanging from green branches that have both snow and flowers on them. Huh? Did Lego watch a different movie?

The Trans-Light Blue Bits

16031916230_6982f4a00b_z.jpg

Before looking at the upper level, a brief pause to look at some other parts. Here's the 1x2x5 brick in trans-light blue and the 2x4x6 rock panel in glitter trans-light blue. Do those look like the same blue to you? And again, ANOTHER unique part for this set. Why do those rock panels need to be glitter, when Lego made the same panel in trans light blue in 2013 and 2014 for SuperHeroes, Friends, and Chima sets? Apparently Disney REALLY wanted glitter, because there are a bunch of trans-glitter parts in the new Princess sets. There's trans-neon green cones for Jasmine; Ariel, Jasmine, and Sleeping Beauty all get glitter trans purple cones. So there's a bunch of new glitter parts for 2015.

The Build, 11

16033170289_eb565db930_z.jpg

Back to building - time to add the upper level. We get a bedroom with a decent bed, although stickered.

The Build, 12

16219273955_4930c48c11_z.jpg

The other side of the bedroom has some little accessories. Perfume and a crown I assume?

The Build, 13

16031919170_128962fb26_z.jpg

Time for walls and a roof. I like the small white macaroni bricks for a wall, but what's with the lavender fence piece in the center? I'll grant that it looks nice (a common white fence would have been a little boring), but it's ANOTHER unique piece to this set.

The Build, 14

16218475992_d5e623fb1e_z.jpg

The very top of the castle is built separately. Not a whole lot to say here other than why is there a torch in an ICE CASTLE?

The Finished Castle

16033173819_cfa024bc15_z.jpg

Once the roof is put on, the castle is done. And that big purple star on top says everything to me about the styling. It just doesn't look like modern Lego to me; it looks like this should be an old Belville fairy tale set from around 1999. If I saw a photo of just the castle with no figs (or picnic blanket), I'd assume that's what it was.

The Oops, Not Actually Done Yet Accessories

15599424213_b38fdbd322_z.jpg

At the end, there's a few bits left to add. There are these dark purple skis (yup, another unique part) in the lower level. Let me tell you, they're a pain to get into that location, at least with my big man hands.

More Accessories

16219277995_31f546c692_z.jpg

The top level gets a stickered book. The sticker has a nice castle image on it that is, while not quite exactly the castle from Disney World, VERY Disney-looking. I actually had to google and see if that's the castle they use in their logo. Nope, but it's the same style.

The Leftovers

16217411031_b1f63210b7_z.jpg

There are a LOT of extra parts in this. That's almost 10% of the part count in the set right there! They are pretty useful overall though. It's great to have an extra "carrot" and brown "branch" for Olaf, since you know those will get lost as he's played with.

The Figs

16193395306_b63cefa181_z.jpg16211181565_5544a5bee3_m.jpg

Finally, the reason for the set. Let's face it, the castle set is just an excuse to make these figures. And they're GREAT. I mean just fantastic. The print on them is just such a good match to the real characters. Compare to the cartoon version from the front of the box. Elsa's hair is a little darker than the cartoon, but overall these are just dead on. If I had to pick out a flaw, it's the "spell" Elsa is holding. It's too bad she can only shoot it forward with her arm down like that. It'd be nice to have the end of the splash part bent 90 degrees so she can have her arm forward and the spell shooting forward too. Oh, one other thing. The minidoll heads don't press down tight to the body like minifig heads do. There's still exposed neck. It looks nice, but it means Elsa's cape can swing around.

The Fig Backs

16033455967_13ea3820f3_z.jpg

Elsa's cape is glittery on the back and you can see the removable bow in her hair.

The Full Set

16218481522_9d839b2459_z.jpg

One final issue. When you put Anna on the sleigh, her cape doesn't have enough flexibility (since it's a wraparound kind) and so it folds out funny. That's why on the back of the box it shows her standing on the back of the sleigh with Elsa in the seat. Edit: How on earth did I forget to comment on those orange flowers to each side of the castle? I'm pretty sure Elsa did NOT have any flowers blooming outside her castle!

