Jim

[TC6] Technic SBrick Contest - Information Topic

I don't understand why the number of motors is so important.

My take on this would be "Use the 4 channels of the SBricks on at least 4 different remote controlled (motorized) functions "

If every function takes one motor or more motors or if one motor controls a gearbox to multiplex functions ... who cares?

The whole point of the contest is to utilize the functions of an SBrick. One motor and a gearbox does nothing more than what we can do with basic Technic now. An SBrick can control 4 motors, so the contest calls for the use of 4 motors.

'nuff said.

This isn't directed at you, but others: Every single contest, the purpose is crystal clear. Why do so many people try to make the contest something it's not?

Edited by rollermonkey

Quick question - if each motor controls a separate axis of motion does this count as separate function?

Yes.

If there is a gearbox can it be switched manually? So I can have 4 + 4 functions in total? operated by 4 motors?

Additional manual functions are allowed, so this pounds fine. Again, the intent is to use all 4 outputs of the SBrick.

So is a full RC gearbox is allowed ?

Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but it sounds ok.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but it sounds ok.

I mean having one of the four motor shift the gearbox so I can have 3+3 functions. What about 3rd party rope/string?

I will go through all questions and update the rules tomorrow.

3rd party strings and rubber hoses are okay!

I mean having one of the four motor shift the gearbox so I can have 3+3 functions.

This is already answered right in the original rule post. A motorized shifting gearbox is fine.

Okay, I have been thinking and this sounds about right:

• You need to utilize 4 output ports of the IR Receivers (not counting LEDs)
  • This means you need to use 4 motors
  • Exception 1: you can multiplex multiple motors on a single output (for driving for example, when you need more torque)
  • Exception 2: a constantly running compressor
  • Pneumatics are allowed, but only when controlled via motors (no manual switching levers, it is an SBrick contest, not a pneumatic contest)
  • LEDs are allowed, but don't count as a function
  • Other manual functions like opening doors are allowed
  • Gearboxes are allowed, as long as the previous rules are met
  • 3rd party strings and/or hoses are permitted
  • If you already own an SBrick you can use it (as long as you can demonstrate the functions)

I will update the rules in the first topic. Let me know if there are any grounded objections or questions.

1. Constantly running compressor is powered by 5th motor independently via switch?

2. Home made stickers?

3rd party strings and/or hoses are permitted

What about 3rd party rubber bands?

And one more question: after publishing completed MOC to entry topic - is it allowed to share its photos in Facebook/anywhere else or I should wait till the end of contest?

Edited by Rascko

3rd party rubber bands is okay too.

You can share your creation before the contest ends. Please mention it's for this contest :wink:

1. Constantly running compressor is powered by 5th motor independently via switch?

2. Home made stickers?

1. Yup. Or via an SBrick output (if you are using two SBricks).

2. Sure!

So

it needs to be a MOC or can it be a MOD?????

also if you have a gearbox for driving like 7 speed+ revers, does it also counts as a function if it is Remote Control?

Needs to be a MOC!

Not sure what you mean with the gearbox?!

Not sure what you mean with the gearbox?!

so you have different speeds for driving like in a manual car like revers, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rd, 5th al remote controled shifting

Edited by TheNextLegoDesinger

so you have different speeds for driving like in a manual car like revers, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rd, 5th al remote controled shifting

It has already been stated that a motorized gearbox is OK.

"Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously)"

Clarification: can I adapt a current WIP to fit the contest restrictions and submit that? Or does this have to be something entirely new?

Can I reinvent from the ground up an old technic studded lego set to studless beams and power functions?, So from old school to new school. The set I'm thinking of is the Set 8439-1 Front End Loader, No more pneumatics but all actuators and rc. for 4 functions. Or does it have to be a completely new moc?.

Can I reinvent from the ground up an old technic studded lego set to studless beams and power functions?, So from old school to new school. The set I'm thinking of is the Set 8439-1 Front End Loader, No more pneumatics but all actuators and rc. for 4 functions. Or does it have to be a completely new moc?.

It has be stated that it cant be mod. It must be new moc. I would like to see that creation of yours, though :)

So constantly running motors separate of the IR/Sbrick are ok, I plan to use this for a fake engine.

This is not one of the exceptions Jim listed. He didn't say any constantly running motor was OK, just one for a compressor and then only if the other motorized functions were autovalves. Based on the posted rules I would say a motorized fake engine is not allowed. Why not just connect it to the drive motors?

This is a tough one. I think if it is really "reinvented from the ground up" then it is a new model, not a mod, and would be allowed. Probably best not to say that it is a rebuilt old set, but inspired by an old set.

This is not one of the exceptions Jim listed. He didn't say any constantly running motor was OK, just one for a compressor and then only if the other motorized functions were autovalves. Based on the posted rules I would say a motorized fake engine is not allowed. Why not just connect it to the drive motors?

This is a tough one. I think if it is really "reinvented from the ground up" then it is a new model, not a mod, and would be allowed. Probably best not to say that it is a rebuilt old set, but inspired by an old set.

Well said! And agreed!

"Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously)"

Clarification: can I adapt a current WIP to fit the contest restrictions and submit that? Or does this have to be something entirely new?

If your WIP has been published, it's not allowed. If nobody has seen it, than you are good to go!

I just might have thought of a cool idea. Or, better said, I have thought of a cool idea, and I hope I can get it to work. And it "ordinarily" has four functions. No gearboxes. Now I hope that the motors have enough power (I don't have L or servo motors, so it's M or XL). Also strengthening the drivetrains properly will be a challenge, because the first MLCAD experiment showed things have to fit in a tight space.

I think I'll open my topic soon :)

Edited by Erik Leppen

Are non lego rubberband allowed? :3

Already answered :wink:

(yes)

Welcome to EB!

Just to be 101% sure, more than one motor for any function is not allowed? For example 2 xl motors for driving.