pedro

MOC - Blade Runner Police Spinner 44

Hey Everyone,

Between work and a semi-dark age it’s been some time since I last posted anything here. This is a pet project I’ve been turning over for a while now and at last is ready to share!

brs44.jpg

The Spinner police car features in Ridley Scott’s 1983 neo-noir film, Blade Runner. The Spinner is an “aerodyne” vehicle, capable of driving on the ground or using its powerful jets to carry it into the air and traverse the bleak cityscape of 2019 Los Angeles. Futurist Syd Mead designed the Spinner and was a guest speaker at LEGO company back in 2002. He was gifted a fantastic LEGO Technic model of the vehicle and ever since seeing photos of it I dreamed of creating my own minifigure scaled version.

brs44_3qrtr_front.jpg

I first created the model in LEGO Digital Designer, working through several revisions to get the details right. When it came to sourcing the parts, I found that small few simply weren’t available in blue and had to resort to colouring these myself. Decals were essential to capture the distinctive markings – just wish I could create clear film versions like LEGO do!

brs44_back_left_side.jpg

I've created two minifigures to go witht he Spinner: Deckard, the main protagonist of Blade Runner and Gaff, his detective colleague, both with accessories.

brs44_figs_one.jpg

The Spinner features opening doors on both side.

brs44_figs_two.jpg

I've uploaded this to LEGO Ideas where it's still waiting approval and I'll update this thread when / if that happens. If you like it please support it.

Link to Brickshelf gallery with lots more pictures.

Thanks for looking!

This is fantastic, all the details look just right to me. Shame you couldn't get all of the parts in blue, I am thinking maybe earth blue or black would work as well, since many of the scenes in the movie make the vehicle look almost black. The minifigs look fantastic also. "You've done a man's job, sir", these are "extraordinary things, revel in your time". Can't wait to support on Ideas!

That's really nice of you sir, thanks! Unfortunately the idea has not been approved for LEGO Ideas at this time primarily because of the nature of the subject film. I'm going to remove all inferences to this, focusing specifically on the design itself and try resubmitting it. Fingers crossed!

Good luck, pedro..I am surprised at the objection, considering current themes that are being produced. Bladerunner is much more tame than some of the more recent Batman and other Superhero movies. Perhaps its the "R" rating of the film?

One suggestion is to base the model off of the book, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep," as this is the source material for the film.

This is truly one of my favorite sci-fi franchise, and I think you have done a remarkable job of replicating the Spinner design. The far out futuristic Syd Mead style is really coming through here. Not an easy task to begin with, and all done with LEGO. :thumbup:

Good luck, pedro..I am surprised at the objection, considering current themes that are being produced. Bladerunner is much more tame than some of the more recent Batman and other Superhero movies. Perhaps its the "R" rating of the film?

One suggestion is to base the model off of the book, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep," as this is the source material for the film.

Yes, I'd have thought so too. Lord of the Rings and Batman explore some very dark themes and display disturbing imagery but are fully licensed (and of course, awesome). This wasn't so much supposed to be a a representation of a the film or scene within the film directly, rathermore a recreation of a fantastically designed vehicle by a legendary artist, Syd Mead. As I mentioned above, Mead himself gave a talk at LEGO and was given a model of the Spinner by the design team!

Their decision is made however, so I've resubmitted the project, removing any reference to Blade Runner (and the photos with the minifigs specifically) and try to make it about the vehicle itself and a homage to a great artist, as it was always intended to be. Here's hoping...

Great! Nice details!

Thanks, glad you like it!

This is truly one of my favorite sci-fi franchise, and I think you have done a remarkable job of replicating the Spinner design. The far out futuristic Syd Mead style is really coming through here. Not an easy task to begin with, and all done with LEGO. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! The front prongs / wheel housings were especially hard to get right - I went though many , many iterations of those. At one point while working on the LDD model, I realised I couldn't swing the doors open too! Now there's a nie little slot they fit into with a dome piece to provide friction and "lock" the doors closed.

Can you provide a link to Lego idea.

It is really great!

Cheers. Unfortunately this hasn't been approved yet (see comments above). If it makes it through I'll be sure to post a link.

That's a really nice MOC pedro. :thumbup:

I don't remember the movie (tallk about a bad Sci-Fi moderator!), but it seems very accurate.

The opening doors is a very nice feature.

That's a really nice MOC pedro.

I don't remember the movie (tallk about a bad Sci-Fi moderator!), but it seems very accurate.

The opening doors is a very nice feature.

The movie is a classic… you should definitely add it to your to-watch list.

Very good MOC, reminds me of the movie (and I remember the movie - it was dark and rainy most of the time )

And it would make a great set!

Neo-noir they call it - has such a great feel to it. Thanks for your kind comments!

Very well done. It definitely brings me back to the movie, I haven't seen it in awhile.

Thanks for the positive comments!

It looks like my LEGO Ideas story has ended for now. I resubmitted the project separating it from the franchise, instead focusing on the work of Syd Mead, but unfortunately this wasn't enough for it to pass the review process. I'll likley try again in the future.

In the meantime, I'll finish off the LDD model - including all the amendments I made to the physical model - and once that's done I'll upload it somewhere so anyone who'd like to build there own version can do so. Get your blue spraypaint on standby!

hey Pedro, any chance you could send me a link to the LDD file with your Spinner and the updated doors? I love your design and would like to build it!

EDIT: Trying to reverse engineer it, but those roof tiles behind the main windscreen are making me question my sanity.
What are they, they are not a full 2 studs long it seems, with a blue thin line from the back of the cockpit completing a full 2 stud length?

Edited by CorporalDwayneBricks