The Conclusion

Hm. I really wanted to like this set, but I just can't quite bring myself to. It feels like Lego pulled a random castle design from the files then redid it into white and trans blue to look icy and allow a Frozen tie in set. The figs are great, but the castle isn't. I guess the real castle in the movie would be a boring set and this one has play features, but it just is too different for my taste.

The Ratings

Value: 7/10 - $40 for less than 300 parts is high (especially when so many of the parts are tiny, but on the other hand there's a LOT of rock panels and 1x2x5 trans blue panels), but the figs help save it.

Design: 4/10 - Not one of Lego's best. Not as bad as the lows in the 90s, but not a great set.

Minifigs: 10/10 - Possibly even a 12/10. They ARE the reason to buy the set .

Playability: 8/10 - There are a bunch of play features, but they actually detract from the design, so I had to knock off a couple points.

Parts: 7/10 - A bunch of impractical unique parts (how often do you need dark purple skis or a lavender fence piece?) but also a bunch of nice parts if you wanted to make your own icy scene.

Overall: 7/10 - A great bunch of figs, but I'd recommend not bothering with the manuals. Just use the parts to build your own castle that's better.

Two of my daughters are building this as we speak. I agree the design is a lot smaller than I would have liked, but they're loving it. No question the figures are the real draw here. And at 6 and almost five years old they're doimg a good job building so far. At least for the 4-6 range in my house, this set is a home run.

Thanks for the great review, Mostlytechnic!

I managed to get two sets for my twin girls for Christmas, and would have to agree with your ratings (the Anna and Elsa figs are indeed excellent)

Very nice review, mostlytechinc! Once I saw this set I was interested in it for the colours and pieces...thanks for this review to shed more light onto it!

Isn't getting parts in new colors a good thing? It is a shame there is only this one set, I think TLG could make a whole subtheme out of Frozen. I do agree that they overuse lavender and magenta, I don't see why every girl set has to have these sort of colors instead of what would be accurate to the source material .

Isn't getting parts in new colors a good thing? It is a shame there is only this one set, I think TLG could make a whole subtheme out of Frozen. I do agree that they overuse lavender and magenta, I don't see why every girl set has to have these sort of colors instead of what would be accurate to the source material .

Sure, new colors are good. But cramming a bunch of oddball ones into a single set where they don't even make sense just seems financially unwise for Lego. I'd rather have seen a larger set than light aqua spiral staircase parts. Or lavender tiny fences. Lego made the stairs in dark purple last year for Rapunzel's Tower, and those probably would have been ok here. Or make them in a more useful color like WHITE.

Thanks for the review mostlytechnic. I too wish they had done a real castle for this set, it certainly deserved it. My sons and I figure they could have used the old rock monster mold from Rock Raiders in white for the missing snow beast. I will pick it up though for the figs and unique pieces.

Thanks for the review!

I have the same opinion about the design, looks like Belville.

I bought it on Legostore Orlando December 30th. It was impressive. My wife saw them putting on shelf, 8 or 10 boxes. She ran and grabbed the last one! The girls faces around it was indescribable, mix of ecstasy and afraid to loose it. It happened in less than 2 minutes.

My 7 yo girl didn't want it. She likes the dresses but hates the movie. Prefers Lego Movie.

But my 2 yo girl who never saw the movie grabbed it for good, and we bought it.

Lego will sell it like water, but I do not understand why a set so small. It is the WORST SET DESIGN since the introduction of Lego Friends. My 7 yo has more than 50 Lego friends minifigures, all the Lego fiends stores and concluded that the castle had a terrible design. She is 7!!

Let's be honest, Lego should have released this sets months before this Christmas and is loosing a perfect opportunity to sell a decent set, with much more pieces. I am wondering if they are going to make another set with the same characters.

At the end,. It is just for the minifigures.

