AyliffeMakit

Lego Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin (Video game discussion)

So he told me that he can't reveal spoilers because he is a game journalist and they aren't allowed to reveal spoilers and whatnot but he did say something very interesting about the game itself, he told me that it is the best LEGO game ever. (Sorry for the double post)

Edited by coolcab1

Wait a second...

What's Skales doing in the villains line-up? I thought the Serpentine finally made peace with everyone!

Edited by Master_Data

Wait a second...

What's Skales doing in the villains line-up? I thought the Serpentine finally made peace with everyone!

If the game plays along with the show's timeline then we could see Skales, Acidicus, etc. as they operated in the earlier seasons. Before, you know :)

Sorry for the double post, but the mask looks really cool. Also i'll excited to see a skeleton other than Nuckle and Kruncha used

Edited by LegendsOfNinjago

Sorry for the double post, but the mask looks really cool. Also i'll excited to see a skeleton other than Nuckle and Kruncha used

I'm really curious as to why they chose Frakjaw, as Wyplash technically would be the one leading the Skullkin now that Kruncha and Nuckal are gone, and Samukai being POOFED and all.

Perhaps dark Ronin enticed the Serpentine with power etc, and they gave up their plans to be good. It'll be interesting, to say the least. Now what would really be cool is if the villains all fight each other at first and then choose to team up...

And what about Chen?

He is in the cursed realm isn't he?

The game seems to start off with the ToE story arc and eventually branches off to Ronin's story,, as far as I can tell from the leaked game footage....

Oh, and I REALLY hope this comes to iOS... Most LEGO video games do, though, so fingers crossed!

Edited by legozebra

"Stolen Armor", eh? We know that Stone Armor can shape-shift, and Ronin is likely a Samurai, so it would make sense. His ability to steal memories... Lu, Ed and Edna explanation? Would make sense, I'll post it in the TV thread.

I bought the game.

Here are some initial thoughts.

I do not like how you are thrown into the game, especially for someone who hasn't played a generic Lego Game in a while.

The music is not from the show, but is still quite beautiful.

Kai's twisted (in praise) retelling of the Tournament of Elements is a nice touch, especially for a tutorial level.

Nearly every important character in the show so far is playable in the game (including Toxikita and Invizable from Ultra Agents).

Ronin R.E.X. is referred to as "Ronin Reks"...

The jokes are horrid.

The voice actors are subpar, however they are growing on me.

Ronin IS a demolitions expert

The Obsidian Glaive can rewrite memories as well.

Nearly ever object you interact with is made of Lego. This includes Ed and Edna's glorious chrome colored Jalopy (bless you for letting us reverse engineer this masterpiece, Lego).

The hub world/map is small with micro models of each location you go to appearing on the map as you unlock them. This includes Spinjago Village and Kryptarium Prison.

Any more questions? I'll be glad to provide them. I have yet to beat the game so I don't have answers to everything.

Could you take a picture of the Jalopy? I kind of want to see how they managed to translate that model into brick form.

Here's a pic of the good 'ol Jalopy:

lvl_02_03_junkyard_141016_180317.png?l.r=-1188850074

Apologies for it not being full view, this is from LEGO's own website.

I would assume the bends are meant to be done by using Technic click-hinge piece and black tubing.

EDIT: Seen the ending. Ronin was apparently in it for money, but I won't go any further into "spoilers" than that. They also reveal what Dareth has been doing with the Helmet of Shadows, needless to say it's hilarious.

The ending can be found

Edited by Mandate

Another something interesting is that Ronin is the one who delivered Zane to Chen's Island. Which, as Mandate has stated was primarily for money. Will update if that bit of the story gets expanded upon.

Could you take a picture of the Jalopy? I kind of want to see how they managed to translate that model into brick form.

The image that Mandate has posted is as good as it's gonna get for now. You can view the rest of the Jalopy from this angle in the game, and needless to say, I'm sad it hasn't been officially released yet.

I bought the game.

Here are some initial thoughts.

I do not like how you are thrown into the game, especially for someone who hasn't played a generic Lego Game in a while.

The music is not from the show, but is still quite beautiful.

Kai's twisted (in praise) retelling of the Tournament of Elements is a nice touch, especially for a tutorial level.

Nearly every important character in the show so far is playable in the game (including Toxikita and Invizable from Ultra Agents).

Ronin R.E.X. is referred to as "Ronin Reks"...

The jokes are horrid.

The voice actors are subpar, however they are growing on me.

Ronin IS a demolitions expert

The Obsidian Glaive can rewrite memories as well.

