Capn Frank

USS Constitution: a work in progress

OMG! There's some kind of furry beast making its move to attack! Watch out Phred! X-D I see you too trust the power of the (X)box.

Wow, those spardeck walls are gigantic. Nonetheless it's shaping up great! I really like te side ladders, probably one of the most mundaine details you put in *wub*

Keepu up the good work, is all I can say *y*

Nice progress!

Those do look like some good columns/mast on the building. I still wonder if your implementation will be strong enough when it gets taller.

Maybe the folder isn't public yet or something, but when I clicked the link, all I got was a photo scooter... you might want to check on that.

As for the capstans, I it looks like you are on the right track... did actual capstans rotate independently? I guess I would have though they would, but I never looked into it!

Edited by ZCerberus

Wow nothing short of magnificent and impressive, i am very quickly becoming a fan of yours. Your Dog is beautiful, in Australia we have them as sheep dogs alot, a think by looking at him/her that its a red healer or blue healer.

As for the Spar decks its my opinion that its the right size, its just that for now they are not looking proportional to the unfinished length and size of the boat. But i reserve complete opinion on that till i see it finished.

It was well worth the sleepless night for this pix... i hadn't the time to comment them back then, but im just as impressed the first time i saw the pics the second time round. Keep up the good work!

Thanx Guys.

Things appear to be coming along nicely Phred! What year are you expecting completion - 2015? X-D

I'm hoping to have the portion above the water complete by June 2009,

but i'm not making any promises.

The stern may be more complex than the bow to get all the curves and angles right (or close to right).

Then, if i still have the motivation, I'll make the portion of this ship below the waterline.

OMG! There's some kind of furry beast making its move to attack! Watch out Phred! X-D I see you too trust the power of the (X)box.

Yes, it is the power of the Xbox that holds back the great (cute looking) beast. :-P

Nice progress!

Those do look like some good columns/mast on the building. I still wonder if your implementation will be strong enough when it gets taller.

Maybe the folder isn't public yet or something, but when I clicked the link, all I got was a photo scooter... you might want to check on that.

As for the capstans, I it looks like you are on the right track... did actual capstans rotate independently? I guess I would have though they would, but I never looked into it!

The only parts these masts are fragile at is where they connect at the top and bottom.

The 1x8 or 1x10 plates on the sides provide a lot of strength.

Hopefully my rigging will be able to keep the masts stable.

The rigging i've made on my recent ships provided a lot of strength to the masts,

LOL! I saw that scooter on BL looking for that Town Center. :-D

It was the best scooter i've seen on B-L. :-$

I'll fix the link once i post this.

Yes, I'm sure that the capstans spin independently,

but only because i double checked on the Constitutions Website. X-D

Wow nothing short of magnificent and impressive, i am very quickly becoming a fan of yours. Your Dog is beautiful, in Australia we have them as sheep dogs alot, a think by looking at him/her that its a red healer or blue healer.

Thanx for the compliments Cpt. Blockbeard.

Yup, he's a Blue Healer.

Maslow (in the pic) loves chasing cattle and horses on my family's farms.

He can't help it.

From pics i've seen on the constitution, the spar deck walls before the hammock netting, is taller than a person.

It makes sense, because then the crew on the spar deck is that much more protected.

This also may explain why in most fights these frigates have seen, there were few casualties when they weren't boarded.

P

Phredit:

I've totally changed the way the capstan is designed after looking through B-L for hours to see what type of bricks are available.

The next design will look much closer to the design of the current capstan.

Instead of using bricks i already have, there are a few bricks i can buy that make it more accurate and sturdy like these:

60474.gif30062.gif

I love the captain. Finaly someone else that agrees that pirate hats without the skull and crossbones look good for imperial navy men. Hope that face doesn't mean a ship turned pirate though.... Well done!

Regards, Captain Zuloo

Hope that face doesn't mean a ship turned pirate though.

The only reason my sig-figs face was used originally used is because all my bricks were half way across wisconsin at the time.

ZCerberus is now the captain since the orignal posting of the first Capstan Pics. :-$

Since i don't have the Red Admiral Torso, and i love throwing Z in my MOCs,

so i've made him the Captain of the Constitution. :-$

(Hopefully he doesn't mind 8-| )

Here's a current pic:

HPIM3454.jpg

On the left is a Marine Sergeant, then a Lieutenant (Exobuilder X-D ), Captain ZCerberus, and a Boat Swain.

Yes, i love those pure black Bicorns for officers. *y*

They turn out very nicely and more realistic depending on the type of Bicorn worn.

P

Your ship is coming along very nicely bro.

Then, if i still have the motivation, I'll make the portion of this ship below the waterline.

I think you are going to have to make the part below the waterline. For one thing it will complete the ship and make it look even better than it already is. Besides that, I am not saying it has to be done right away, but it will greatly help us in determining how fast our other ships will be able to go. Not only will this be vital to our gaming, but it will give everyone else an idea of just how fast or slow many of the non-MOC ships are.

Duke

I think you are going to have to make the part below the waterline. For one thing it will complete the ship and make it look even better than it already is. Besides that, I am not saying it has to be done right away, but it will greatly help us in determining how fast our other ships will be able to go. Not only will this be vital to our gaming, but it will give everyone else an idea of just how fast or slow many of the non-MOC ships are.

I probably will make the ship below the waterline, but there may be other projects that i'd like to work on before starting it.

Also, if you'd start on your mega project, i may be more motivated to complete the entire Constitution. :-P

Does that mean that you can use it as a play model as well as a decorative model?

