RedRoundRobot

Controlling Power Functions with EV3 and iPad

I am a big fan of controlling those little Power Functions motors in every way possible ( and I like making apps :) ), and with that in mind I created this lovely iPad remote that connects to the EV3 and with it’s help and the two well known IR sensors ( PFMate and IRLink ) controls Power Functions motors ( and EV3 or NXT motors ). This is a little demo of it in action:

And explained in words, starting from the left:

• NXT motor connected to Port A
  • EV3 motor connected to Port B
  • Small PF motor connected to channel 3 and to the blue connector on the IR Receiver on the left ( on top of the battery box ). The EV3 sends the IR signal through the IRLink sensor ( connected to port 3 on the EV3 ). The power in this setup comes from port D on the EV3, going through a x1676 Conversion Cable + extension wire ( 8886 or 8871 ) to the battery box, and then to the IR Receiver. Of course the power to the motor can also come straight from the battery box ( with batteries : ) and no other conversion , extension wires...). It really isn’t a good idea to power so many motors from one EV3 port, I was short on battery boxes so…
  • XL motor connected to channel 1 and red connector of the IR Receiver on the right ( top of the battery box ). IR signal received from IRLink ( connected to port 3 on EV3 )
  • XL motor connected to channel 4 and red connector of the right IR Receiver. IR signal received from PFMate ( connected to port 2 on EV3 )
  • the commands can be recorded and played back ( even in reverse )
  • all motors can be powered at the same time ( use different EV3 ports!, or battery boxes with batteries directly! ) - it can handle 16 motors ( 2 screens )
  • of course control speed, direction, label buttons, motors, save remote... and even a servo motor option for EV3/NXT motors.

And here is a short video with it put to good use with a 42006, 3 motors and IRLink :) :

The app can be found here: https://itunes.apple...d921365042?mt=8

There is also a version for the NXT ( it is actually my initial app PFremote ), but that one requires a server app ( MAC, PC or Android ) to act as a bridge between iPad and NXT ( not complicated, but not as convenient as a direct connection to the EV3 ). The EV3 WiFi came in very handy to make a direct connection to the brick ( YES ! :) ).

Edited by RedRoundRobot

Very nicely done. It's a pity the iPad does not have an IR feature. In contrast, most Samsung tablets do have IR, and you can turn them into remotes for your TV or anything compatible. In such case, I presume you could use the Samsung to control the Lego IR directly and no need for the EV3, correct? (You still need to port your APP to Android but that's not unsurmountable). That is, until Apple 'wakes up' and starts putting more 'features/technology' in their hardware ...

Edited by DrJB

That is, until Apple 'wakes' up and starts putting more 'features/technology' in their hardware...

Ha ha ha ha. There'll be longer pneumatic cylinders from TLG before that happens.

Very nicely done. It's a pity the iPad does not have an IR feature. In contrast, most Samsung tablets do have IR, and you can turn them into remotes for your TV or anything compatible. In such case, I presume you could use the Samsung to control the Lego IR directly and no need for the EV3, correct? (You still need to port your APP to Android but that's not unsurmountable).

Thanks. I am glad you like it :classic:

Actually I've made the app for Android a few months ago. This is a little video demo of it in action on a Galaxy Tab 2 ( 7" ) :

It has the same name ( PFremote ) you can find it here in Google Play: https://play.google....fremoteGP&hl=us

I hope I have the time to improve it. It works good as it is, but I want to add some features to it ( recording & playback comes to mind first ).

Edited by RedRoundRobot