IvanStorm

MEC Category B: Hobbiton Open-air Museum

What is Middle-earth like after Sauron is defeated and elves and wizards are gone? This question definitely fired up my imagination, and the “no size limitations whatsoever” clause let it run completely wild – so that I barely managed to finish the model in time. Here’s the Hobbiton Open-air Museum, my contribution to MEC.

15651218646_dc9eae71f4_c.jpg

500 years have passed since the fall of Sauron. Middle-earth has enjoyed an era of peace and prosperity like never before. While the elves weren’t interested in any kind of innovation, men were eager for new tools and technology. It wasn’t long before an industrial revolution transformed the realm, fueled by Saruman’s designs and notes found in Orthanc. What he envisioned as tools of destruction became means of energy generation and mass-production.

While men quickly multiplied and settled the largely deserted Arnor, hobbits held on tight to their rustic lifestyle. Being revered for their contribution to the War of the Ring, they were left alone by men, with the entire Shire proclaimed a cultural reserve. Tourism quickly became a lucrative industry, second only to pipe-weed exports. Hobbiton, being the most famous place, was turned into an open-air museum, receiving thousands of visitors from all around the realm.

15489065609_e24576b321_c.jpg

Bag End and Sam’s hole just down the road were carefully preserved. A tour group is seen exploring them here. Mostly consisting of humans, it includes one very unusual visitor – a Gundabad orc. While most orcs still continued living their semi-savage lives in the mountains, some attempted to join the human society. They were unfortunately met with distrust and heavy prejudice. This orc is clearly overcompensating by wearing a formal suit and carrying a briefcase.

15489564348_e95d2f732d_c.jpg

A couple of roleplayers are impersonating Frodo and Sam. They are taking their time snapping pictures of each other in the Bag End’s doorway, and the girl at the gates is getting impatient.

15489567688_741d2156bd_c.jpg

A beautiful view down the road on the Water and the Old Mill.

15490151360_d101e8c803_c.jpg

Gardeners hold special respect in the Shire, a tradition started even before Sam the Gardener made the profession famous. Assisted by modern technology, hobbits do a great job keeping the open-air museum vibrantly colorful, with well-tended little gardens, flowers and fruit trees.

15489575248_bc6bba40f9_c.jpg

Another hobbit gardener at work. In the background there’s Sam’s hole and a nice open area leading down to the Water. It’s off-limits to visitors, but makes for a good photo opportunity.

Thank you for reading! There are some additional pictures here, if you’re interested:

https://www.flickr.c...57648646062089/

I was lucky to visit Hobbiton in New Zealand a couple of years ago – it made a big impression on me and I drew a lot of my inspiration from that. Initially I intended the model to be as close to the real thing as possible and include The Green Dragon, but in the end had to compromise and steer to what was best for display purposes (and my shelf space!). Still, I think I managed to capture the spirit of that wonderful place.

So colorful, and full of details that it really looks coming to life.

Excellent entry. :thumbup:

It's so cool to see creations from all over the world for a contest and be part of it. It's really nice to compete and share creativity with talents AFOLs. Congrats for the nice idea and MOC! Good luck!

What an interesting plot twist! Modern tech + hobbits :laugh: A massive and a well built diorama, I really love it.

Edited by Zblj

A really good Hobbiton MOC. :thumbup:

But not quite true to the book. :thumbdown:

Just curious, which part(s) do you deem not true to the book? I hope you read the description I supplied, otherwise the pictures probably won't make much sense :)

Edited by IvanStorm

The hobbiton you created is quite impressive. But the story is even better! Orcs trying to join society, i love it!

Thanks! I hope you're not the only one who actually read it :)

That almost makes me want to visit NZ.

MOCs like these are the very reason I created a MOCs that don't fit in the regular storyline but feature LOTR characters or parts from LOTR sets

In my LOTR moc index :)

That almost makes me want to visit NZ.

MOCs like these are the very reason I created a MOCs that don't fit in the regular storyline but feature LOTR characters or parts from LOTR sets

In my LOTR moc index :)

NZ is amazing. Being "Middle-earth" is just a very small part of it. Unfortunately, flying there costs a small fortune, otherwise I'd go every winter :)

Thanks for adding me to the index!

What a fantastic MOC! The detail is outstanding and the backstory is quite entertaining. Hopefully the Gundabad orc will be assimilated into society. I could imagine the gift shop full of

Stings and one rings. If such a setup exists in NZ, that is just one more reason to go. Now, about that airfare......This would be very competitive in a contest indeed.