When I first saw the pictures, I didn't realize that this set had so much color barf going on in it. :sick: Also, there is a bunch of stuff that does not fit in with the movie, and it is pricey. The minifigures are nice, but no Kristoff or Sven. :hmpf_bad: I thought about getting this, but this review is pushing me towards no.

Yep, my family all thinks they should have made a bigger set, added figs, and just been printing money. This feels massively rushed into production. Which is weird, the other princess sets that just came out look worlds better.

I wish Elsa had more of a white hairpiece rather than blonde. But it could be worse. Not a bad set overall, although Olaf doesn't look right without the twigs on his head. Anna is a really nice and accurate fig.

The review is very well done. Thanks!

I don't know the movie. My key question is whether the bricks in the set will allow to build my own snow/ice creations.

Now, with "trans-glitter" being part of the design approach I am not so sure.

Can those who have already bought it tell me: can trans-glitter be used as "transparent with snow particles" or is it just terrible? I cannot really tell from the review pic above.

I think the trans-glitter blue panels can be icy or snowy just fine. I'm sure that's WHY they used them for this set. Now, if you're looking for realism (like the photos in your sig seem to be), it might be tougher. But I've been thinking about using those big glittery panels to make a waterfall-type scene.

I'm literally of the exact opposite opinion to OP here. I love the structure and the parts (this is a fantastic little parts pack that I'll be snagging more of when I find it again)...but I've no use for the figures (not a big Disney Princess fan).

It's all about the parts. This set is freaking amazing! :D

Well, the good news for you is you're in luck whenever you find sets, since the figs sell for a good bit of money :) Right now the bricklink value of the 3 figs is about $30!

I think the trans-glitter blue panels can be icy or snowy just fine. I'm sure that's WHY they used them for this set. Now, if you're looking for realism (like the photos in your sig seem to be), it might be tougher. But I've been thinking about using those big glittery panels to make a waterfall-type scene.

The guys over in the historic forum will kill me if my MOCs start to glitter :laugh:

I'll take a closer look when I see the set in a shop (and, as I understand, I can sell the minifigs for the price of the set...).

Very nice review indeed and I also can't wait for the release of this set. It will be a superb wonderful addition to the LEGO Disney Princess theme.

There is a very simple reason for the flowers and green-leaved trees; you should remember from the movie it was actually summer when Elsa set of the eternal winter…

The orange flowers do bother me, from a design point of view; I would have liked it better if they were a pink/purple/blue/white color. Same goes for the leafy bits; they could have used the pink/purple ones they are gonna use in the Elves sets.

It would have been fantastic if they had given us WHITE leafy bits (like snow covered branches)! I'm sure loads of us could use those in our MOCs!

Frozen-Movie-Review-Video.jpg

Edited by Bennemans

Great review! I definitely agree, the minidolls are too awesome and are definitely a must-have. I love all the extra pieces from any set, some of them go on my phone case. :blush:

There is a very simple reason for the flowers and green-leaved trees; you should remember from the movie it was actually summer when Elsa set of the eternal winter…

True, but all around her ICE CASTLE it is all winter. So why are there non-winter bits in this set? Doesn't make sense. The picnic is because they wanted a mini-vignette for Olaf to fit into, but the rest of the green and flowers don't make sense.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten other sets recently with three pieces of tape on them.

Cool, good to know. Was wondering but haven't remembered to look when I'm at a store recently.

Very nice review indeed and I also can't wait for the release of this set. It will be a superb wonderful addition to the LEGO Disney Princess theme.

Thanks for the FP, but "a lovely sweet review?" I thought I bashed this set pretty hard :blush:

This seems to be one of those sets that LEGO really should have released a month before Christmas, it likely then would have been toy of the year 2014,

I'm trusting there is something else going on behind the scenes because this should have been a huge set and released in November of 2014 at the latest. Maybe we will see more and better Frozen sets when the post-Christmas consumer spending wave hits.

Edited by m0dulo