dragma

[Software] Lego Catalog and Breakdown Database

Greetings,

One of the things I have found most exasperating about our hobby is trying to find the piece you are looking for, even when you have everything sorted into nice bins / drawers. Which is why I have been working on a Database that allows:

importing the base info files (Color, Category, Parts, Sets, etc...) from XML files from Bricklink.

Importing your sets via an XML file from Bricklink.

Importing all the pieces into the Database and cataloging the Bin / Drawer they go in (I use a grid system i.e. Bin 03 Drawer A3 would be the 3rd drawer down of the left most column.

Capturing screen shots of the parts / minifigs / sets from Bricklink images for local storage.

Breaking down each set for the required parts down to each instruction step (the smallest unit, but they could be grouped together if you want)

Viewing the breakdowns as either all Parts, or filtered by a range of instruction steps, or a named sub build.

Editing individual parts storage locations

There are still a few things I would like to add into it:

Ability to add individual Parts (in the case that Bricklinks downloads are incorrect.)

Ability to remove individual parts (once again, see above)

Ability to import a moc (not sure how I would do this yet.)

Generate a Printable page of parts in collection for labeling the bins / drawers.

Port it to Android (Never done an Android app)

Things I do not see a need for it to do:

Give a running total of elements, It is primarily for locating and helping with rebuilding established sets, so assumptions that you have the parts are made. Though with some Ideas I could be persuaded otherwise.

It is currently coded in C3 WPF, using a SQL CE database file for storage. I am testing it out with my normal winter village build and so far seems to be working as I had hoped. Much better then the previous attempt.

Anyways the point I am bring this up is I am looking at generating interest. what you opinions are, and what you might think of as a cool/neat feature that might be added.

Thanks for reading. I may be posting screenshots later.

I think this is a great idea. It'll force me to get properly organized and will make it much easier to find things. I appreciate you thinking about a "mobile" version, android would be the best. I don't have a computer by my lego storage so being able to use a phone would be nice and simple.

I'm a little confused of not wanting to add totals though. If this database is a "Catalog and Breakdown" database then I make the assumption that all my parts will be visible or searchable. Maybe some screen shots or something would better explain it for me.

Thanks. Been working on it off and on for a few years now. I will post some screen shots of the windows app soon.

As for totals, it does list the totals for each set/step but not the grand totals.

As I stated here are some screen shots, The UI is currently functional, but not Pretty:

The Main window: https://flic.kr/p/qgWZeR

The part Importer: https://flic.kr/p/pZzb69

the breakdown: https://flic.kr/p/qgWYM8

The Viewer: https://flic.kr/p/pZynV1

Unfortunately it does not seed I can currently do images directly but if you follow the links you will see for your self.

Unfortunately it does not seed I can currently do images directly but if you follow the links you will see for your self.

If you want to share images directly on the forum I suggest you to use one of the LEGO related hosting services, brickshelf or bricksafe.

There you can host images and other related files and make direct links.

PS: pay attention to avoid too big images! :wink:

If you think to use this topic to introduce and discuss about your software and use the first posts as a presentation (with summary and images), the software could be indexed in this section.

Edited by Calabar

[...]

It's possible to insert images from Flickr, but since the Flickr redesign, the option is a bit muffled away.

You can press the share button at the bottom right corner of the black area and choose the bbcode option. Then copy-paste the text. However, for me it's only possible to select the small square option, I don't know if you need to be logged in to see the other versions.

You can also press the download button right next to the share button and then choose "view all sizes". Then, select the wanted size and right click on the image and choose something like "copy image location". The exact text depends on your OS, browser and language. Then, select the insert image button here on EB, under the smiley, and paste the link.

:wink:

Hello Dragma,

This is a very interesting tool you are working on and I am VERY interested in checking it out.

My personal LEGO collection is over 100,000 pieces which is all organized and pulling parts for a nephew to build a set is really time consuming even though it's organized.

I'm also building up a stock of brick to eventually become a Bricklink store. I'm interested in seeing how your software could help with that as well.

I would be very interested in becoming a beta tester for you if possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

KentM

Well, back after a short hiatus. I am still working on this but ran into a bit of a stumbling block. Namely the size that the database can get to, as well as learning the ins and outs of the Android coding structure.

Currently my plan is now to just catalog by set, and still indicate where each piece is. With luck the size will not get out of hand.

I will come back when I have something more concrete to show off.