Captain Zuloo :-D

Yes it does. *y*

I'm trying to have every part of the ship as accessible as possible without sacrificing looks or strength.

Also, i plan on have multiple component functional too.

-For instance, i've just finished the gearing and it's now ready work all four anchor cables and two crane cables on the masts.

-(I have no idea how to do it yet but...) i plan on having the rudder fuller functional by the steering wheel.

-Then there's hand crank water pump on the gundeck that i'd like to have functional also.

P

I must say your boats swain bears a striking resemblance to Bonaparte. Or do you fail to see so? :-P

By the way, as good as the light bley cat head might look, I believe it's simply too big! How 'bout using something else to decorate the end of the beams? Not all cat-head beams were decorated with cat heads afterall. Just a lot, but not all *pirate*

I must say your boats swain bears a striking resemblance to Bonaparte. Or do you fail to see so? :-P

By the way, as good as the light bley cat head might look, I believe it's simply too big! How 'bout using something else to decorate the end of the beams? Not all cat-head beams were decorated with cat heads afterall. Just a lot, but not all *pirate*

I was just looking for a guy with a serious face, because boat swains didn't seem like happy fellows. :-D

I think you are right. :'-(

I may end up using a decal on a 2x2 tile instead.

Hmm...

...so with that said, any body want to make a decal for me with this cathead? X-D

cathead1.gif

P

I think you are right. :'-(

I may end up using a decal on a 2x2 tile instead.

Hmm...

...so with that said, any body want to make a decal for me with this cathead? X-D

I have to disagree with you guys on this one. I don't think that the figure on the real ship is smaller than 2x3x3. In fact I would bet that it is very close to that, if not bigger. If anything you could make your extension a bit taller to make the figure look right at home. I honestly feel that this is as close to the real thing you are going to get. There are also tan and dark gray ones available on bricklink, if you want to look at more color options.

Duke

I have to disagree with you guys on this one. I don't think that the figure on the real ship is smaller than 2x3x3. In fact I would bet that it is very close to that, if not bigger. If anything you could make your extension a bit taller to make the figure look right at home. I honestly feel that this is as close to the real thing you are going to get. There are also tan and dark gray ones available on bricklink, if you want to look at more color options.

Duke

I might agree, but it would be handy to see the cathead with the entire ship to compare it's size i think..

I have to agree with my brother.

I think the size of the cathead should be a maximum of 2x2.

Your gunports are 3x3 so just look at the difference in size between the cathead and the gunport on the pic of the real ship you posted to see what i mean ;-)

Your gunports are 3x3 so just look at the difference in size between the cathead and the gunport on the pic of the real ship you posted to see what i mean ;-)

Wow, good thinking... *y*

The size of the top gun ports are around 4x4, so I think the figure is likely around 2x2. The lion head figure is 2x3. I still think you can't beat it if going for realism and how else can you get close to that 3d figure?

The size of the top gun ports are around 4x4, so I think the figure is likely around 2x2. The lion head figure is 2x3. I still think you can't beat it if going for realism and how else can you get close to that 3d figure?

Cut it a bit perhaps...

actually the carronade ports are 4x4 8-|

The carronada barrels were a little bigger, but i think it looks real nice. *sweet*

Anywayz...

Cut it a bit perhaps...

Cut up Lego!! X-O

Are you crazy?!?

Hmm...

That's not such a bad idea. X-D

And place black decals along the sides too or...

...since i'm cutting up a brick anyways, i could just paint it. *skull*

I'm waiting on 3 small B-L orders right now to continue progress on the ship.

Special plates for the capstan and wedge plates for the decking.

P

actually the carronade ports are 4x4 8-|

The carronada barrels were a little bigger, but i think it looks real nice. *sweet*

Anywayz...

Cut up Lego!! X-O

Are you crazy?!?

Hmm...

That's not such a bad idea. X-D

And place black decals along the sides too or...

...since i'm cutting up a brick anyways, i could just paint it. *skull*

I'm waiting on 3 small B-L orders right now to continue progress on the ship.

Special plates for the capstan and wedge plates for the decking.

P

I was looking into the cutting the other day, you can easily cut off two plates...with a tile on top the total hight would be 2 bricks + 2 plates.....and the lion heads will be more easily to use then they are now.. *sweet*

I suggest to you to NEVER cut or paint Legos. I did it with some accesories and mini-figures when I was a child and now I regret it very much :'-(

It will maybe cool for this specific creation but after it will become an useless brick...

Well, it's just my opinion X-D but remember that:

Lego wouldn't do it to you... LOL :-P

...with a tile on top the total hight would be 2 bricks + 2 plates...

Yes, a 2x2 lion head would be ideal. :-$

It will maybe cool for this specific creation but after it will become an useless brick...

Don't worry, it'll only be mutilating 50 cents worth of bricks.

Plus i don't plan on tearing this ship apart unless i'm improving it for a long time. X-D

I'd like to purchase a couple of tan lion's head bricks in my next B-L order. *sweet*

P

Lookin good there Phred.

We'll have to see if a 44 gun US frigate can beat a 44 gun British frigate there sometime....although with all those carronades I'll have to keep my distance.

Aaron

Lookin good there Phred.

We'll have to see if a 44 gun US frigate can beat a 44 gun British frigate there sometime....although with all those carronades I'll have to keep my distance.

Aaron

Yes, we'll definitely have to see. ;-)

Feel free to place some on your ship too. X-D

P