EdWebhead

Christmas!

So Christmas is next month, but it's quickly approaching. I'm already seeing decorations and such all over the place. It just makes me excited! :grin:

So who else is excited?

I don't know where are you. But where I am, there aren't too much christmas decorations and Santa Claus parades everywhere.

On my street, 2 houses have their christmas decorations out O_O!!

While we are slowly getting our tree up...

In the US we generally wait til the end of November

Not around here. I've seen Christmas lights and decorations out already. Some radio stations are also playing Christmas music.

But I, personally, am with your statement. I wait till Thanksgiving weekend/end of November before I get in the Christmas mood.

Here they start selling Xmas stuff and decorating in October. By the time Xmas actually arrives, I'm sick of it already. That's how it's been for me the last few years.

I don't understand why they can't just WAIT until December 1st, until the very month where Xmas is in, starts!

On my street, 2 houses have their christmas decorations out O_O!!

While we are slowly getting our tree up...

It's probably not a bad idea to put up the outside Christmas decorations before it gets really cold and snowing. Nothing like getting frost bitten fingers stringing up the lights to say Christmas in Canada. :laugh:

It certainly is Christmas weather in North Texas with flurries last night. In all likelihood, Christmas will probably be actually warmer than what we experiencd this week, it usually is. The fact that Thanksgiving is a week and a half away makes me think it is too early to get into the Christmas mood. Once Thanksgiving rolls around and we are in the day after, then we will get the tree out and get the house decorated that weekend. Just like last year, it is a late Thanksgiving. December is going to quickly be here once we reach that point.

My family and I usually put up our Christmas decorations on the 12th of December. Why? Thats an old question, but I suppose its better setting it up closer to Christmas day, as you know Christmas is less than two weeks away. A lot of people around my area tend to start putting up decrations from December 1st onwards, which makes more sense than putting it up on November 1st!

I've already seen trees.

A bit early, but whatever. Christmas is wonderful, although starting it too early may end up making the actual season less special...

Edited by Borador

In the US we generally wait til the end of November

Mmmm... yes, OK. "Generally." A lot of people don't, but I would say most do.

My family and I usually put up our Christmas decorations on the 12th of December. Why? Thats an old question, but I suppose its better setting it up closer to Christmas day, as you know Christmas is less than two weeks away. A lot of people around my area tend to start putting up decrations from December 1st onwards, which makes more sense than putting it up on November 1st!

Thing is, picking a specific date doesn't work for most people. Most working people (myself included) need a weekend... a relatively free from activities weekend. Our kids do too many things, and often have activities on the weekends... or at least Saturdays, in which case we need to do our week's food shopping on Sunday which, for some idiotic reason, takes several hours instead of the 90 minutes (tops) it should take because we start at a warehouse club and then finish off at a regular supermarket.

Given hanging lights outside and decorating inside, and trying to keep it fun, it can take all day. I actually have a pretty decent sized house... or at least a lot of roofline (split level... note to self, never buy a split level house) to cover.

Of course, you can split it over several days. So I make it a point to take off M-T-W on the week of Thanksgiving (I get T and F). That week then includes a lot of things - like raking leaves and a final cut of the lawn and trimming bushes before I get to decorate. It also gives me flexibility if it's raining. The weekend after Thanksgiving is also bad... my daughter is in a ballet company and they perform several times on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and one performance the Monday after (yes, she misses school... it's the charity performance for schools from lower income districts).

Anyway, the result is that my decorations are generally up by Thanksgiving. That doesn't mean we have to turn on the lights right away, but there's still wreathes and other decorations, both inside and outside (and you can see the tree from outside). At the same time, we feel like "well, that was a lot of work... might as well get the most out of it," and generally do start turning on the lights right away.

When the kids were little and we had more free time, we might wait a week or two after Thanksgiving, but that just doesn't work anymore. If I don't do it when I know I have time, it might not get done at all. Even when the kids were little it was still a problem when we had a lot of rain... one year it was just days before Christmas.

Where I live there aren't that many decorations. Like alot of other places mentioned, they only start rolling out in December. As far as shops are concerned they're slowly bringing out Christmas Deals and stock.

Given hanging lights outside and decorating inside, and trying to keep it fun, it can take all day. I actually have a pretty decent sized house... or at least a lot of roofline (split level... note to self, never buy a split level house) to cover.

Some of my neighbors leave their lights hung out all year and light them only during the Christmas Holiday season. I guess they're not too crazy about being two stories up on a ladder every year.

Well, the Walmart near me has had Christmas stuff up for a couple weeks now, and a small few tree shops were open before Halloween. But Christmas doesn't go full swing until close to thanksgiving. Which is pretty close actually... (man, already?)

Anyway, I usually get and decorate a tree the weekend after thanksgiving. I probably won't have time to, but one year I'd like to do something like this: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44963

I put up our outside lights today. Like dr_spock said, it's not nice doing it when it's minus twenty outside. Next weekend it will be time to buy the tree and decorate it. That's when I really start getting excited for Christmas. I think its the smell of a fresh pine In the house that brings it home for me.

On the topic of Christmas, one thing that you can never do too early is to grab the Advent Calendar sets for your kids. The City, Star Wars, and Friends sets are all sold out in the US. If you plan to get your kids or yourself one, get to a store immediately. It seems like they all sold out last year before December as well.

On the topic of Christmas, one thing that you can never do too early is to grab the Advent Calendar sets for your kids. The City, Star Wars, and Friends sets are all sold out in the US. If you plan to get your kids or yourself one, get to a store immediately. It seems like they all sold out last year before December as well.

I got mine in August :grin: . Costco had a great deal, so I snatched it.

Speaking of which, one more week until Day 1!

I put up our outside lights today. Like dr_spock said, it's not nice doing it when it's minus twenty outside. Next weekend it will be time to buy the tree and decorate it. That's when I really start getting excited for Christmas. I think its the smell of a fresh pine In the house that brings it home for me.

It was 65 degrees in Boston today, I begrudgingly put the lights up before Thanksgiving because who knows how many more decent days to do it we will have.