Nearly ever object you interact with is made of Lego. This includes Ed and Edna's glorious chrome colored Jalopy (bless you for letting us reverse engineer this masterpiece, Lego).

The hub world/map is small with micro models of each location you go to appearing on the map as you unlock them. This includes Spinjago Village and Kryptarium Prison.

Any more questions? I'll be glad to provide them. I have yet to beat the game so I don't have answers to everything.

Could you (within spoilers of course) do a quick recap of the story up to where you are now? I am still quite confused as to who is Ronin, how he took Zane etc...

Could you (within spoilers of course) do a quick recap of the story up to where you are now? I am still quite confused as to who is Ronin, how he took Zane etc...

I will recap the story in full once I beat the game's storyline.

That's strange... So Ronin is actually more significant than we initially thought.

And hopefully more so this Summer. I've always been a sucker for the bounty hunter type character and I can't wait to see his portrayal in the show.

EDIT: Spoilers Ahoy!

The game starts out with Kai retelling what happened on Chen's Island (these are the tutorial levels). Jay calls him out, after Kai claims Jay loses his pants.

Dareth walks in with new students he said he'd bring. Turns out their disguised Ronin goons and they force the Ninja outside. Ronin (in complete Oni Samurai gear) then bombs a cliff side, practically urging the Ninja to follow him.

After catching up with him, Ronin steals a few years of the Ninja's lives (they remember up to the end of the pilot episode of the TV series) with the Obsidian Glaive. Ronin escapes in Ronin R.E.X.

Sensei Wu tells them to meet a man at Kryptarium Prison who has some knowledge of the Obsidian Glaive.

This man tells them to drink a 'Tea of Insight' to locate each weapon. They find the berry needed to brew the tea, and find out that they need to go to each of the locations the Golden Weapons were located and find their corresponding Obsidian Weapons.

The Ninja do just that (the only interesting thing here that happens is that Zane remembers being sold to Chen by Ronin. Beyond that, this secondary plot piece is not expanded further). Ronin uses the Obsidian Glaive on the Serpentine to distract the Ninja on their journeys. It is here that Sensei Wu reveals that the Obsidian Glaive can rewrite memories as well.

The leftover Nindroids go haywire (for no reason at all) and the Ninja save the day (with help from Nya. You get to pilot the Samurai Mech in this level).

Ronin (having now donned his gear he wears in the set, forever discarding the Oni Samurai Gear) eventually runs into them and shows off his new toy. It is a pure elemental power called the Lightning Forge (it's a blue jewel)

Sensei urges them to find the Fire and Ice Forges so that Ronin can't have a full set. Kai, Zane and Wu find the Fire Forge. Jay, Cole and Dareth (complete with 'Zoojitzu' animal styles and the ability to 'communicate' with animals) find the Ice Forge. The Ninja recover the Forges but Dareth screws up, and practically gives Ronin the forges.

Sensei then tells the Ninja that Ronin needs and artifact called the Primal Fulcrum in order to use the Forges. To do this, they find Lloyd and Misako who with the latter's help recovers the artifact. In an attempt to destroy, the Ninja are put into elemental bindings by the Fulcrum. Misako betrays them. Ronin reveals having rewritten her memories. Lloyd angrily attacks Ronin, destroying the Obsidian Glaive in the process, thus restoring Misako's memories.

Ronin heads to Chen's Island to activate the Fulcrum. The Ninja arrive just in time to watch him activate it. They are sent to an unspecified dimension where Ronin powers himself with the elemental forges, builds an Elemental Golem around him, and tosses the Ninja around the dimension.

for the small remainder of the story, including an explanation as to what happened with the helmet of Darkness.

The... end...

Dang this game sucked.

Besides the music, which was subpar, the game was just "wash, rinse, repeat." (i.e. Do this, Sensei tells you what to do next, do the next thing, Sensei tells you what to do next... etc.)

The characters are ruined by shoddy voice acting (it's pronounced "Nee-Ya" not "Nigh-Ya" you nincompoops).

The levels are very straight forward, but when it comes to special abilities, nothing is explained outside of the Ninja's abilities (the Constrictai, and the Skeletons, all of which you can earn have special do-hickeys that you can use. Nothing explains that, though). Which characters you need to choose are unclear for all of the extra tasks and characters you need to accomplish/earn in free-play mode. Speaking of which, toggling between characters that you need for free-play is cluttered due to how many lists of characters (all of which have not context as to their abilities) you need to go through.

The timing and frame rate of the game is also atrocious.

The Ninja's special abilities are meh.

There is nothing cool or fun about this game.

*sigh*... if you do have any more questions, I'll be glad to take them.

Edited by Penkid11